What now? Ireland 2015.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
    I prefer the English age profile. have to remember they were missing a number of players as well for the 6N
    England are in a very difficult group for the next world cup. They will probably have to play Wales in the Millenium as well. If they get out of their group, they will be doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by tickettout
      Would you still pick Launchbury over POC?
      Outlaw would probably pick Toner ahead of POC.

Comment

I've more chance of being Ireland's 12 then Sexton. Its just not even a possibility that he'll be selected there.
        Its not a possibility that he can might a position he has already filled at both club and country?
        "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
          He doesn't need to play there. Marshall is fine for the job. Dorce and Bod took some replacing five years ago, they don't anymore. Please can we stop pretending, bod is not an international level 13 for all he was great against a rubbish Italy.
          Huh? Bod had a fine tournament. In which games was he outplayed by his opposite number?

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
            Its not a possibility that he can might a position he has already filled at both club and country?
            Schmidt will put Madigan at 12 before he puts sexton there

Comment

From an Ukster perspective although many on here seem happy with Marshall at 12 we also have Stuart Olding who before wrecking his knee at start of season was simply OUTSTANDING. on his Ulster performances alone I'd have him starting the Ulster XV ahead of Luke. Not a big buy or bosh merchant low centre of gravity quick on his feet and great broken play runner.

Comment

Originally posted by ackbar View Post
                Huh? Bod had a fine tournament. In which games was he outplayed by his opposite number?
                Even Leo on happy pills would acknowledge that Bod is not the player now he was five years ago. Consequently his retirement will not be felt as keenly. Bod was very good against Italy but he missed a fair few tackles during the tournament. I am not having a dig at the man, just saying that he is not as good as he was 5 years ago which is really fairly obvious.

Comment

Twice on the journey into work today I read of Ireland's "open door policy" on selection. Good to see the PR machine in full force.

Wonder if they'll rebrand Leinster v Munster as the Certainites v the Nevers rather than the Possibles v Probables?

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                    Even Leo on happy pills would acknowledge that Bod is not the player now he was five years ago. Consequently his retirement will not be felt as keenly. Bod was very good against Italy but he missed a fair few tackles during the tournament. I am not having a dig at the man, just saying that he is not as good as he was 5 years ago which is really fairly obvious.
                    Of course he's not the player he was 5 years ago but thats not what you said. You said he wasn't international class when he clearly is international class, and still one of the best 13s around. He will take a lot of replacing. Why do you think Schmidt was so keen to have him back?

Comment

Of course he's not the player he was 5 years ago but thats not what you said. You said he wasn't international class when he clearly is international class, and still one of the best 13s around. He will take a lot of replacing. Why do you think Schmidt was so keen to have him back?
                      He will take a lot less replacing now than he would have done five years ago. Ireland's whole game plan revolved around him five years ago, that is no longer the case. Certainly Ireland will miss BOD but he really did not have quite the brilliant tournament everyone is now saying, he missed a lot of tackles and has completely lost his pace. BOD is the best Irish player I have seen but replacing him playing as he is now is not the same as replacing him when he was in his pomp.

Comment

I think a midfield of Marshall and Earls is potentially very exciting, though I still think Earls is a better winger than 13.

The best back line will be configured from some blend of R.Kearney, Marshall, Bowe, Earls, Zebo, Fitz, Payne, Trimble with Olding, JJ, Henshaw to come into the mix.

Of those, you'd have to say that 13 is still the most uncertain. We don't have an outside centre already at the level we're looking for to simply step in.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Zebo won't be coming into any frame IMO under JS. He isn't going to jettison players who won him a 6 N on a whim.

France have the players. Picamoles was very disappointing yesterday for them and I wouldn't consider him a huge loss. His knock on led to our first try.

France have plenty of props and that backline yesterday will give anyone problems.

People also underestimate the sheer prescence of BOD. Other teams will now seek out the 13 channel more often then they used to.

WC is a different animal IMO to 6N.
                          Zebo isn't a whim, he's a damn good winger. They'd be zero risk in using him in the squad for a 6Ns or W/cup. I thin k you're 100% incorrect to say that he won't be in frame under Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
                            Ross was outstanding yesterday. He destroyed Domingo. Moore was in trouble against Debaty.
                            Yep, Martin's shining superiority over Archer and Fitz proved debatable but it'll stand to him.
                            Hopefully Rosco will be left in the bath for the summer. Is Rodney Ah You tight or loose?
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I'd say Schmidt wanted BOD around for a couple of reasons including it would ease him into the job having a senior player around that he knows well and who is well respected by the squad, especially since Sexton was out of the control of the IRFU.

By the way, BOD said a few days ago that the reason why he wanted to play on was to have a final crack at the ABs.

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
                                Looking forward. Schmidt has proven he can get an international team to play to the level he wants.

We have found real depth in the pack - there is a chance that we may be able to add two of the best backrows in the world to a championship winning pack.

The backs need a bit over haul but Id be confident we have the players for that. We have rakes of wingers so should have a very dangerous back 3.

The centre - 10 axis is the one which is most uncertain. I would bet by the World Cup that either Jackson or JJ (or both) will have stepped up as our standout 10s, and Sexton's skills will be better used at 12 with Marshall the other obvious option there. Anyone's guess who will step up at 13. I don't we will have a settled combination in this axis until just up until or during the World Cup.

Hopefully the Summer Tour will see Joe get over his fascination with second choice Leinster players and we might see some real squad building.
                                I agree about squad building. The conservatism hopefully will go, he needs to start looking ahead to the world cup. I'd hate to see the same conservatism we saw with previous coaches (though Boss playing for the Wolfhounds was right up there with the worst of it).

We've a few things to figure out with the backs, but I'm worried he'll stick with his tried and trusted, with the same players he stuck with for the 6 Nations. You can't build a squad like that when going in to the world cup. Everyone needs time. Lots of time, to build a settled team with genuine challengers for the jersey, not liabilities.

Schmidt went with maybe not the best players available but with players he knows, that he knows can play his system and that worked to a point, but we did struggle with England and France when our subs came on.
                                The standard of the 6 Nations won't be the same as the World Cup. Everyone will step up and I'm afraid that the likes of the Dave Kearney can't make that step up.
                                I'm not attacking the player, he tried his best and worked hard, but his level won't be good enough at the world cup.
                                Average won't do.

The unsettled combination at 13 was totally unnecessary, we could have, should have, started this months ago.
                                I don't think much can be seen from the Summer tour, it's always a lot of experimenting and the intensity is a lot lower. The same can be said for when the internationals come about with the games in November, the real test is how they cope in a competition when there's something at stake, and the pressure is higher.
                                We'll be racing against the clock and it's infuriating because there was no need for it. Whichever poor soul goes in to replace BOD will need nothing but time, time and more time. Not just figuring it out just before the start of the world cup. That's pressure we don't need.

Hopefully we'll see some genuine competition and he looks outside his Leinster team.
                                The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Working...
                                X