Where do we stand? Name your team.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the HC season over for all Irish provinces..sadly.
    I think it'd be a good time to look at where we stand when it comes to good old Joe.

Yes..this could have waited until the Rabo was over, but I'm recovering from a night out on this fine bank holiday Monday and I'm bored..so..

After all the rugby we've seen since the 6 Nations, who now would make the Irish team. Not the summer tour, but the strongest team we have.

All players are to be included, regardless of injury.
    1-15 and bench.

Who's played themselves in and out of the Irish team.

(On a side note..would really help if this didn't turn into a Zebo/D. Kearney bitchfest.)
    Last edited by Stringer9; 5th-May-2014, 16:11.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Some conflict here, with the notion of "included regardless of injury" alongside the notion of playing on or off. So are we going on form or overall ability? A blend below:

Kearney
    Earls
    We're ****ed.
    Marshall
    Zebo
    Sexton (Keatley pushing hard)
    Healy
    Varley
    Moore
    Ryan
    POC
    POM
    TOD
    SOB
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
      Some conflict here, with the notion of "included regardless of injury" alongside the notion of playing on or off. So are we going on form or overall ability? A blend below:

Kearney
      Earls
      We're ****ed.
      Marshall
      Zebo
      Healy
      Varley
      Moore
      Ryan
      POC
      POM
      TOD
      SOB
      Agree that after their HEC campaigns, Keatley and Jackson should be ahead of Madigan. Do you mean SOB at 8? If so good call. Would be happy with Henry and TOD sharing 7, horses for courses. POM the outstanding 6. Unless Donn Ryan makes a 100% recovery to 2012/2013 form, then Devin starts with POC. For me, a fully fit Sherry could be a bolter. Trimble ahead of Earls as of now. Best top 2. Reckon Ian Henderson will challenge big time.

Comment

Henry was excellent at seven, I'd start him
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Also I think we will need a nine
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
            Also I think we will need a nine
            The game is moving on Sewa. The notion of having to have someone in every shirt is a bit outmoded.

Ok. Murray so.

Agree on Henry, but I think TOD gives us another carrier that we really need. Horses for courses, as IC said. Dougall may push there too.

I think SOB to 8 could give us a massively powerful carrying unit. If he doesn't move, he hangs onto the 7 shirt on his best form.

Interesting to see what will happen with Stander in the long term, if he declares. He's be nailed on on current form.

Area of concern for me is 13. I think Trimble played well in the 6N, but Earls brings a lot more there I think. If he commits to the wing, we're looking optimistically at a list of converts.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Healy
              Strauss
              Moore
              Poc
              Henderson
              Pom
              Henry
              Sob
              Murray
              Sexton
              Zebo
              Marshall
              Henshaw
              Bowe
              Kearney

Varley McGrath Archer Toner Tod Reddan Keatley Earls

Like to see Marmion/ luke mcgrath have big seasons. Killer sorts out his pen count and he's right there.
              "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

Kearney
                Earls
                We're ****ed.
                Marshall
                Zebo
                Healy
                Varley
                Moore
                Ryan
                POC
                POM
                TOD
                SOB
                Ya didn't think of that.
                I was asking, what our strongest team is with all players available.
                I suppose just base it on recent form. Pretty hard to put them in ahead of players if they've been out for a couple months I guess but I guess base it on the players from 6 Nations on maybe?

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

Comment

Sean O'Brien is a quality quality player but his inclusion disrupts the fantastic balance we saw from our backrow in the 6 Nations.

O'Mahony, Henry and Heaslip still the best unit we have as backrow. Launching in the bulldozing Tullow Tank as our #20 impact player could end up being his best role for the national team.

Similarly Bowe is a classy act but Earls and Trimble would be a brilliant wing pairing that would complement each other very well.

01 Cian Healy
                  02 Rory Best
                  03 Mike Ross
                  04 Devin Toner
                  05 Paul O'Connell (c)
                  06 Peter O'Mahony
                  07 Chris Henry
                  08 Jamie Heaslip
                  09 Conor Murray
                  10 Jonathan Sexton
                  11 Keith Earls
                  12 Gordon Darcy
                  13 Robbie Henshaw
                  14 Andrew Trimble
                  15 Rob Kearney

16 Sean Cronin
                  17 Jack McGrath
                  18 Marty Moore
                  19 Donnacha Ryan
                  20 Sean O'Brien
                  21 Eoin Reddan
                  22 Paddy Jackson
                  23 Tommy Bowe

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie the Flanker View Post
                    Sean O'Brien is a quality quality player but his inclusion disrupts the fantastic balance we saw from our backrow in the 6 Nations.

O'Mahony, Henry and Heaslip still the best unit we have as backrow. Launching in the bulldozing Tullow Tank as our #20 impact player could end up being his best role for the national team.

Similarly Bowe is a classy act but Earls and Trimble would be a brilliant wing pairing that would complement each other very well.

01 Cian Healy
                    02 Rory Best
                    03 Mike Ross
                    04 Devin Toner
                    05 Paul O'Connell (c)
                    06 Peter O'Mahony
                    07 Chris Henry
                    08 Jamie Heaslip
                    09 Conor Murray
                    10 Jonathan Sexton
                    11 Keith Earls
                    12 Gordon Darcy
                    13 Robbie Henshaw
                    14 Andrew Trimble
                    15 Rob Kearney

16 Sean Cronin
                    17 Jack McGrath
                    18 Marty Moore
                    19 Donnacha Ryan
                    20 Sean O'Brien
                    21 Eoin Reddan
                    22 Paddy Jackson
                    23 Tommy Bowe
                    Short memories on here. SOB's last outing in green was schooling McCaw. Our back row were excellent in the 6N but SOB on form demands inclusion.

Comment

SOB is a natural 8, he'd love the role Armitage has for Toulon, reckon he is perfect for it. If D.Ryan was fully fit he'd be a starter no question. Varley is a better hooker than Cronin is, that said Cronin offers you a dynamic option in multiple positions so its a tough call, surprised he hasn't been used as a back row occasionally when injuries hit. McGrath isn't fit to lace Killers boots, Reddan needs replacing so Marmion or Duncan Williams for me. Jackson, Keatley and Sexton will be a huge battle over the next 12 months with the massively overrated Sexton being usurped imo
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

There's no show like a Joe show
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

SOB is a natural 8, he'd love the role Armitage has for Toulon, reckon he is perfect for it. If D.Ryan was fully fit he'd be a starter no question. Varley is a better hooker than Cronin is, that said Cronin offers you a dynamic option in multiple positions so its a tough call, surprised he hasn't been used as a back row occasionally when injuries hit. McGrath isn't fit to lace Killers boots, Reddan needs replacing so Marmion or Duncan Williams for me. Jackson, Keatley and Sexton will be a huge battle over the next 12 months with the massively overrated Sexton being usurped imo
                          Interesting to see what will happen with SOB. POM's a no brainer but there's also Heaslip, who I can't see not starting under Schmidt. I can't see Heaslip sitting in the bench. But SOB on form is outstanding. Only time will tell.

Reddan needs replacing but I'd definitely go with Marmion. As well as Williams has done lately, there's no way in the wide world he's an international 9.

The battle for 10 will be interesting. I think Sexton will be the starting 10 unless there's a massive shock.
                          Surely to God Madigan will be out of the picture and it'll be between Keatley and Jackson. I'd also like to think that JJ will be given a chance. But that's 5 players looking at two positions if you include the bench. (Gone are the days of widespread panic if ROG was injured.)

The fight over the positions on the wings will also be an interesting one.
                          Eg. Earls, Bowe, Zebo, Trimble, D.Kearney..some big calls to be made.

It'll be an interesting few months.
                          Last edited by Stringer9; 5th-May-2014, 23:08.

Comment

Sorry Stringer 9 but if Dave Kearney is even in the mix then Joe S needs sacking, simply cant do whats required in attack
                            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Sorry Stringer 9 but if Dave Kearney is even in the mix then Joe S needs sacking, simply cant do whats required in attack
                              Absolutely 100% shouldn't be there, but Schmidt seems a big fan. He's picked his "style" over Zebo, for the 6 Nations. That was picking him over an attacking player. It wouldn't surprise me if he did it again.
                              It would be ridiculous but it wouldn't surprise me. I think it'll be criminal if Zebo is excluded, but then you've Bowe and Earls, and also Trimble who's work rate is massive.
                              Last edited by Stringer9; 5th-May-2014, 23:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X