No announcement yet.

What now? Ireland 2015.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balla Boy, so full of definitive statements like "What I can't let stand unchallenged is the notion that there's some quality bar in place that Zebo, O'Donnell, Jackson fell short of but that Kearney sailed over despite errors that anyone with eyes could see. and "His (Kearney) doubling up on the runner vs England was an U-16 error" and "he was hugely at fault for the Care try, he was at fault for the French try from the aerial tap back and he did nothing" So lets's look at these throwaway comments and the quality of sight...

Here is a snapshot of Kearney just as Browne is bearing down and appears to be in danger of breaking free (or if he hasn't actually broken free of his R. Kearney's tackle. Only then does he move toward Browne. Was it an error? He got it wrong as Rob had just made the tackle, but certainly not so clear cut that it measures anywhere close to your hyperbolic "u16 error". I don't think it's even close.

Then let's look at the French try "when he did nothing"

Above, the ball is just about to be moved to Talles. There is Kearney right inside the right upright, with BOD and then D'Arcy inside him. France clearly have the numbers on Ireland with Huget out of picture on the right wing marked by Rob Kearney. D'Arcy has moved toward the threat posed by Basteraud's run with Pape behind him, and Talles yet again, and so BOD and D. Kearney have at least 3 players they have to account for if the ball goes behind the foremost French player to Talles and he spreads it. Bottom line, the French have the numbers.

Roll forward and the kick has just been made. We can see more clearly that BOD, Kearney had to number up on the two inside French players (of the 3) leaving Dulin to the outside. So, the French clearly had the numbers and now, with the ball in the air, Kearney has to scramble to his left and has a lot of ground to cover given that he had to first take care of his primary defensive responsibilities (if the French had moved it through the hands effectively, they would likely have scored). Dulin clearly has the edge in getting to any ball. Kearney gets there to make the tackle just short of the line but Dulin's momentum carries him over.

So, while you are very adamant that the fault for this try lies with D. Kearney, and that he "did nothing", it just doesn't hold up to even the most basic analysis whatsoever. It's actually a bit like some of your other statements like "there were three french players who'd have beaten him to a ball" that always had a chance of coming loose given that there were two men competing in mid air for it". So, given that Kearney hit Dulin as soon as he gathered the ball, please tell what three players are these?

In your words, "all horse****, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised if SOB's return sees him move to 6 and POM to the bench.
      It would be wrong but it would not surprise me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
        SOB is irrelevant. I think you must have copy-pasted the last bit about five times now. You haven't a clue why he changed the bench. Nothing changed between week 2 and week 3 that we know about. Unless you've got some insider knowledge to share.
        Actually, clues are given in his squad announcement press conferences. For example, you can listen here at the 1.15 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CouQ...zDuGXu0XZThzji for why Madigan got selected over Jackson for the bench spot for example.

Comment

Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left.
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

What's in a name?
            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
              It would be wrong but it would not surprise me at all.
              The thought of the Irish team without POM in it, especially by choice and not injury, seems unimaginable these days.
              The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Joe and selection;

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2014/0...ow-a-priority/

In an exclusive interview to be broadcast on RTÉ Saturday Sport later today, Joe Schmidt has said that opening up selection is a key concern as Ireland move on from their RBS 6 Nations title win.
                The Ireland head coach, who oversaw victories over Scotland, Wales, Italy and France and a narrow defeat against England to claim Ireland’s first title since 2009, admitted to feeling satisfied with a success he did not expect at the outset of the tournament.
                Speaking exclusively to RTÉ Sport’s Michael Corcoran, he said: “It wasn’t something that I thought would happen to be honest. I thought it was going to be a work in progress and it definitely still is.”
                Schmidt also reveals he now has a ‘concern’ about selection after a campaign that saw him use fewer players than he expected to as Ireland continued to perform strongly from week to week.
                The summer tour of Argentina will be one opportunity to look at different players, though Schmidt admits it will be difficult to drop players who continue to perform.
                He said: "We want to try to keep the selection open and recalibrate what we are looking and then go again for Argentina.
                "We had quite a small group that started, with just 18 starters through the Six Nations and 29 used in all. We want to make sure that we are giving opportunity as much as possible. But at the same time, if you give someone a jersey and they do what is required of them, it is pretty hard not to stick with them.”
                Ireland have just 14 matches – 10 Tests and four warm-up matches - between now and the next Rugby World Cup, with a trip to Argentina this summer, a November series, the next Six Nations and four pre-RWC 2015 warm-up matches on the schedule.
                The Heineken Cup is also a key proving ground for those looking to claim Ireland caps.
                Schmidt commented: “We are going to some really high quality rugby in the [Heineken Cup] quarter-finals in two weeks’ time and that will be a good opportunity to gauge progress for players that didn’t get the game time that we anticipated we might be able to spread across a wider group during the Six Nations.”
                But defending the Six Nations will be a major priority, and Schmidt does not see the Championship as a time to experiment.
                He added: "For me personally, while there is no way you would ever disregard the World Cup; and it Is the pinnacle, the Six Nations is a massive tournament for us. That is the Championship that we play in annually and that you want to win in Europe.
                "Those five [Six Nations] Test matches next year are going to be something that we will really go out try to be as competitive as we can be. So if you are looking for windows, Argentina and the November series next season are the times we might look to have a look at a few guys because we are not going to get any other opportunity."
                The Ireland head coach also hailed the impact of the bench, crediting substitutes with scoring key tries that led to Ireland’s tournament win on points difference.
                He said: "It was one of the learnings that we got from the All Blacks Test match……we have to be good enough across 23 players to make sure that we are able to add value rather than plug holes with our bench. To be fair to the lads that came on, there was always value added from the group."
                Michael Corcoran's interview with Joe Schmidt will play out on Saturday Sport later today - in it, the Ireland coach talks about the crucial moments in RBS 6 Nations campaign, Ireland's nail-biting finish against France and Steve Walsh's decision to refer the crucial decision back to the TMO after it had been made and much more.
                The full interview will also be available on the RTÉ.ie/sport website after 5pm.

Comment

In fairness he should just keep picking the same 23 as it really is very hard to drop anyone
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

I'm glad to see Joe is taking some heat on selection despite his fantastic victory.

He was under no pressure to change things because the team were not losing or markedly under performing from the All Blacks game out,

It occurs to me that maybe Joe simply had enough on his plate without having to calculate the additional variable a player he had not previously coached might add to the mix.

Better to play safe with players were he understood the metrics clearly even if they were not the best available.

Munster will just have to smash team Ireland at dAviva to force a rethink.
                    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                      I'm glad to see Joe is taking some heat on selection despite his fantastic victory.

He was under no pressure to change things because the team were not losing or markedly under performing from the All Blacks game out,

It occurs to me that maybe Joe simply had enough on his plate without having to calculate the additional variable a player he had not previously coached might add to the mix.

Better to play safe with players were he understood the metrics clearly even if they were not the best available.

Munster will just have to smash team Ireland at dAviva to force a rethink.
                      Not like there was ever any question of motivation anyway but I'm sure some of our players have taken their corrections and are about ready to :_explosion__rvmp_by.
                      There's been talk and talk and more talk and I think they're all about ready to explode on to that pitch in Dublin.
                      Bring to on!!
                      The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

People will probably completely disagree with me here but between now and next years six nations I want to see the most talented youngsters from the provinces given ample playing time with Ireland to attempt to build real depth.

McGrath, Killer, Moore, Furlong, Henderson, TOD, Marmion, Jackson, Hanrahan, Marshall, Olding, Cave, Henshaw, Zebo & Gilroy should all get time in the team. Let's start to really build depth and at to the current Ireland team.

We have some potentially world class youngsters who could turn into stars so it's just about pushing them on and giving them opportunities to succeed.

The most exciting kid I've watched in the last season or so is Stuart Olding. The lad is an absolutely outstanding prospect and blew me away with his performances for Ulster. He can has played 10, 12 & 15 for Ulster but having watched him quite a few times I would absolutely love to see him at 13. He has electric acceleration & pace, fantastic speed, great passer, good kicker & solid defender. All his attributes would really fit nicely as a 13 and I'd love to see him get a run there. Out of all the positions I've watched him play for Ulster (10/12/15) he has looked best in the centre. I'd have Olding ahead of Marshall right now if he was fit.

Maybe Olding doesn't fit as a 13 I duno, I just think he'd be great there. Regardless, he has looked outstanding playing 12 for ulster stepping in as first receiver and just having a huge impact every time he plays.

Comment

Like Windeos I'd like to see youth given their head and as many of the young prospects as possible to be tried in the summer your and A Is and into the 6Ns next year. Specifically I'd like to see all the Lions guys left behind from the summer tour, so that they get some week earned rest and concentrate on (finally) doing a proper pre season, while the younger prospects are given a proper chance to shine in the top side.

Similarly in the AIs I'd like to see wholesale squad rotation, with maybe the top squad selected just for one game. Tbh I expect the selectors to revert to type for the A Is, due to a combo of pressure for results & familiarity with who they know, cos that seems to be their modus operandi thus far. I'D love to see guys like Marmion, Marshall, TOD, etc get a good run to stake their claim, but I won't hold my breath....

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                            Like Windeos I'd like to see youth given their head and as many of the young prospects as possible to be tried in the summer your and A Is and into the 6Ns next year. Specifically I'd like to see all the Lions guys left behind from the summer tour, so that they get some week earned rest and concentrate on (finally) doing a proper pre season, while the younger prospects are given a proper chance to shine in the top side.

Similarly in the AIs I'd like to see wholesale squad rotation, with maybe the top squad selected just for one game. Tbh I expect the selectors to revert to type for the A Is, due to a combo of pressure for results & familiarity with who they know, cos that seems to be their modus operandi thus far. I'D love to see guys like Marmion, Marshall, TOD, etc get a good run to stake their claim, but I won't hold my breath....
                            I'd be extremely disappointed if any touring Lions from 2013 are brought to Argentina, it would be both unnecessary and counterproductive to further integrating some of the more peripheral figures (so far) into Schmidt-Ball. What I don't think we will see however is wholesale group of youngsters brought in to be given a go and see how they do. Rightly or wrongly that just doesn't seem to be Schmidt's MO. I would also say it is almost certain that the likes of Bowe, Earls, Ryan and Ferris will tour given their enforced absences during the AI's/6N.

I would, probably, be in favor of approaching the tour similar how they did they US/Canadia games with effectively two different starting XV's though I am less inclined to believe Schmidt would be in favour of two completely different XV's in different weeks however I remain willing to be surprised.

The AI's will be where the foundations are laid to build towards the 6N and RWC. I have absolutely no doubt Ireland will be targetting another Championship at the very least in 2015. I don't think we will see wholesale changes for any games but will see a degree of experimentation with the strongest XV selected to have a cut at the Bokke initially. The problem this year is that we don't have gradual stepping stone's to move towards the 'big game' but start out with arguably the biggest game so I could well be wrong.

Through accident or design Ireland currently have a fairly decent number of players to pick from in most positions. Outside centre is the gaping hole presently and the one most likely to take up column inches prior to the squad departing for Argentina. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that Henshaw will almost certainly be given his opportunity down in Argentina to see how he goes.

The significance of the next six months or so is to get two from Moore/Archer and maybe even Chocolate Fitzpatrick, up to the level that should Ross be struck down we are not focked in the manner we were when Wallace was wrecked by Tuilagi. Same could be said as a third back-up to McGrath/Healy and that is for Kilcoyne/Cronin to fight it out for. The only other positions I would be slightly concerned about is No.8, Scrumhalf and possibly Fullback should any of Heaslip, Reddan/Murray or Bobert get injured.

I am quite optimistic about the whole thing really.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                              I agree, Jordi must be great in training
                              TOD was MOTM for me against Clermont in semi final of HEC and the French raved about him. He came back from injury and late in a tense 'all on the line match' against Perpignan, away, had the presence of mind, skill, strength and nous to keep in play and lay off a perfect pass to JJ - what more does he need do to show his ability at a high level? Murphy showed well in Pro12. There is no comparison. Joe played in cautiously on his debut season and did not take a 'chance' on a player he is supposed not to know much about, TOD - which is balls as the legendary attention to detail of Schmidt means that he knows every Irish player as well as his own Leinster men while coach in D4. TODs injury came at a bad time but he was fit and well enough to be included at start. TODs response, in Pro12, HEC and summer tour will define his career as no doubt Joe S wants to see what he is made of.

Comment

Hypothetically speaking how do ye think an international captain would react if his coach told him the team on a Tuesday for a Saturday game.
                                Hypothetically of coarse
                                This team included 2 of his fellow club mates just for pig iron say a 2nd row and a back row.
                                But and here's the catch on thursday night at the team announcement these 2 players he was told were in the team and he told were in the were not.
                                That's not a nice to treat a championship winning captain
                                That's a fact.
                                clowns

Comment

Working...
                                X