Our fullback can't tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishooks12 View Post
    He's not playing at 13 for Ulster because he's more valuable at 15 because Ulster are very light in that department

Ireland need him more at 13 so that's where he'll play. I'd bet a sizeable amount of money on him starting his first game at 13 for Ireland

It's by far the best use of our resources so you'll have to put the champagne on ice because Kearney won't be left out of the Irish side for Payne unless Henswhaw shows a massive improvement over the next few months
    Or Ulster's first-choice 13 could be picked there for Ireland.

I have no desire to see Payne wear a green jersey. The project player initiative is a disgrace. But on the balance of probabilities, a man who's spent his career playing 15 and the vast majority of his time in Ireland playing 15 with distinction will probably be a contender at 15 for the national side.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Whac View Post
      Where's the evidence that Joe select Payne at centre rather than FB?

Payne would be super player for Ireland at FB, he's as secure as Kearney under high ball and when he counters he generally makes the right decision so that a pass is on to keep the counter attack alive rather than just head for a ruck and slow the whole attack down. He's defence is also superior to Kearney's.

He's not Irish. Hows that for a reason?

I'm not looking to get Henshaw a cap. I don't care if the next 13 is Henshaw, Olding, Earls, Fitzgerald or Cave as long as h'es bloody Irish.
      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

In the latter half of the year he'll be Irish Qualified and I've no doubt he'll be capped if that is his wish. If he's getting a cap then I think it should be at FB.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Whac View Post
          In the latter half of the year he'll be Irish Qualified and I've no doubt he'll be capped if that is his wish. If he's getting a cap then I think it should be at FB.
          what about our wishes to have irishmen playing
          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
            Write to the IRFU.

Comment

While I'm not a huge fan of the project player initiative (that is, I think it's unbearably cynical to deliberately bring players over to qualify and I hate it with a passion) I think it's very difficult to dismiss all 'foreign' players out of hand. Home is where the heart is, after all, and if a player has made his home here, loves the country and has pride in the jersey then I'm tempted to say good luck to him.

Comment

Have to say I m delighted Picamoles is back in. He's lazy, doesn't pass often. Major question marks over his defence and work rate. a bigger, heavier less dynamic version of Chabal. He will break high or arm tackles but put on his arse a few times he ll disappear
                Last edited by bosh12; 14th-March-2014, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by budgetwinger View Post
                  While I'm not a huge fan of the project player initiative (that is, I think it's unbearably cynical to deliberately bring players over to qualify and I hate it with a passion) I think it's very difficult to dismiss all 'foreign' players out of hand. Home is where the heart is, after all, and if a player has made his home here, loves the country and has pride in the jersey then I'm tempted to say good luck to him.

I would agree.

If a player is here for long enough to genuinely be able to call Ireland home then maybe.

So imo it should be 5 years minimum . . . .6 even if at all. Playing for your country should be 'YOUR' country, not a place you have moved to with your professional career for a few years.

I would also not like to see such a player taking a shirt off an Irish player who is there. Kearney loosing out to Payne as an example.

Its not xenophobia, its loyalty. And I mean that as a rule . .not as an anti Payne thing. Id say the same for Stander. I'm not gone on the idea that he wasn't good enough for the RSA so he came here. . . .club Rugby brilliant. International, No.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the scheme either and would prefer if there was a longer residency requirement (e.g. four or five years) as this is a more significant chunk not just of a person's playing career, but of their lifetime. This would be a stronger indication that they're not merely doing it purely because they weren't able to make it into the national side of their home country and Ireland happens to look like the easiest side to break into. But taking a purely practical approach, if all our rival rugby nations are doing this - and they are, just look at England - then for us to place more stringent conditions on any player seeking to become Ireland-eligible would be the self-imposition of a competitive disadvantage.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

He's not Irish. Hows that for a reason?
                      If he gets an Irish (or British!) passport he is.

I am not a massive fan of it either, but I'd imagine you'd be opening a fairly large box marked "Pandora" if you didn't allow your passport holders to represent your country.
                      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

I am not a massive fan of it either, but I'd imagine you'd be opening a fairly large box marked "Pandora" if you didn't allow your passport holders to represent your country.

Maybe so but I hate it with a passion. It sends out the wrong message IMO. Especially the targetted end of it.

Comment

Not a fan of it at all but that's modern sport. Fact is he'll play, I would imagine at 13.

Comment

Well, all issues with the project player system aside (and I'm not a fan myself), Payne had a fine game at FB last night again. Combined well with Bowe - the two look like they enjoy playing together. Cave was lively at 13 too.

Ulster really can feel aggrieved if a good number of their backs aren't involved in future Ireland squads. They're playing some very good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                              Well, all issues with the project player system aside (and I'm not a fan myself), Payne had a fine game at FB last night again. Combined well with Bowe - the two look like they enjoy playing together. Cave was lively at 13 too.

Ulster really can feel aggrieved if a good number of their backs aren't involved in future Ireland squads. They're playing some very good stuff.
                              Joy has to be the key to, what is it, freedom, freedom, twirling towards freedom?
                              Last edited by ustix; 15th-March-2014, 09:11.
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

He wouldn't be entitled to an Irish passport (or possibly even a British one - I'm not sure what their citizenship requirements are) but he wouldn't need one anyway. Three years of continuous residency on the island of Ireland is all he needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X