Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be wearing No 13 for Ireland in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reus View Post
    Why did Munster buy Laulala and shunt Earls to the wing if he was "pulling up trees" at 13? Why did Deccie abandon the BOD/Earls centre partnership idea after one game? Presumably Deccie, McGahan and Penney have all seen what Earls can do in training as well yet came to the conclusion that centre wasn't his position?
    Cover. Keet has had a series of shor and longer term injuries. It's my firm belief that Earls is Munster's most creative centre but he needs a run of four plus games at centre to really show what he can do, and he hasn't been that lucky.

When you're the best centre and the best winger on a team and there's a shortage of wings, well that's what versatility gets you.
    Last edited by rathbaner; 18-March-2014, 18:06.
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
      Cover. Keet has had a series of shor and longer term injuries. It's my firm belief that Earls is Munster's most creative centre but he needs a run of four plus games at centre to really show what he can do, and he hasn't been that lucky.

When you're the best centre and the best winger on a team and there's a shortage of wings, well that's what versatility gets you.
      Hmmmm, not sold on this. I think Earls is a great winger, but only an average centre, particularly at international level. I feel on the wing he plays to his strengths of straight speed, ability to exploit pace & space to do so, try scoring, counter attacking, fielding, line kicking, chipping and general back 3 work, all of which he's really great at. In centre, his footwork used to leave him down way too often, losing his feet while trying to exploit gaps, though he has hugely improved this affect of his game, in fairness to him. Also he hasn't the quickest hands and his passing & handling & deft touches are not good enough for a top international class centre imho, e.g. compare his touches, feints and passes versus Bod's say...not even close. So Earls a good centre for sure, but a great Intl winger imho.

13's for RWC, Payne, Henshaw , Cave in about that order imho. Earls on the wing and as utility option also.
      Last edited by Daithi; 18-March-2014, 20:15.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

I think it will be Payne, if he starts there for province, has more experience and way older than Henshaw, will be playing in the H'cup. Tough to see Henshaw come from 3 caps to starting against France etc in WC in only 18 months time..... It won't be Earls

Comment

Originally posted by Elmnop View Post
          I think it will be Payne, if he starts there for province, has more experience and way older than Henshaw, will be playing in the H'cup. Tough to see Henshaw come from 3 caps to starting against France etc in WC in only 18 months time..... It won't be Earls
          Murray went from 0 caps to starting in a World Cup quarter final in the space of about a month. If you're good enough, you're experienced enough.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
            Murray went from 0 caps to starting in a World Cup quarter final in the space of about a month. If you're good enough, you're experienced enough.
            That's with a good selector though.

Benching for Leinster is not a good enough criterion for being in the Irish squad imho. Ask TOD, DRyan, PJackson how they feel about this!?

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
              That's with a good selector though.

Benching for Leinster is not a good enough criterion for being in the Irish squad imho. Ask TOD, DRyan, PJackson how they feel about this!?
              You've answered a question nobody asked.

Comment

Murray had a Pro12 winners medal so he wasn't that inexperienced. He also had the benefit of playing with ROG who he was used to playing with.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post
                  Murray had a Pro12 winners medal so he wasn't that inexperienced. He also had the benefit of playing with ROG who he was used to playing with.
                  He went into that World Cup on the back of 6 starts in his entire senior career. That just underlines my point - he won a Pro 12 with virtually no prior experience and kicked straight on to the World Cup. Having Rog alongside him wasn't necessarily that big a help considering post-WC Kidney tended to use him in tandem with Sexton and Rog with Reddan.

Comment

There is no need to try and justify the 'If you are good enough you are experienced enough' mantra.

There is so much evidence from the World of Sport that it doesn't need justification.

Comment

He went into that World Cup on the back of 6 starts in his entire senior career. That just underlines my point - he won a Pro 12 with virtually no prior experience and kicked straight on to the World Cup. Having Rog alongside him wasn't necessarily that big a help considering post-WC Kidney tended to use him in tandem with Sexton and Rog with Reddan.
                      8 starts actually (6 Rabo & 2 Amlin). He also came off the bench for Munster's win over Australia, so he has been involved in the big occasion. He also has the knack of going along as an also ran, and coming out on top. (U20s, Munster & Lions).

After the World Cup, ROG didn't start another game for Ireland, so I imagine in the interests of squad development, Murray & Sexton were paired together internationally.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post
                        8 starts actually (6 Rabo & 2 Amlin). He also came off the bench for Munster's win over Australia, so he has been involved in the big occasion. He also has the knack of going along as an also ran, and coming out on top. (U20s, Munster & Lions).

After the World Cup, ROG didn't start another game for Ireland, so I imagine in the interests of squad development, Murray & Sexton were paired together internationally.
                        Did he not? Hmm. In any case, Henshaw might not have a title to his name but he's played on plenty of big occasions too. In the case of both players, we'll only know how they'll cope with international rugby once they are playing games.

Comment

Joe name checks his likely candidates as reported in the UK Guardian his morning - Earls is notably by his absence.

Looks like he'll be fighting for a wing spot.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
                            Joe name checks his likely candidates as reported in the UK Guardian his morning - Earls is notably by his absence.

Or he has been told under no circumstances to mention Keith Earls as a centre because the internet & press will go into mentdown about him which isn't good for a confidence player.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post

Henshaw as well name checked by Guy Easterby several times in the press. I think the IRFU are going to push him that direction. Wouldn't surprise me.
                              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                                Henshaw as well name checked by Guy Easterby several times in the press. I think the IRFU are going to push him that direction. Wouldn't surprise me.
                                Guy Easterby was obviously asked about him (hardly surprising since BOD will be retiring from Leinster as well). He dismissed him as he said he is contracted to Connacht for the next couple of years.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/rugby/eas...-30103544.html

Leinster could even solve two problems with one signing by getting their hands on Connacht's Robbie Henshaw. They will have to wait in the long grass as the former Westmeath minor footballer will be out West until the summer of 2016, at least.

Replacements

"Robbie Henshaw is a fantastic talent. Why would you not be interested in him? Absolutely! We would be," he said.
                                "If he's happy at Connacht, which he obviously is because he's just signed a two-year contract, who are we to say: 'you're better off at Leinster?'"

Comment

Working...
                                X