Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be wearing No 13 for Ireland in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theghost
    replied
    Bod is a hard act to follow , offensively maybe the last few years he has been on the wane but at his peak he was unreal , great eye for a break and great hands . In my opinion Ireland have benefitted greatly from his time at 13 due to his defensive work , hard as nails brave and very good defender . It all depend on type of game Schmidt wants to play post bod era , Bowe and earls have the ability to adapt but will either be strong enough in defense . Henshaw Payne seem obvious choices but wouldn't rule out a change at 10 and sexton to centre either . Depends on jackson Madigan and hopefully JJ stepping up and making a serious case between here and 6 nations 2015 .

Leave a comment:

• Paddy Whac
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I agree, but that decision will have minuscule impact either way. Let's leave it there.
    A minute for a rookie is like a game for a retiree.

The AIs was more about hoping Ireland would beat the ABs than prepping for the 6Ns.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Swanson
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy Whac View Post
    Every minute on the field for a rookie is far more important than giving a retiree another cap.
    I agree, but that decision will have minuscule impact either way. Let's leave it there.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy Whac
    replied
    No - equally giving Henshaw the game against Samoa would make negligible difference to his prospects.

My point is that it is really grasping at straws to criticise JS about this particular issue.
    Every minute on the field for a rookie is far more important than giving a retiree another cap.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Swanson
    replied
    So you think we'd have lost yesterday if BOD hadn't played against Samoa last November?
    No - equally giving Henshaw the game against Samoa would make negligible difference to his prospects.

My point is that it is really grasping at straws to criticise JS about this particular issue.

Leave a comment:

• eoghan
    replied
    I would have thought the answer is linked at least in part to two as yet unresolved questions:

1. Who will be wearing 13 for Leinster next season?
    2. Who will be wearing 13 for Munster next season?

It seems reasonably likely that in both cases it'll be a converted winger, but who knows. In the context it seems ever more bizarre that Henshaw decided to extend his Connacht contract, with all respect.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    I liked St. Joe's response to being asked will we ever see the likes of BOD again. I'd say there were a fair few youngsters up and down the island thinking big when he said something along the lines of, "The search begins now".
    Not that the search for brilliance in all positions shouldn't be as systematically structured as Ireland's performances under Joe.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy Whac
    replied
    So you think we'd have lost yesterday if BOD hadn't played against Samoa last November?

Leave a comment:

• The Outlaw
    replied
    The one player we know is retiring (retired now) was allowed start every game since Joe took over, he's experimented in almost every other position, he even played three outhalves over the 8 games yet the oldest is only 28.

Doesn't make sense.
    Makes sense when you're trying to win something. Our many times have we won the 6 Nations?

Leave a comment:

• The Outlaw
    replied
    Originally posted by dropkick View Post
    I think Henshaw will be BODs successor. One major area of weakness in the England and France games were the Irish midfield where the Franglos sent big centres crashing down the center channel and basically using their massive size advantage against D'Arcy and BOD. Henshaw isn't massive but he is big and a good athlete.

Henshaw isn't the finished player yet but his positives will outweigh things like lack of experience.

Its hard to say whether he's a better 15 then 13. I really think he'd already give RK a run for the 15 jersey if he was allowed to.

I dunno on 13 to be honest. He has the attributes and JS really fancies him there but he's short on experience there.

He's a big lad too. 6ft 2 and over a 100kgs. Not shabby for a centre. Not far off 16 stone. We haven't many backs in that range.

So was BOD inexperienced. when he started out there but he was a once off.

Our next 13 is on a hiding to nothing anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy Whac
    replied
    I think not playing BOD would have been worse preparation for the 6N.

Edit - didn't read outlaws post before I posted.
    The one player we know is retiring (retired now) was allowed start every game since Joe took over, he's experimented in almost every other position, he even played three outhalves over the 8 games yet the oldest is only 28.

Doesn't make sense.

Leave a comment:

• jeepers
    replied
    At the start of the Six Nations, BOD on the subject:

…….

''There's lots of guys that can play there … We're very focussed at the moment in Ireland on guys being able to play in one position.
    ''Keith Earls can play 13 and play it well if he is given a good crack at it. Luke (Fitzgerald) can play there. Robbie Henshaw is playing there now for Connacht and Jared (Payne) comes into the mix come November so we're in pretty good shape.
    Discreetly prompted by team manager Mick Kearney that Darren Cave is also in the mix, O'Driscoll continued; 'And Darren, it goes without saying he played 12 at the weekend (for the Wolfhounds) and can play both 12 and 13.
    He has been one of the form players. At one point he got dropped by Ulster and Jared was playing 13 but through injury he has got in and probably has been one of the form 13s in Ireland this year.

……

From an article in the Daily Mail by Liam Heagney on Robbie Henshaws Official website ;)
    Last edited by jeepers; 16-March-2014, 21:47.

Leave a comment:

• dropkick
    replied
    I think Henshaw will be BODs successor. One major area of weakness in the England and France games were the Irish midfield where the Franglos sent big centres crashing down the center channel and basically using their massive size advantage against D'Arcy and BOD. Henshaw isn't massive but he is big and a good athlete.

Henshaw isn't the finished player yet but his positives will outweigh things like lack of experience.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Swanson
    replied
    Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
    Hindsight's a great thing.
    I don't see how that applies here.

My view is that it was sensible to play the prospective 6N team for the AIs. This gave us the best chance of success in the 6N. Giving Henshaw or whoever game time was a lesser priority, especially since we have five friendlies between now and the next 6N.

To be honest I think you're just looking for a stick to beat JS with.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Swanson
    replied
    Who will be wearing No 13 for Ireland in 2015?

So you agree with me, playing BOD during the AIs wasn't the best preparation for the W/cup.
    I think not playing BOD would have been worse preparation for the 6N.

Edit - didn't read outlaws post before I posted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X