X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratbastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    Why would Murphy have unrealistic chances? He's every bit as good a player as Kearney. I'd suggest he's enthused by the fact that being a test level winger is no longer a pre-requisite for test selection in that slot.
    You're suggestion is undoubtedly glib, although Murphy should give it a crack. I'm sure Murphy knows exactly what Schmidt is looking for and that if he produces, he has a shot and is excited (paraphrasing his words here) by what he has learned in camp, and by the direction Schmidt is taking the squad.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Quinnie praises Daverage in the times today, opines that he got himself enough in the way to cause the forced forward pass. Ironically mentions how much ground Daverage managed to cover in the 79th minute of a tough test and put doubt in the frenchmans mind.
    That was his job, surely? The fact that we were once more not at home to the last man (not DKs fault, I add) suggests we still have work to do on our outside defence. The understanding across the back three was a bit hairy at times.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Swanson
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Quinnie praises Daverage in the times today, opines that he got himself enough in the way to cause the forced forward pass. Ironically mentions how much ground Daverage managed to cover in the 79th minute of a tough test and put doubt in the frenchmans mind.
    Quinnie targeting a comeback?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratbastard View Post
    So you seriously think Johne Murphy was trying to boost his highly unrealistic chances of being selected for Ireland for any series or championship then and not simply providing an honest opinion that didn't need to go into such detail or be as enthusiastic? Again, posts like this are more a reflection on the poster than Murphy or Schmidt. Go listen to the podcast Full Contact Rugby Show from March 16; you'll be more fully informed. Maybe, just maybe you are just wrong and Earls and Murphy believe what they say that "having Joe on a day-to-day basis must have been phenomenal for the guys" in which case what the f*ck have McGahan and Penney (Kidney too) being doing these past few years if Munster players feel they have learned so much from Schmidt by just being in camp a week.
    Why would Murphy have unrealistic chances? He's every bit as good a player as Kearney. I'd suggest he's enthused by the fact that being a test level winger is no longer a pre-requisite for test selection in that slot.

Leave a comment:

• fishooks12
    replied
    haha, did i get a nickname?

Leave a comment:

• Ratbastard
    replied
    Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
    No. Not really. But the opposite argument, i.e. that Joe has won the 6N therefore all his selections cannot be biased, has already been used.
    I don't think i've seen that argument made by anyone. Some may have argued the relevance of discussing bias if Schmidt has won, since whatever he is doing is clearly working, but I don't think he's biased.. period. IMO, he picks those players he believes can best do the job for him irrespective of province, or even whether they are starting for their province or not (e.g., Henderson, Moore for the bench). Some couch that in terms of "Well, Schmidt unfairly favours Leinster back-up players over starting Munster players" but there is no doubting that those players have real value since they have contributed to the winning of a 6N's championship and other trophies. Now, it's up to the players to change Schmidt's perception that those selected players are "better", or better suited for his Ireland squad. Munster players can demonstrate that by putting in the performances although smacking Leinster and winning a trophy wouldn't hurt.

Leave a comment:

• jeepers
    replied
    Its very clear what the players have to do to get on to Joe's team:

Felix Jones: “There’s been great consistency in the team over the campaign and they were rewarded for their performances, so you’ve got to be 20-30% better than the guys that are there to get in,” said Jones ahead of Munster’s RaboDirect Pro12 clash with Benetton Treviso at Thomond Park on Saturday night.
    “The last contact I had with him was the week of the game [last week]. He just said to keep fit and he’d be keeping an eye out and he’d be watching us.”
    Felix has just to stay fit which could be a challenge for him. Smart one Joe. :smile2:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/r...ad-262630.html

Leave a comment:

• HenryFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratbastard View Post
    Really -- Thats what you read? There is no provincial bias in his selection whether Ireland wins or loses. You can question his relevance as the National coach if Ireland were to win just one 6Ns match next season or fail to qualify for the knockout stages of the RWC,but I think you'll be disappointed.
    No. Not really. But the opposite argument, i.e. that Joe has won the 6N therefore all his selections cannot be biased, has already been used.

Leave a comment:

• Ratbastard
    replied
    Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
    The implicit rationale of much of this discussion is that there's no provincial bias in Joe's selection policy until he starts losing. At that point, it may be retroactively discovered.
    Really -- Thats what you read? There is no provincial bias in his selection whether Ireland wins or loses. You can question his relevance as the National coach if Ireland were to win just one 6Ns match next season or fail to qualify for the knockout stages of the RWC,but I think you'll be disappointed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X