Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we rely on our flyhalfs a little too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we rely on our flyhalfs a little too much?

Pretty much as the title suggests. Our 10s seems to be the guys that take the kicks for goal but should we have other alternatives on the pitch? We ve seen the french using their scrum halves to kick goals, hell even the second row that is John Eales used to kick between the posts.

Guys like Humphreys, O'Gara, and Sexton have all had off days when it comes to kicking penalties/conversions. It happens.

Do we really need to be so reliant on our 10s to kick points?

I've heard people suggesting the possibility of Murray, R.Kearney or McFadden to try out placekicking but realistically anyone who isn't kicking every week for their province isn't a runner. Right now the provincial first line kickers are Pienaar, Gopperth, Parks (NIQ) and Keatley (Not international standard), so there is simply no alternative.

Comment

You would wonder why all players do not try to practice kicking at a young age. Why insist on a 10 being the kicker when another player in a different position might have the talent for it.

Also insisting on a 10 to be the kicker could deny other players who are better 10s but not great at goal kicking.

The Australians are best at thinking outside the box on this. They even had a second row as a kicker before.

Comment

The Australians also place very little emphasis on goal kicking. Taking a penalty over going for the corner is almost viewed as a weakness

Comment

I don't think it is insisted that the 10 be the kicker but it is just one of the positions that lends itself best to place kicking and it is worked on as part of the position from a young age once the player has some raw talent at it.

I'm sure these other players have a go at practicing kicking themselves and would be taking kicks for their club and country by now if it was justified regardless of their position.

In an ideal world, your best team would have more than one kicker but even at that I think it would need two regular kickers as Reus suggested above before the idea of handing over kicking responsibilities becomes realistic. ROG and Sexton both being on the field in the 2011 world cup gave us options but Sexton missing a couple and then switching to say Kearney wouldn't inspire confidence.
          Yeah with one foot in the grave and one foot on the pedal, I was born a rebel

Comment

In my best George Hooke accent:
            Place-kicking hasn't changed since Longinus nailed a 50 yarder between the sticks on Calvary hill

It takes technique and nerve.

Almost any athlete can learn the technique - good coaching, visualisation, video work, repetitions...
            ...to the point where most top-level goal kickers have repetitioned themselves into chronic injury.

Nerve is the tricky one.
            The ability to hold your technique when every fibre in your body is twitching and your sphincter is winking out the alphabet in morse code, that is the mark of a great. In placekicking, golf, darts, bowling, snooker... any activity that requires you to hold technique, for a single repetition, under the most nerve-jangling conditions.

Nerve is almost untrainable, some people just have that ice in their veins.
            It gets easier the more often you test it, particularly when you test it successfully.

Back to the point of the thread.
            If nerve is the almost uncontrallable variable - why don't we throw numbers at it.
            Train place-kicking across the squad.
            Identify those who show an aptitude - whatever the number on their back.
            And test their nerve.

Could be some expensive testing mind.
            "There are a lot of other key decision makers who must agree with your plan."
            Johan Erasmus

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
              I've heard people suggesting the possibility of Murray, R.Kearney or McFadden to try out placekicking but realistically anyone who isn't kicking every week for their province isn't a runner. Right now the provincial first line kickers are Pienaar, Gopperth, Parks (NIQ) and Keatley (Not international standard), so there is simply no alternative.
              And there lies the problem

Comment

I don't like seeing young Sexton bursting a gut to get in front of bigger, better-equipped forwards to make tackles
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Article on thescore.ie suggesting that Sexton is coming back this summer for good. MidiOlympique article mentioned
                  I am the million man.

Comment

I'm struggling to think of any decent team with a poor 10. It's the key position. The pivot.
                    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

If the IRFU pay out 700k and then pay him a wage again on top of that it will make a joke of supposed lack of finances given they're giving Heaslip 1.5m over the next 3 year's.
                      "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Wonder whether a benefactor might stump up some cash to get Sexton back?

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                          I'm struggling to think of any decent team with a poor 10. It's the key position. The pivot.
                          Clermont? Toulouse?
                          The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

700 in compo to Racing could be either party wetting a line to see can they get a better deal too
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                              Clermont? Toulouse?
                              Brock James is a decent 10. Delany isn't bad. Barraque/Beauxis/McAlister isn't exactly scraping the barrel either.
                              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                              X