What now? Ireland 2015.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
    I agree about squad building. The conservatism hopefully will go, he needs to start looking ahead to the world cup. I'd hate to see the same conservatism we saw with previous coaches (though Boss playing for the Wolfhounds was right up there with the worst of it).

We've a few things to figure out with the backs, but I'm worried he'll stick with his tried and trusted, with the same players he stuck with for the 6 Nations. You can't build a squad like that when going in to the world cup. Everyone needs time. Lots of time, to build a settled team with genuine challengers for the jersey, not liabilities.

Schmidt went with maybe not the best players available but with players he knows, that he knows can play his system and that worked to a point, but we did struggle with England and France when our subs came on.
    The standard of the 6 Nations won't be the same as the World Cup. Everyone will step up and I'm afraid that the likes of the Dave Kearney can't make that step up.
    I'm not attacking the player, he tried his best and worked hard, but his level won't be good enough at the world cup.
    Average won't do.

The unsettled combination at 13 was totally unnecessary, we could have, should have, started this months ago.
    I don't think much can be seen from the Summer tour, it's always a lot of experimenting and the intensity is a lot lower. The same can be said for when the internationals come about with the games in November, the real test is how they cope in a competition when there's something at stake, and the pressure is higher.
    We'll be racing against the clock and it's infuriating because there was no need for it. Whichever poor soul goes in to replace BOD will need nothing but time, time and more time. Not just figuring it out just before the start of the world cup. That's pressure we don't need.

Hopefully we'll see some genuine competition and he looks outside his Leinster team.
    How can you expect to build a settled team by giving everyone lots of time?

Some of the starters in this championship will at best be on the bench come the world cup. Players like Chris Henry and Trimble who have been superb and built up great experience will have a huge fight on their hands to get into the starting team or bench at the world cup. If you take it that 29 players were used in this championship and there's Earls, Fitzgerald, Bowe, SOB, Ryan all to come back in, that's 34 players which is your world cup squad. You've also got Strauss and Payne, Zebo among others who may come in.

Some may dip in and out of form and there are loads of players on the fringes who may squeeze in but I think some people would rather see us send out a Wolfhounds selection for every international just to try new players.

The reason we won the championship was because we had a settled team playing and executing a gameplan. There's a small amount of room for experimentation but the bones of the world cup squad is probably already there. 13 is a question mark but we would not have won the championship without BOD and you can't quantify how much of a lift winning something gives. At least BOD has been working with successors to impart some knowledge.

The big players who are injured will get game time, there's no doubt about it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
      Probably true but its still a ringing endorsement in JS's favour.
      Still he's made some very questionable decisions over the 6 Nations, maybe he was going with who he know, but it seems like a good way to isolate players he doesn't know.
      His decision to persist with players who were consistently playing poorly over better players raises a few eyebrows.

It does seem like he's very well liked by a lot of players, but you can't know how certain players like TOD, Zebo, Jackson feel about him but I guess time will tell.
      The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Still he's made some very questionable decisions over the 6 Nations, maybe he was going with who he know, but it seems like a good way to isolate players he doesn't know.
        His decision to persist with players who were consistently playing poorly over better players raises a few eyebrows.
        Have you considered the possibility that they weren't playing poorly?

Comment

It does seem like he's very well liked by a lot of players, but you can't know how certain players like TOD, Zebo, Jackson feel about him but I guess time will tell.
          He has made some decision that you don't like but hardly seem that "questionable" given that Schmidt won the 6Ns Championship. Im not so sure how you define "better" players or even who or how you identify those playing "consistently poorly" but there seems to be a lack of awareness in many of your posts. Put simply, could you have got it all wrong and continue to do so in terms of Schmidt, his approach and his selections?

Comment

You are stretching it a fair bit S9. Its clear you are not happy with his selection policy but this image:

settles the situation entirely and vindicates his selections, whether you agree with them or not we are still the ones lifting the trophy last weekend. For all you know this perceived overlooking of Munster talent may actually work in the likes of Zebo or TOD's favour in the long run.

He made contentious calls, they paid off and we won. Thats the long and short of it.
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy C View Post
              How can you expect to build a settled team by giving everyone lots of time?

Some of the starters in this championship will at best be on the bench come the world cup. Players like Chris Henry and Trimble who have been superb and built up great experience will have a huge fight on their hands to get into the starting team or bench at the world cup. If you take it that 29 players were used in this championship and there's Earls, Fitzgerald, Bowe, SOB, Ryan all to come back in, that's 34 players which is your world cup squad. You've also got Strauss and Payne, Zebo among others who may come in.

Some may dip in and out of form and there are loads of players on the fringes who may squeeze in but I think some people would rather see us send out a Wolfhounds selection for every international just to try new players.

The reason we won the championship was because we had a settled team playing and executing a gameplan. There's a small amount of room for experimentation but the bones of the world cup squad is probably already there. 13 is a question mark but we would not have won the championship without BOD and you can't quantify how much of a lift winning something gives. At least BOD has been working with successors to impart some knowledge.

The big players who are injured will get game time, there's no doubt about it.
              I'm not talking about giving everyone lots of time. I'm talking about giving the poor sole that replaces BOD lots of time. Because I can see us still not knowing who will play 13 in the warm up WC games, and that would be a disaster. My point was that they should have started trying players out before now.
              We now have 10 games to try and replace one of Ireland's greatest ever players. Sure what would we need time for. That's no problem.

I think I've said it a few times now, I don't want to see wholesale changes, I want to see realistic changes where players who (should) have a genuine chance of getting picked for the team to start (never mind the bench) given a go.
              We're in an unique position where we can have a really strong bench. That's rarely happened before. We are usually struggling to cover certain positions and when subs have to be made the quality drops. This doesn't have to be the case now because we've some excellent options.

We all know who will take up the majority of the positions if everyone is fit, but it's the question mark areas that need looking at. We will waste an opportunity to see players we didn't get to see in the 6 Nations if we don't play them in the summer tour. The likes of TOD, Earls, Bowe, Ryan, Zebo etc.

I've already said it will be pointless to experiment every other player because it benefits nobody, so keep the strong core of a team and give the players who missed out in the 6 Nations a chance to impress.
              We need to find a balance, what we don't need is to go the summer tour and have practically the same team we had at 6 Nations put out with just the one change at 13 and maybe one swop on the wing. That would be pointless.

There are a lot of players there who are looking to impress and prove Schmidt wrong, players who in some cases will be an improvement to what we've just seen.

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

Comment

What's wrong with us not knowing who'll be 13 going into the World Cup? We don't have a replacement Brian O'Driscoll but all the clear evidence we have so far suggests we have a lot of guys who will be capable 13s at international level, a couple of whom already have substantial international experience and a couple others who you'd expect to pick up more over the coming months. You don't need ten internationals at 13 to start looking half decent, you just need to be a good enough rugby player and it seems we have a couple of those lying around.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  You are stretching it a fair bit S9. Its clear you are not happy with his selection policy but this image:

settles the situation entirely and vindicates his selections, whether you agree with them or not we are still the ones lifting the trophy last weekend. For all you know this perceived overlooking of Munster talent may actually work in the likes of Zebo or TOD's favour in the long run.

He made contentious calls, they paid off and we won. Thats the long and short of it.
                  It wasn't questionable to play average Dave? Despite mistake after mistake?
                  It wasn't questionable to play Sexton instead of playing Jackson, when Sexton's fitness was in question, than drop Jackson for the next match and bring in Madigan?

I'm delighted we won, but it doesn't erase the facts that there were some very questionable decisions made. And sorry, but they paid off? I think we won games in spite of the fact that D Kearney cost us a try or so, in spite of the fact that the English game was hindered by our substations and we had no attacking creativity in our backs for the English game, or the fact that we very nearly lost the French game because they killed us in the scrum after the changes. You think these decisions paid off?

I am delighted we won, delighted that players like POC and Best got another trophy and that BOD got to go out on a win, but we also need to be realistic.
                  I don't think they paid off, I think in some cases he was very fortunate. Not taking anything away from the win, absolutely deserved and well done but just because we won doesn't mean that mistakes weren't made and that some of the decisions weren't questionable and I certainly don't think they paid off.
                  Last edited by Stringer9; 20th-March-2014, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                    Have you considered the possibility that they weren't playing poorly?
                    Ian Madigan wasn't playing poorly?
                    Dave Kearney didn't cost us on the scoreboard?
                    To name but a few?

Comment

To name but a few?
                      Madigan was playing OK. No, Kearney didn't cost us on the scoreboard. We had the best defensive record in the entire championship. There seems to be a perception around here that every point conceded is of catastrophic importance and that somebody's head has to roll for it. In reality, players do a lot of good things as well as make the odd mistake, and occasionally we just have to give the opposition credit for doing something well.

Comment

It wasn't questionable to play average Dave? Despite mistake after mistake?
                        It wasn't questionable to play Kearney instead of playing Jackson, than drop Jackson for the next match and bring in Madigan?

... I think we won games in spite of the fact that D Kearney cost us a try or so, in spite of the fact that the English game was hindered by our substations and we had no attacking creativity in our backs for the English game, or the fact that we very nearly lost the French game because they killed us in the scrum after the changes. You think these decisions paid off?
                        Average Dave had a good 6Ns. Mistake after mistake? You are allowing your massive chip and bias to affect how you view games too much. How exactly did he cost us a try? He wasn't error free but he consistently beat the first up defender, made ground, didn't lose the ball in contact, was disciplined and was singled out for his contribution at the breakdown. Is he the most talented winger in Ireland? Hell, not even close, but he played well.

Although you do, few others would question the decision to play Kearney over Jackson (?), and Madigan provides more utility as a bench player than Jackson who only plays 10. Jackson would start over Madigan if Sexton was unavailable, but Schmidt decided that he needed more cover in the event attrition took it's toll, with D'Arcy also carrying a knock going into the game, and BOD having continued tightness in his calves. Madigan played well (very well according to ROG in his post match comments).

So, is it possible that you are simply wrong, rather than Schmidt?

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                          Madigan was playing OK. No, Kearney didn't cost us on the scoreboard. We had the best defensive record in the entire championship. There seems to be a perception around here that every point conceded is of catastrophic importance and that somebody's head has to roll for it. In reality, players do a lot of good things as well as make the odd mistake, and occasionally we just have to give the opposition credit for doing something well.
                          Must have dreamt the entire thing so.
                          And it's not every point conceded, players do make mistakes, nobody's perfect but when players are making the same mistake again and again..

Comment

To name but a few?
                            Where/when did Madigan play poorly against France? Again, even ROG praised his performance coming off the bench.

How did Kearney cost us on the scoreboard?

Comment

Must have dreamt the entire thing so.
                              And it's not every point conceded, players do make mistakes, nobody's perfect but when players are making the same mistake again and again..

What is the mistake you speak of "again and again"?

I think you are truly dreaming but maybe because you are clearly in pain and also in denial. Perhaps you are suffering from the accolades being showered on Schmidt, his popularity among players or that some of your favourites are not being selected by a coach who has the silverware to show his selections and coaching work. You may not like it and you may simply have to admit the possibility that you are wrong.

Comment

I cant think of the moment when you can single out D. Kearney for our losing the grand slam, he might not be the greatest winger in Ireland as mentioned above but neither is he the single reason we lost a grand slam (but still won the championship FFS). Nothing in life, or sport, is without mistake, Schmidt got the job done and fair phucks to him for getting us over the line. Demanding that every game Ireland play be without fault or mistake is unfair to both the management and players involved.
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X