No announcement yet.

Tour to Argentina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading between the lines I think that guys like Healy, Best, Ross, POC, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton and possibly Kearney i.e. guys who have been heavily involved with rugby since the Lions probably won't go whilst more established players that have not played that much this term could form the experienced core of the side.

I could imagine we will see something like:

Props-Moore, Archer, Fitzpatrick, McGrath, Cronin/Kilcoyne
    Hookers-Strauss, Cronin, Varley
    Locks-Toner, Ryan, Touhy, Henderson, McCarthy
    Backrow-Henry, TOD, Ferris, POM (Captain), Ruddock, Murphy
    Scrumhalves-Reddan, Marmion, Boss
    OH's-Jackson, Keatley, Madigan
    Centres-Dorse, Cave, McFadden, Henshaw
    Wingers-Trimble, Daverage, Bowe, Earls
    FBs-Jones

Wouldn't mind seeing a starting XV looking like:

1-McGrath, 2-Cronin, 3-Moore, 4-Toner, 5-Ryan, 6-Ferris, 7-Henry, 8-POM (c), 9-Reddan, 10-Jackson, 11-Bowe, 12-D'Arcy, 13-Henshaw, 14-Trimble, 15-Earls

Strauss, Cronin, Archer, Henderson, TOD/Murphy/Ruddock, Marmion, Madigan, McFadden

Not actually convinced we will see Zebo back at all unless he buries the hatchet with Schmidt after whatever has went on there. Centre's lacking obvious quality in the potential absence of Luke Marshall and retirement of BOD. At this stage you'd think Henshaw has been pencilled in to partner Dorse. I would have been as critical as the next man about D'Arcy of 2011/2012 but I do think he is back playing some good rugby. Defensively whilst Bastereaud ran over him once or twice early on this was not repeated as the match wore on and everyone got to grips with their position. D'Arcy is also a much smaller man than guys like Basteraud and Burrell but he is not getting fobbed off as easily as he did against MIke Phillips in 2011 or Graeme Morrison/Rougerie in 2012. Given his selections thus far you might also reasonably assume that a new 13 will be bedded in alongside a Sexto/Dorse combo.

Big emphasis on all guys getting game time with a view to rotating for the second test or are we playing another invitiation type game on the tour? The emphasis has to be about further, more general, squad development that we missed out during the 6N due quite genuine good fortune with injuries in losing only Touhy and Marshall to injury during the tournament which would have seemed almost unthinkable at the start of a tournament.

If we are heading into the 6N next season with 30 or so players that can step into the side and not result in a collective in-take of breath and some quick prayers uttered to higher powers I will be happy enough. You always need some luck in any tournament and next 6N and RWC will be no different. Another 6N is the obvious target for next season but with that would come serious confidence going into the RWC.

Comment

Very interesting interview with Joe S, only ten games to RWC, every game is huge, as a result you can expect sweet FA experimentation. Fair play to him he is being honest anyway
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
        The Top14 final is the week before the first test so the Argies should have a relatively full strength squad to pick from, injuries permitting.
        Argentina don't select their top players in June. They have an agreement with the overseas clubs to only play them in the Rugby Championship. Gives those players a proper off-season.

Comment

Schmidt relishes Irish competition ahead of Cup
          PADRAIC HALPIN
          Ireland's Six Nations success has handed coach Joe Schmidt a dilemma, the New Zealander said on Tuesday, anticipating fierce competition for places ahead of next year's World Cup.

Ireland won their second title in 29 years with a heart-stopping win in France on Saturday having rarely changed their team throughout with former fringe players like David Kearney, Devin Toner and Andrew Trimble grasping their opportunities.

The challenge now is whether continuity can be sacrificed to give a chance to those on the sidelines, many of whom are British and Irish Lions.

"There's 10 test matches before we start the lead up to the World Cup and I did anticipate probably that we would have used more than 18 starting players and that would have been through natural attrition," Schmidt told a news conference.

"If you do start leaving people out, then maybe you start to compromise that continuity that you're trying to build. I guess that's one of the questions we'll ask ourselves.

"There are some guys who haven't played too much lately who are looking pretty fresh, guys like Stephen Ferris, Donnacha Ryan, Tommy Bowe, to name a few. There'll be some nice competition for places there as well."

Competition is set to be particularly intense on the wings and in the back row. Trimble and Kearney, arguably fifth and sixth choice wingers a year ago, have pushed Munster flyer Simon Zebo out of the reckoning and a fit again Bowe found his services were not required for Paris.

At flanker, Chris Henry's tireless tackling and work rate saw the backrow function flawlessly without former European player of the year Sean O'Brien, while Ferris, a fixture in the side before injury ruled him out for 16 months, made a big impact on his return to action for Ulster on Friday.

That is before the young Leinster duo of Jordi Muprhy and Rhys Ruddock, Ulster's Iain Henderson, a starter against Italy, and much improved Munster flanker Tommy O'Donnell come into the reckoning.

REPLACING O'DRISCOLL

One position where Ireland's fortunes are a little more unknown is at second centre after Brian O'Driscoll, the game's most capped international, played his final game in green on Saturday.

Connacht's Robbie Henshaw, 20, and the more seasoned Ulster centre Darren Cave, gleaned all they could from O'Driscoll in camp over the last few weeks, while Schmidt also mentioned Leinster's Luke Fitzgerald and the soon-to-be nationalised Jared Payne as other contenders for the famous number 13 jersey.

Asked if he would like O'Driscoll to carry on in some capacity to work with his successor, Schmidt said he had already made sure they had taken every opportunity to learn from the four-time British and Irish Lion.

"We've tried to bleed him dry over the last six months, having him at camp, sitting down with Darren (Cave) and Robbie (Henshaw), looking and video and talking through things as we've done them," Schmidt said.

"We'd be delighted if he stayed reasonably close to the group because of the character he is as well as the on field intelligence he has. I know right now, his full focus will be targeting a couple of massive games coming up for his province."

- Reuters

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...n-ahead-of-Cup
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
            If we're leaving players at home for this tour, first in the queue should be those who were on the Lions Tour last Summer and who've played a full season since.
            Which is Heaslip, every other Lions tourist has been injured for significant periods of the season. But that is a coincidence.

Comment

Schimdt said today there are 5 chances to experiment and he will not be rotating the squad in the 2015 6N.
              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                But we won the Six Nations, which justifies not using selection for it as a testing ground for a competition we won't win.
                I wasn't talking about experimenting every position, I meant giving a player or so a go at 13 in the likes of Italy or Scotland games.
                The winning and the losing of the tournament wouldn't have rested on playing or not playing BOD. Besides playing well against Italy, and despite the circus surrounding him leaving he didn't have a massive impact on the games.

I'm not suggesting we will win the WC, but that is such an Irish attitude and do you think England will be going into the tournament thinking they can't win it.
                I would like us to get as far as possible. We're a decent side and I'd like to think we're going to compete and be there or there about later on in the tournament, not to just make up the numbers.

Regardless of whether we've a go chance or not, my point is that there really should have been no need to be still experimenting at who plays 13 right before the WC, which I suspect we will be now. We knew for a long time that this was BOD's year but we have made no preparations for it when it comes to testing players out.
                The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Perhaps the coach thinks his players at 13 are good enough that they won't need three years practice to play the position at the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                    I wasn't talking about experimenting every position, I meant giving a player or so a go at 13 in the likes of Italy or Scotland games.
                    The winning and the losing of the tournament wouldn't have rested on playing or not playing BOD. Besides playing well against Italy, and despite the circus surrounding him leaving he didn't have a massive impact on the games.

I'm not suggesting we will win the WC, but that is such an Irish attitude and do you think England will be going into the tournament thinking they can't win it.
                    I would like us to get as far as possible. We're a decent side and I'd like to think we're going to compete and be there or there about later on in the tournament, not to just make up the numbers.

Regardless of whether we've a go chance or not, my point is that there really should have been no need to be still experimenting at who plays 13 right before the WC, which I suspect we will be now. We knew for a long time that this was BOD's year but we have made no preparations for it when it comes to testing players out.
                    Did you watch the Italy match ? What was our points difference over England at the weekend?
                    He had a massive impact in the Italy and was good in the other games.
                    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Anyone know about tickets? Ticketmaster seems to have no info.

Comment

We have 14 games to go before rwc
                        Argy tour
                        AIs 2014
                        6n 2015
                        Plus 4 games next summer v other home nations. 2 home 2 away.
                        "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

The team is mostly fine, we need to sort out a new 13 and give chances to fringe players to keep pushing the guys with the shirt but otherwise we're in good shape and don't need a dose of experimenting. Replace BOD, take out Dave Kearney and improve the quality of the bench and we've arrived at our World Cup team. There's no mountain to be scaled.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                            We have 14 games to go before rwc
                            Argy tour
                            AIs 2014
                            6n 2015
                            Plus 4 games next summer v other home nations. 2 home 2 away.
                            he's already said the 6 nations is off for rotation
                            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
                              The team is mostly fine, we need to sort out a new 13 and give chances to fringe players to keep pushing the guys with the shirt but otherwise we're in good shape and don't need a dose of experimenting. Replace BOD, take out Dave Kearney and improve the quality of the bench and we've arrived at our World Cup team. There's no mountain to be scaled.
                              What about contingency planning? Sure, we're well covered at second row, back row, and wing, but there are questions about our depth in the front row, in our half-back partnership, and at centre.

If Sexton gets injured, for instance, who are our two backup tens? Jackson and Madigan? Will JJ get a look-in? Same goes for Murray (if he's injured or loses form does Joe take Reddan and Boss or Reddan and Marmion?). Is D'Arcy going to be playing in the next 6Ns and/or WC, or are we looking at a completely new centre partnership between now and then?

If there's going to be no rotation during the next 6Ns, then that doesn't leave a lot of time to try out combinations, and to bed alternative players into his systems.

It doesn't make sense for a man so obsessed with details to be relying so heavily on the fitness/form of such a small number of players.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                                he's already said the 6 nations is off for rotation
                                He also said he expected a lot more injuries in this Six Nations, so it's reasonable to expect we'll see more players next time due to attrition.

Comment

Working...
                                X