Our fullback can't tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
    Jimmy - I don't hate Leinster players, nor indeed any rugby player, please do not presume to know how I feel. For your reference I have stated on this forum that growing up my favourite Irish player, once Moss Keane had retired was Brendan Mullin, a terrific three quarter and exceptional Leinster and Ireland hero.

I believe, perhaps naively, that an international standard fullback should be able to tackle and currently Rob Kearney can not. I accept and I agree with the view that Rob Kearney is the best "all round" fullback available to Joe Schmidt. This doesn't change the fact that I think the ability to execute a basic skill for any international rugby player should be a reasonable expectation. Going further, I would hope that position specific skills, such as tackling for a fullback, would be mastered well before a player got near a provincial jersey, nevermind a national one. Think about the All Blacks, because we should be measuring ourselves against the best, one of the elements of their success is the simple ability to execute core skills perfectly. If we can not match them this level, we are back to needing "everything to go our way" to have a chance of beating them.

Therefore, just as I would slate a hooker who can't throw straight, or a centre who can't pass, I think a fullback should be able to tackle and currently, Rob Kearney can't. He is a wonder under the high ball, a great broken field runner, he has good distribution skills and a siege gun boot on him. I would put a fullback's defensive duties above and beyond anything else, which probably explains why I have a season ticket, rather than a coach's seat.
    Good grief, he missed one tackle. You'd swear he'd forgotten how to jump or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy C View Post
      Wow. I used to view this site as it was pretty informative but some of the stuff written is taking bitterness to a new level. You might call it humour but it’s pretty obviously not. Rob Kearney was not the best full back in the tournament (probably the best tournament for fullbacks there’s been for a while) but he is Ireland’s full back and did some pretty good work. Yes you have chosen to highlight his worst moment when we leaked our second try in four games. You drag in provincial references to justify why he should have been dropped.

Perhaps you could have highlighted one of IRELAND’s best moments when Kearney countered in Paris, Murray fed Healy, Sexton passed to Darcy who passed to Trimble to O’Driscoll while Oconnell picked and Murray passed to Sexton to score. It’s always easier to get a dig in at a player though.

I can only imagine how embarrassed the Munster players who you support would be of your hatred of players who aren’t from your province. Ask POC what he thinks of Rob Kearney.

You finish with a lovely compliment that Leinster’s high point was Toner’s performance. It’s not about F***ing Leinster or Munster, it’s Ireland. I feel sorry for the few on this site who have that hatred towards their countrymen, some even supporting France whilst their own provincial heroes give everything for their country. For any outsiders coming to this site to join in or see the views of Munster fans it’s a pretty poor reflection on your province. Thankfully in the real world outside of internet forums at games in Thomond, Paris & Lansdowne Rd you meet Munster supporters who are actually sound.
      There's been manure-loads of happy-clappy political grandstanding on the site lately. Is there an election on or something?

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
        There's been manure-loads of happy-clappy political grandstanding on the site lately. Is there an election on or something?

More a case of people getting sick of the handful of muppets ruining the site for everyone else
        AKA Ugo Monye Spacecraft Experience

Comment

Originally posted by fishooks12 View Post
          More a case of people getting sick of the handful of muppets ruining the site for everyone else
          The internet is a serious business, of course. Munsterfans in ruins, you say? What a tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
            Jimmy - I don't hate Leinster players, nor indeed any rugby player, please do not presume to know how I feel. For your reference I have stated on this forum that growing up my favourite Irish player, once Moss Keane had retired was Brendan Mullin, a terrific three quarter and exceptional Leinster and Ireland hero.

I believe, perhaps naively, that an international standard fullback should be able to tackle and currently Rob Kearney can not. I accept and I agree with the view that Rob Kearney is the best "all round" fullback available to Joe Schmidt. This doesn't change the fact that I think the ability to execute a basic skill for any international rugby player should be a reasonable expectation. Going further, I would hope that position specific skills, such as tackling for a fullback, would be mastered well before a player got near a provincial jersey, nevermind a national one. Think about the All Blacks, because we should be measuring ourselves against the best, one of the elements of their success is the simple ability to execute core skills perfectly. If we can not match them this level, we are back to needing "everything to go our way" to have a chance of beating them.

Therefore, just as I would slate a hooker who can't throw straight, or a centre who can't pass, I think a fullback should be able to tackle and currently, Rob Kearney can't. He is a wonder under the high ball, a great broken field runner, he has good distribution skills and a siege gun boot on him. I would put a fullback's defensive duties above and beyond anything else, which probably explains why I have a season ticket, rather than a coach's seat.
            You called for him to be dropped and now state that he is Ireland’s best “all round” fullback available so Joe should have dropped him for a worse all round player for the championship decider? Definitely explains why you’re not a coach. You justified it by saying if it was Jones or Zebo who missed the tackle that “neighbours in blue” would demand an execution. It’s just sad. I'm assuming you're a grown up given Keane and Mullin were your favourites growing up. You make sarcastic references to O’Driscoll and Kearney so it’s hard not to come to the conclusion that you’ve got some sort of problem with them or where they're from. Incidentally Kearney had a 72% tackle success rate in the championship (13/18) Mike Brown had 73% (11/15). I’ll leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
              The internet is a serious business, of course. Munsterfans in ruins, you say? What a tragedy.

Good man yourself. Maybe yourself Sewa/Barley's Chino's could set up your own forum for a giant circle jerk about the evils of Leinster rugby?

You could have a whole section dedicated to nicknames for Leinster players

Comment

Disgraceful attempt at a call out thread. I've been very restrained if anything
                My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Close the thread, Nothing new here Sure Munster had a 10 who couldnt tackle his granny for years and was still one of their greatest.
                  We won the Championship. Yes Kearney has faults but his the best 15 in the country we dont have the luxury of dropping lads willy nilly when they make a mistake.
                  When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                    Disgraceful attempt at a call out thread. I've been very restrained if anything
                    At least your posts are entertaining Sewa, I'll give you that much

Comment

Working...
                    X