Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be wearing No 13 for Ireland in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot will depend on Leinsters new 13 is and who the partnering 12 is. If McFadden takes the 13 shirt at Leinster there'd be a lot of temptation for Schmidt to slot him in beside Sexton and D'arcy for minimal disruption.
    For Payne at 13 I'd say it's a pretty simple situation of him needing to displace Cave at provincial level first, I don't see him being picked at centre while he continues to play FB for Ulster.
    Would expect Schmidt to back Henshaw for Argentina and the AI's and see how he rises to the occasion. He'll have a trusted fallback for the 2015 6N and the world cup if that doesn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by fishooks12 View Post
      two summer tests and three November tests left this year, so no, we don't have to wait for the year of the World Cup to try guys outSurely you knew that much?
      Actually I'm well aware of the international fixtures, but we had a chance to experiment in the November Internationals but we chose not to. A summer tour is always just one big experiment. The intensity and pressure isn't the same, likewise in November. We could have experimented before the 6 nations and given a player the odd run out in the 6 Nations against the likes of Italy and Scotland. We missed that opportunity as we were too occupied with giving BOD a final lap of honour and he played every minute of the Championship. Now we have to wait to at least the November games to see how they go in pressurised competitive games. So I stand by my comments about having to wait about a year to figure out who will replace BOD.
      The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
        Actually I'm well aware of the international fixtures, but we had a chance to experiment in the November Internationals but we chose not to. A summer tour is always just one big experiment. The intensity and pressure isn't the same, likewise in November. We could have experimented before the 6 nations and given a player the odd run out in the 6 Nations against the likes of Italy and Scotland. We missed that opportunity as we were too occupied with giving BOD a final lap of honour and he played every minute of the Championship. Now we have to wait to at least the November games to see how they go in pressurised competitive games. So I stand by my comments about having to wait about a year to figure out who will replace BOD.
        No he didn't. Nor did he play every minute in November.

Comment

Who will be wearing No 13 for Ireland in 2015?

stringer9 - What impact do you reckon that will have on Ireland's future prospects. I would guess very little.
          Last edited by Ron Swanson; 16-March-2014, 14:11.

Comment

When is Jared Payne IQ?
            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
              When is Jared Payne IQ?
              Prior to the AI's I would imagine, he's playing for Ulster 3 years from September.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
                stringer9 - What impact do you reckon that will have on Ireland's future prospects. I would guess very little.
                3 full AIs under his belt and a few mins in each of this years 6Ns would certainly have helped. ROG said Madigan would have learnt loads from his time on the field yesterday.

Comment

Don't know who will get the chance but who ever it is you have to feel sorry for them because they will be judged on the last person who wore 13 and will get slatted.....
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                    Don't know who will get the chance but who ever it is you have to feel sorry for them because they will be judged on the last person who wore 13 and will get slatted.....
                    Agreed a thankless task. However I expect our new centre partnership to be a more physically imposing outfit.

Darcy will go to the next WC but that'll be it for him at international level IMO.
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Give it to Drico was a gameplan we employed for donkey's years. Give it to X would be an unfair gameplan. We need to vary and become more unpredictable.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                        Give it to Drico was a gameplan we employed for donkey's years. Give it to X would be an unfair gameplan. We need to vary and become more unpredictable.

Agreed go back to the days of hitting space rather than run over somebody. Schmidt is primarily a backs coach so it will be interesting to see how it develops
                        "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

No matter what we do it'll never be as familiar a partnership so we're going to go down a bit in the centres in terms of their fluency and probably defensive abilities. The nice thing though is our team as a whole has gotten so much better in all the other areas - we lose a great individual player, but the standards of all the other players through the squad have risen higher than we've previously had.
                          The system is dead! Long live the process!

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                            Which is exactly why the more time he had on the pitch the better.

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                              No matter what we do it'll never be as familiar a partnership so we're going to go down a bit in the centres in terms of their fluency and probably defensive abilities. The nice thing though is our team as a whole has gotten so much better in all the other areas - we lose a great individual player, but the standards of all the other players through the squad have risen higher than we've previously had.
                              That's what they say when ROG and Stringer's partnership ended. Amazingly, we survived.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Whac View Post
                                3 full AIs under his belt and a few mins in each of this years 6Ns would certainly have helped. ROG said Madigan would have learnt loads from his time on the field yesterday.
                                The summer tour games plus the AIs will be enough for anyone who is the real deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X