Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be wearing No 13 for Ireland in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy Whac View Post
    So you think we'd have lost yesterday if BOD hadn't played against Samoa last November?
    No - equally giving Henshaw the game against Samoa would make negligible difference to his prospects.

My point is that it is really grasping at straws to criticise JS about this particular issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
      No - equally giving Henshaw the game against Samoa would make negligible difference to his prospects.

My point is that it is really grasping at straws to criticise JS about this particular issue.
      Every minute on the field for a rookie is far more important than giving a retiree another cap.

Comment

Every minute on the field for a rookie is far more important than giving a retiree another cap.
        I agree, but that decision will have minuscule impact either way. Let's leave it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
          I agree, but that decision will have minuscule impact either way. Let's leave it there.
          A minute for a rookie is like a game for a retiree.

The AIs was more about hoping Ireland would beat the ABs than prepping for the 6Ns.

Comment

Bod is a hard act to follow , offensively maybe the last few years he has been on the wane but at his peak he was unreal , great eye for a break and great hands . In my opinion Ireland have benefitted greatly from his time at 13 due to his defensive work , hard as nails brave and very good defender . It all depend on type of game Schmidt wants to play post bod era , Bowe and earls have the ability to adapt but will either be strong enough in defense . Henshaw Payne seem obvious choices but wouldn't rule out a change at 10 and sexton to centre either . Depends on jackson Madigan and hopefully JJ stepping up and making a serious case between here and 6 nations 2015 .
            Still there's a light I hold before me
            You're the measure of my dreams
            The measure of my dreams.

Comment

Yesterday, Joe name checked the pretenders for the 13 jersey. Earls wasn't one of them so unless he pulls up trees next season for Munster he'll be competing for one of the wing positions for the Irish squad
              I don't think he'll be competing. The 11 shirt is Earls' to lose once he's fit.

Comment

Interesting article - BOD spending extra time with Henshaw and Cave during 6N training sessions.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-30103228.html

Comment

Joe just name checked Henshaw, Cave and Fitz as probable 13s in the post BOD era.
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                    I don't think he'll be competing. The 11 shirt is Earls' to lose once he's fit.
                    Munster still have to find a 13 and when Ealrs has been there (eg with Mafi) he was pulling up trees.

O'Gara backed Earls for the role a few weeks ago saying 'I've seen what he can do in training over the years, Joe hasn't'

So I wouldn't rule him out just because he was too young and inexperienced to replace O'Driscoll over the past four years nor because of the Leinster chant the Earls is a winger.

15 Payne
                    14 Bowe
                    13 Earls
                    12 Olding
                    11 Zebo

C'mon Joe are you taking notes here?
                    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...re-625365.html

Schmidt has been building Ireland’s new dynasty of outside centres to replace O'Driscoll for nine months.

Ireland's head coach said Ireland have tried to “bleed as much as we can” out of the iconic centre in his final moments on the international scene.

Schmidt wants to keep O’Driscoll close to the national set-up until the 35-year-old retires fully in the summer, following his 141st and final Test as Ireland saw off France 22-20 to claim the RBS 6 Nations title.

Leinster stalwart O’Driscoll has already mentored Robbie Henshaw and Darren Cave in the Ireland squad, and Schmidt believes Ulster’s Jared Payne will be a definite contender.

New Zealand-born Payne qualifies through residency in November, and Schmidt admitted the 28-year-old will be in immediate international contention.

“To be honest the search for his successors started when I got the job, and he and I sat down,” said Schmidt.

“There were pretty clear parameters about how long he would be available.

“We’ve been doing that for the last nine months really, because we knew this day was coming.

“We’ve tried to bleed him dry over the last six months, in camp sitting down with Robbie Henshaw and Darren Cave, talking through things as we’ve done them.

“We’ve tried to bleed as much as we can out of him.

“Brian would be the first to say that Les [Kiss] has brought a bit to his defensive game this season as well.

“We’ve certainly been watching players, and I think both Robbie and Darren have profited from the time they spent working with Brian.

“One of the real success stories as a group was how much those players brought.

“We’d be delighted if Brian stayed reasonably close to the group, because of the character he is as well as the on-field intelligence he brings to the group.

“I guess that depends a little on Sadie and Amy [O’Driscoll’s daughter and wife] and other commitments he might have beyond the end of the season.

“I know right now his full focus will probably just be recuperating for a couple of weeks, then targeting several massive games coming up for his province.”

Schmidt said “class player” Payne will do battle with the likes of Luke Fitzgerald, Fergus McFadden, Henshaw and Cave in the long-term fight for Ireland’s now-vacant 13 shirt.

“Robbie Henshaw was almost whistled in every week during the tournament, because we were very much patched together at points and certainly for that last game,” said Schmidt.

“There were some players who were starting to creak, as I said.

“There are a few players who didn’t manage to finish training that week.

“It did make preparation a little difficult, but those players knew they would be physically able to play, as long as we managed them carefully during the week.

“And thankfully that was the case.

“Robbie and Darren have been involved there.

“Guys like Luke Fitzgerald who might play there a bit for Leinster, and came on and did a good job there against the All Blacks considering he hadn’t had a lot of time at centre.

“Those sorts of guys, we’ll obviously keep an eye on as well.

“And Jared Payne would definitely be another guy in the frame.

“He’s a class player, an experienced player and he has a natural intuition on the field.

Comment

Lots of praise for Donnacha Ryan from uncle Joe in this piece

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-na...h-was-obvious/

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                          Munster still have to find a 13 and when Ealrs has been there (eg with Mafi) he was pulling up trees.

O'Gara backed Earls for the role a few weeks ago saying 'I've seen what he can do in training over the years, Joe hasn't'

So I wouldn't rule him out just because he was too young and inexperienced to replace O'Driscoll over the past four years nor because of the Leinster chant the Earls is a winger.

15 Payne
                          14 Bowe
                          13 Earls
                          12 Olding
                          11 Zebo

C'mon Joe are you taking notes here?
                          Nope he's not because Earls will not be playing in the centre for JS. He'll be on the wing. It'll be Payne when he's available based on that above even thought I want to see an Irishman there
                          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                            Nope he's not because Earls will not be playing in the centre for JS. He'll be on the wing. It'll be Payne when he's available based on that above even thought I want to see an Irishman there
                            Given all the shyte Joe talks in press conferences, I think you'd be unwise to assume anything. On the basis that Luke Fitz plays for Leinster and has been learning how to resource rucks for years, he's the most likely candidate. McFadden next. Then Brendan Macken.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
                              Given all the shyte Joe talks in press conferences, I think you'd be unwise to assume anything. On the basis that Luke Fitz plays for Leinster and has been learning how to resource rucks for years, he's the most likely candidate. McFadden next. Then Brendan Macken.
                              Jesus you must have been crying into your pint on Saturday night, quite sad really.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero View Post
                                Jesus you must have been crying into your pint on Saturday night, quite sad really.
                                Hysterical. Man on internet forgets he is not empathic visionary, but just a sap with a computer.

Comment

Working...
                                X