No announcement yet.

What now? Ireland 2015.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great players don't need time to settle in, I'm hopeful of JJ, Olding and Henshaw proving that.
    Marshall is thereabouts and Hendo and McGrath have already showed it's so.
    There's a third of a team or so or a good chunk of a pine world cup-winning bench.
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
      Great players don't need time to settle in, I'm hopeful of JJ, Olding and Henshaw proving that.
      Marshall is thereabouts and Hendo and McGrath have already showed it's so.
      There's a third of a team or so or a good chunk of a pine world cup-winning bench.
      But will they be given a chance? Schmidt seems to value players ability to cover several positions than maybe a better player who can cover less positions.
      eg Madigan/Jackson.
      We are in the position to have a really strong bench but Schmidt seems to see the bench as more to cover injuries and less to change the game, if you go by what we've seen in the 6 Nations.
      The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Schmidt won't rest on his laurels and the 6 or 7 lads from Ulster and Munster will be able to give their respective provinces the skinny on what'll get you picked. I think he's too smart to rely on 17 or 18 fellas to see him through both the 2015 6n and Rwc.

He'll build a squad I still believe.
        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by he man rugger pints View Post
          If Ferris comes back firing then Heaslip may have a bit of competition if Joe considers shuffling his backrow around any. I rate Copeland too but don't think he's at Heaslip's level for now.
          Sean O'Brien is not, and never will be, an 8. I don't know why people think he can do it other than the odd game for Leinster. Copeland is miles off but would probably be decent injury cover if Axel can teach him to lift his head every now and then and oass the ball.

Originally posted by CorcĂ­och View Post
          Because after that, after summer 2015 we'll be back to square one again . . .looking for a coach etc
          Schmidt is contracted through to June 2016. With his son looking a decent bet for the Leinster academy, I wouldn't bet against him sticking around until 2019, provided he is doing a good job.

Originally posted by sewa View Post
          Sextons abysmal kicking also comes to mind, this is the best outhalf in the world according to some :)
          Absolutely nobody has ever suggested Sexton is the best 10 in the world. Well done on debunking a myth you created in your head though.

Comment

Nobody has ever suggested he is the best ten in the world? The Sexton off to Racing thread was absolutely chock full of superblue posters saying it
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Superblue posters on a Munster website, of course, never exaggerate the talents of Leinster players.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                We are in the position to have a really strong bench but Schmidt seems to see the bench as more to cover injuries and less to change the game, if you go by what we've seen in the 6 Nations.
                I agree wholeheartedly. For example against France, we would have had the upper hand if we went with an 8 nil split on the bench allowing for some real game changing impact. If we had a full new pack at the end, we might not have struggled as much in the last few scrums. Admittedly, we would have probably had Jamie Heaslip playing at ten for the last 12 minutes but why cover injuries....

In fairness, Paddy Jackson was only on the bench to cover injuries. Sexton is never coming off unless he through injury during any game of importance during the six nations.
                Last edited by Rabb1tts Jump; 20th-March-2014, 09:22.

Comment

An 8 - 0 split is a wonderful idea, cant work out why no one ever tried it :bubbles_time_by_bad
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

POM covers 10

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
                      POM covers 10
                      And wing. Surely we all remember he can play on the wing. ;)
                      Last edited by Stringer9; 20th-March-2014, 11:20.
                      The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
                        Twice on the journey into work today I read of Ireland's "open door policy" on selection. Good to see the PR machine in full force.

Wonder if they'll rebrand Leinster v Munster as the Certainites v the Nevers rather than the Possibles v Probables?
                        Clever line but Schmidt couldn't care less if you're from Bosnia as long as you do the basics to the meticulous standards he requires. Players like his methods and are excited to be past of the set-up. Here is Johne Murphy after just a week in the opposition truing squad leading up to the French match.

"I came away feeling fantastic. I though I had improved just from being there this week. Myself and Keith Earls were driving away and we said to each other 'As much as we hate to say it, we know why Leinster have been so good for the last three years with Joe in. Having him on a day-to-day basis must have been just phenomenal for the guys'

Comment

Originally posted by Ratbastard View Post
                          Clever line but Schmidt couldn't care less if you're from Bosnia as long as you do the basics to the meticulous standards he requires. Players like his methods and are excited to be past of the set-up. Here is Johne Murphy after just a week in the opposition truing squad leading up to the French match.

"I came away feeling fantastic. I though I had improved just from being there this week. Myself and Keith Earls were driving away and we said to each other 'As much as we hate to say it, we know why Leinster have been so good for the last three years with Joe in. Having him on a day-to-day basis must have been just phenomenal for the guys'
                          I know the "meticulous about the basics" line is the party one to rationalise a couple of otherwise difficult to explain selections, but I think it's a bit facile.

Does Tommy O'Donnell not do the basics well? And, if this is the system, how to explain the retention of players making obvious errors?

I don't think he has any prejudice against Munster players, but I think it's a lot easier to argue that he went with what he knew in a limited time window than to assume he has some sort of esoteric performance matrix that suggests that obviously talented players really aren't.
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                            I know the "meticulous about the basics" line is the party one to rationalise a couple of otherwise difficult to explain selections, but I think it's a bit facile.

Does Tommy O'Donnell not do the basics well? And, if this is the system, how to explain the retention of players making obvious errors?

I don't think he has any prejudice against Munster players, but I think it's a lot easier to argue that he went with what he knew in a limited time window than to assume he has some sort of esoteric performance matrix that suggests that obviously talented players really aren't.
                            Probably true but its still a ringing endorsement in JS's favour.
                            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

When POC, a three time Lion and former Lions captain and most experienced Irish player stated that he found the adjustment to Schmidt's technical requirements and structures a little overwhelming at times (following the Australian match), I have little doubt that TOD, and every other player that didn't make the squad, have highly specific work to do and know what is expected of them. Selection is not a statement on who has or hasn't talent, as talent clearly isn't the only factor in selection. Accuracy/precision in execution, physical intensity, with every player fulfilling their role as required as part of a cohesive unit are needed to make it work, and given his trophies, we know it works. Schmidt himself has said that mistakes are inevitable, but he has a low tolerance for those who don't work hard at improving and rectifying deficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                                And wing. Surely we all remember he can play on the wing. ;)
                                Everyone knows blindsides get faster on the wings
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X