X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Outlaw
    replied
    Originally posted by jeepers View Post
    Fla said recently that he was offered a contract by Leinster and turned it down. Said he would never play for Leinster. Not sure it has worked out for Cronin. He missed out on being first choice with Munster a lot sooner when Fla started having his injury problems. Cronin would have been undisputed first choice for Munster over the last few years (ahead of Varley in the pecking order).
    It was an exceptional move for Sean. He wasn't mapped at munster.

35 caps. HEC wins and a 6 Nations. People have had worse careers. And he's still only 27

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    I've no doubt Cronin would have loved to play for Munster, but the timing screwed him over both times.
    And timing is massive in any career. It's nit good enough to be good enough. You have to get the breaks to show how good you really are. Moving players around might help that.

Leave a comment:

• barleys chinos
    replied
    Cronin is an impact sub rarely puts in a good 80 mins then again rarely gets the chance.
    Cronin is a fine player with a pack dominating but when it comes to the grind id have varley anytime.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Fla said recently that he was offered a contract by Leinster and turned it down. Said he would never play for Leinster. Not sure it has worked out for Cronin. He missed out on being first choice with Munster a lot sooner when Fla started having his injury problems. Cronin would have been undisputed first choice for Munster over the last few years (ahead of Varley in the pecking order).
    Yeah but Cronin left when Denis Fogarty was looking like he was on his way to becoming an international. When he signed for Leinster, Flannery looked like he had five more years in him and Varley had the reserve spot signed up. I've no doubt Cronin would have loved to play for Munster, but the timing screwed him over both times.
    Last edited by whimpersnap; 17th-April-2014, 23:31.

Leave a comment:

• jeepers
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Fla and Sean Cronin are two examples of it succeeding though

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    A Cold War.
    Except it would take somebody with a bit more substance than Reagan to break down that wall

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    I don't think the Leinster/Munster divide will be coming down any time soon. I think if you asked Mike Ross or Eoin Reddan, they'd have rather gone back to Limerick when they returned to Ireland rather than Leinster. There doesn't seem to be the same divide between Ulster and the two provinces though.
    A Cold War.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    There are drawbacks to that as well. Whatever about moving to another province, you don't want players to be moving to other countries for a) the money or b) to play international rugby like the young kiwis. The Irish provinces rely very heavily on provincial loyalties to keep them here in Ireland.

Take Ian Keatley for example, who is unlikely to get too many Ireland caps, whats to keep him playing in Ireland when a team like London Irish would pay him big bucks to go play for them? What if Donnacha Ryan had moved to Leinster when Cheika offered him a deal? I know I'd be very unhappy about it now.
    I don't think the Leinster/Munster divide will be coming down any time soon. I think if you asked Mike Ross or Eoin Reddan, they'd have rather gone back to Limerick when they returned to Ireland rather than Leinster. There doesn't seem to be the same divide between Ulster and the two provinces though.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    There are drawbacks to that as well. Whatever about moving to another province, you don't want players to be moving to other countries for a) the money or b) to play international rugby like the young kiwis. The Irish provinces rely very heavily on provincial loyalties to keep them here in Ireland.

Take Ian Keatley for example, who is unlikely to get too many Ireland caps, whats to keep him playing in Ireland when a team like London Irish would pay him big bucks to go play for them? What if Donnacha Ryan had moved to Leinster when Cheika offered him a deal? I know I'd be very unhappy about it now.
    Fla and Sean Cronin are two examples of it succeeding though

Leave a comment:

• jeepers
    replied
    Originally posted by dropkick View Post
    Good to see Nucifora signing. He spoke about getting the provinces to run more efficiently. If he can manage that then it'll be money well spent.

At the moment there seems to be big barriers for players joining other provinces. They'd rather sit on the sidelines for years than join another province. You have young Kiwis joining Connacht from the far side of the world but yet players in other provinces don't want to go a few hours away from home. Nucifora will look to change that attitude in Irish rugby, and rightly so. I'd say he'll put pressure on more young players to leave to get game time.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    I don't know if there's a barrier on players changing provinces but certainly I think it takes a certain type of player to voluntarily move himself out of the fringes at a winning team to join a side who are really up against it, and some players are just better off developing on the fringes.

As for Nucifora, he certainly doesn't have a great reputation in Australia, having come into conflict with people in a similar role at the ARU, and his management of the Brumbies ended as he was basically voted out by the players (before moving to the Blues, where he met Schmidt). I'm hoping Joe has made a clever decision and hasn't brought in somebody who will increase division. There are some good links here: http://harpin2.blogspot.ie/2013/11/w...-nucifora.html

Leave a comment:

• dropkick
    replied
    Good to see Nucifora signing. He spoke about getting the provinces to run more efficiently. If he can manage that then it'll be money well spent.

At the moment there seems to be big barriers for players joining other provinces. They'd rather sit on the sidelines for years than join another province. You have young Kiwis joining Connacht from the far side of the world but yet players in other provinces don't want to go a few hours away from home. Nucifora will look to change that attitude in Irish rugby, and rightly so. I'd say he'll put pressure on more young players to leave to get game time.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
    Welcome and all that but how is it that he gets a 5 year contract and the provincial coaches only get 2 years + option of 1year extension?
    I guess to provide him security so he'll take a long-term approach?

Leave a comment:

• FORWARD....
    replied
    Welcome and all that but how is it that he gets a 5 year contract and the provincial coaches only get 2 years + option of 1year extension?

Leave a comment:

• Reus
    replied
    No stockpiling? So which of Leinsters props are going where?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X