What now? Ireland 2015.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What now? Ireland 2015.

As great as today was, and I'm delighted we won it but in a way I am glad it's over and we can get back to the clubs. It's just been a long campaign.
    The circus has ended, all due respect to BOD, he's been a massive player for us, but the final lap of honour has gone on so long that it got to the stage where he just got the two MOTM for the sake of it, that it was almost patronising.
    With the world cup coming up, we can now look to the future. We need to move on.

What would you all like to see over the next few international games in the running to the world cup.

Schmidt's choices: The subs.
    • I guess the hardest place to start is that Schmidt rates the Leinster subs over our starters. I just don't know where the players being left out, go from. What do the players need to do to get in his favours? Because I'm not sure there's anything they can do. If they can't challenge sub players when they're playing week in week out. How can they ever get in ahead of those players in Schmidt's mind?

Outhalf:
    • Is it too optimistic to think that JJ will involved by the world cup? I would love if he was because I see him as an eventual successor to Sexton, but I can't see it, he put Madigan in front of Jackson.

• How does Jackson recover from being dropped? He's done nothing wrong, playing well with his province and is dropped for the no.2 out half who's playing poorly with Leinster. I know it's all about being a professional player, but he'll need to be made of real strong stuff to get over that. Where does he go from there? What message does it send?

Backs:
    • Dave Kearney..without attacking a player, God bless him he tries, but he is average, but Schmidt persisted with him and I think he played every minute of every game, (I stand to be corrected). He's an average player and genuinely cost us at times. Surely Schmidt saw that? Yet did nothing about it.

• Zebo..don't know what he's done, or what more he has do to. I guess we'll see if he'll get a chance. But if couldn't get in ahead of Dave Kearney, with all those injuries, is it likely to get in at all?

Centre:

• The obvious one, who will replace BOD? The million dollar question. We should know by now, but obviously we don't.

I guess after a long day of drink and enjoyment I'm mulling over what's next.

What would you all, realistically, like to see?
    Last edited by Stringer9; 15th-March-2014, 23:36.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Sexton improves his place kicking - it would make him perhaps Ireland's most complete ten since Kyle. If he can we'll have a truly sublime player and evidence that ROG can coach.

Rob Kearney learns to tackle.

Devon Toner puts on a stone and a half; he can become a monster like Maestri but needs more heft.

Marshall at 12, Henshaw at 13 a fit Earls at 11.

Comment

Can he improve his kicking? He's no spring chicken..
      It does seem psychological, so maybe that's the route he needs to take. His conversion from under the posts was unbelievably bad -almost came off his ankle and it barely scudded over the crossbar just inside the upright. Maybe JJ at 12 is the solution for RWC2015

Comment

Originally posted by 3Crowns3Stars View Post
        Can he improve his kicking? He's no spring chicken..
        It does seem psychological, so maybe that's the route he needs to take. His conversion from under the posts was unbelievably bad -almost came off his ankle and it barely scudded over the crossbar just inside the upright. Maybe JJ at 12 is the solution for RWC2015
        JS for 12, JJ's the 10-in-waiting.
        I'm blue in the face saying it.
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
          JS for 12, JJ's the 10-in-waiting.
          I'm blue in the face saying it.
          Well yes, that's the other option!

Comment

Well, we should be about to see serious competition for starting spots all across the back line, in the back row, at lock, at TH and for virtually all the bench spots.*

For me, of yesterday's starting team only Healy, Best, POC, Heaslip, Murray and Sexton could be justified in feeling that there's any daylight between themselves and their competitors and even some of them may come under pressure very soon (I'm looking at you Jamie!).

*Relies on Joe removing the blue goggles and looking beyond the Pale for options.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
              Well, we should be about to see serious competition for starting spots all across the back line, in the back row, at lock, at TH and for virtually all the bench spots.*

For me, of yesterday's starting team only Healy, Best, POC, Heaslip, Murray and Sexton could be justified in feeling that there's any daylight between themselves and their competitors and even some of them may come under pressure very soon (I'm looking at you Jamie!).

*Relies on Joe removing the blue goggles and looking beyond the Pale for options.

If Ferris comes back firing then Heaslip may have a bit of competition if Joe considers shuffling his backrow around any. I rate Copeland too but don't think he's at Heaslip's level for now.

I don't think there's any question whether or not Joe will look beyond Leinster for options. You just have to look at Trimble for example. He did everything Joe asked him to do, applied himself and got back into the Irish team where he has excelled. We still have Bowe and Earls to come back too. Zebo will hopefully not go too mad this Summer and not come back like Yokozuna to pre season. JJ Hanrahan will have to come into consideration at some stage, Donnacha Ryan too. Then Munster have two good looseheads and a decent hooker.

Schmidt didn't pick players based on where they play their rugby, he picked them on their ability to do the job. Fortunately they did it and Ireland are now six nations champions.

Comment

Next year is the odd year . .the year that really favours Grand Slams.

That victory was a serious achievement by Schmidt, especially in the manner he did it. Beating a french team that was resurgent in Paris.

It was great to see the way some players grew and grew, Trimble, Toner to name just two.

Despite all the concern about Sexton playing too many games there were at least 4 games where he was one of our top 2 - 3 players and MOM in some of those, more than he got credit for.

With a wider squad and more time for players to become familiar with Joe's ways for next year.

Because after that, after summer 2015 we'll be back to square one again . . .looking for a coach etc

Comment

2015 is all about beating France again (twice).
                  Firstly in Lansdowne in 6n and secondly in pool match in RWC. The longer PSA stays in job the better for us.
                  "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Hopefully we'll see a bit more trust in our coach moving forward and a bit less of the bitter sniping at certain players with a greater appreciation for how a great hec player does not equate to a great international player in any system. It's shameful looking back at some of the comments about Trimble and Toner on this forum over the past few months considering the mammoth tournaments they had.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                      Schmidt's choices: The subs.
                      • I guess the hardest place to start is that Schmidt rates the Leinster subs over our starters. I just don't know where the players being left out, go from. What do the players need to do to get in his favours? Because I'm not sure there's anything they can do. If they can't challenge sub players when they're playing week in week out. How can they ever get in ahead of those players in Schmidt's mind?

Backs:
                      • Dave Kearney..without attacking a player, God bless him he tries, but he is average, but Schmidt persisted with him and I think he played every minute of every game, (I stand to be corrected). He's an average player and genuinely cost us at times. Surely Schmidt saw that? Yet did nothing about it.
                      -Such sour grapes if those subs can continue to come on with 10-20 minutes to go in championship games and squeeze out a win against a team that (while not particularly well coached) is a decent french side. Then its the outsiders that have it all to prove not the incumbents a Heineken cup or two could help in that department

- With regards to DK he was what Ireland needed this six nations considering that earls,bowe,fitzgerald were hors de combat
                      Fides et Robur

Comment

Plenty options no doubt, Does Joe have a bias ?. Maybe he just feels the Munster options are not good enough, I just hope players outside Leinster are given a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by bankman View Post
                          Plenty options no doubt, Does Joe have a bias ?. Maybe he just feels the Munster options are not good enough, I just hope players outside Leinster are given a chance.
                          Schmidt has a massive bias towards winning trophies
                          Fides et Robur

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsground View Post
                            -Such sour grapes if those subs can continue to come on with 10-20 minutes to go in championship games and squeeze out a win against a team that (while not particularly well coached) is a decent french side. Then its the outsiders that have it all to prove not the incumbents a Heineken cup or two could help in that department

- With regards to DK he was what Ireland needed this six nations considering that earls,bowe,fitzgerald were hors de combat
                            I don't think it's sour grapes to question the bench. Three of the games were over before the bench were on. They did well to finish off a tiring Italy but to be quite frank I'd have fancied my own chances against a side that had made 200 tackles by that point. Against England the bench were unable to change the result and against France the replacement front row got buckled twice where the starters had been well on top. I don't think anyone would have been surprised if that last scrum had ended in a penalty that would have cost us the championship. Despite our excellent season the bench should not feel they are safe.

Comment

Originally posted by budgetwinger View Post
                              I don't think it's sour grapes to question the bench. Three of the games were over before the bench were on. They did well to finish off a tiring Italy but to be quite frank I'd have fancied my own chances against a side that had made 200 tackles by that point. Against England the bench were unable to change the result and against France the replacement front row got buckled twice where the starters had been well on top. I don't think anyone would have been surprised if that last scrum had ended in a penalty that would have cost us the championship. Despite our excellent season the bench should not feel they are safe.
                              I agree with a lot of the above id only say "sour grapes" in the context of the win. Success happens at the margins and the leinster heavy bench completely vindicated their selection
                              Fides et Robur

Comment

Working...
                              X