Our fullback can't tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the funniest bit about it.

After 3 years he could pass the Irb rules, but not be naturalised. So no Irish Passport but can play for Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
      That's the funniest bit about it.

After 3 years he could pass the Irb rules, but not be naturalised. So no Irish Passport but can play for Ireland.
      Well Ireland is a bit of a basket case as our international team crosses political borders, but yeah. I think further down the line, rugby might have to move closer to soccer's rules and require actual permanent nationality.

Comment

It's the same in every EU member state. be (legally) resident in a member state for 4 of the last 6 years and you get a passport.

Comment

It's called Naturalisation.

While it has sped up recently due to the recession (applicants pay a fortune) It can still take years for the process.
          I know of someone who waited 7 years.

That's alot longer than 3.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
            He wouldn't be entitled to an Irish passport (or possibly even a British one - I'm not sure what their citizenship requirements are) but he wouldn't need one anyway. Three years of continuous residency on the island of Ireland is all he needs.
            Yes, sorry you are correct.

Maybe the IRB could make that part of the deal ie you must be a passport holder of the country you represent. If I recall correctly you need to have an Irish passport to play for the footballers?

Although that would mean, in our case, being a British or Irish passport holder.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
              It's the same in every EU member state. be (legally) resident in a member state for 4 of the last 6 years and you get a passport.

Its not 4 out of 6 . . .

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000014

Oh and another little side note . . . .Naturalisation is not any kind of right etc . . .Your post seems to suggest that, perhaps im taking you up wrong but it does seem . .

Naturalisation is at the absolute discretion of the Minister for Justice as you will see from the link.
              Last edited by Corcíoch; 16th-March-2014, 13:44.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                Yes, sorry you are correct.

Maybe the IRB could make that part of the deal ie you must be a passport holder of the country you represent. If I recall correctly you need to have an Irish passport to play for the footballers?

Although that would mean, in our case, being a British or Irish passport holder.
                Again, Ireland is kind of weird due to our nationality rules (anybody born on the island to a citizen of either country is automatically a citizen) so you can actually play for the Irish soccer team on a British passport (theoretically - I don't think it's ever happened), but to play for France, for instance, you need to have permanent and unconditional French citizenship and also satisfy certain conditions of lineage or residency.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                  Again, Ireland is kind of weird due to our nationality rules (anybody born on the island to a citizen of either country is automatically a citizen) so you can actually play for the Irish soccer team on a British passport (theoretically - I don't think it's ever happened), but to play for France, for instance, you need to have permanent and unconditional French citizenship and also satisfy certain conditions of lineage or residency.
                  FIFA require you to demonstrate nationality of the country in question, so you are required to present an Irish passport if playing for the Republic of Ireland (and a British passport if you are playing for the North).

Comment

Also it's not measured in years but actual days resident in the country, so if he goes home for the summer then that doesn't count towards residency for naturalisation whatever about qualification for the national team.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post
                      FIFA require you to demonstrate nationality of the country in question, so you are required to present an Irish passport if playing for the Republic of Ireland (and a British passport if you are playing for the North).
                      You can demonstrate Irish nationality without an Irish passport. If you present a British passport with "Born: Belfast" on it, that's sufficient.

Comment

17 seconds in Rob shows us how it's done.

Curiously I hadn't realised it was his Imperial Legendness BOD who can claim an assist for this try with his soccer scoop pass into Sarto's eager hands. Leinster's finest moment of the 6Nations?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post

17 seconds in Rob shows us how it's done.

Curiously I hadn't realised it was his Imperial Legendness BOD who can claim an assist for this try with his soccer scoop pass into Sarto's eager hands. Leinster's finest moment of the 6Nations?
                          get a grip

Comment

Originally posted by Bayern View Post
                            get a grip
                            Are you being ironic? The problem with the greatest fullback ever EVER is that he's trying to get a grip of Sarto whereas the solid application of his shoulder to Sarto's thigh would have knocked him into touch; end of.

If you are suggesting I get a grip, well maybe you don't/can't appreciate irony. My comments about Leinster's finest moment in the 6N's are obviously not serious.

Personally I'd rate Toner's consistently strong performances as Leinster's high point of the competition, but that's just my view.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
                              Are you being ironic? The problem with the greatest fullback ever EVER is that he's trying to get a grip of Sarto whereas the solid application of his shoulder to Sarto's thigh would have knocked him into touch; end of.

If you are suggesting I get a grip, well maybe you don't/can't appreciate irony. My comments about Leinster's finest moment in the 6N's are obviously not serious.

Personally I'd rate Toner's consistently strong performances as Leinster's high point of the competition, but that's just my view.
                              Wow. I used to view this site as it was pretty informative but some of the stuff written is taking bitterness to a new level. You might call it humour but it’s pretty obviously not. Rob Kearney was not the best full back in the tournament (probably the best tournament for fullbacks there’s been for a while) but he is Ireland’s full back and did some pretty good work. Yes you have chosen to highlight his worst moment when we leaked our second try in four games. You drag in provincial references to justify why he should have been dropped.

Perhaps you could have highlighted one of IRELAND’s best moments when Kearney countered in Paris, Murray fed Healy, Sexton passed to Darcy who passed to Trimble to O’Driscoll while Oconnell picked and Murray passed to Sexton to score. It’s always easier to get a dig in at a player though.

I can only imagine how embarrassed the Munster players who you support would be of your hatred of players who aren’t from your province. Ask POC what he thinks of Rob Kearney.

You finish with a lovely compliment that Leinster’s high point was Toner’s performance. It’s not about F***ing Leinster or Munster, it’s Ireland. I feel sorry for the few on this site who have that hatred towards their countrymen, some even supporting France whilst their own provincial heroes give everything for their country. For any outsiders coming to this site to join in or see the views of Munster fans it’s a pretty poor reflection on your province. Thankfully in the real world outside of internet forums at games in Thomond, Paris & Lansdowne Rd you meet Munster supporters who are actually sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy C View Post
                                Wow. I used to view this site as it was pretty informative but some of the stuff written is taking bitterness to a new level. You might call it humour but it’s pretty obviously not. Rob Kearney was not the best full back in the tournament (probably the best tournament for fullbacks there’s been for a while) but he is Ireland’s full back and did some pretty good work. Yes you have chosen to highlight his worst moment when we leaked our second try in four games. You drag in provincial references to justify why he should have been dropped.

Perhaps you could have highlighted one of IRELAND’s best moments when Kearney countered in Paris, Murray fed Healy, Sexton passed to Darcy who passed to Trimble to O’Driscoll while Oconnell picked and Murray passed to Sexton to score. It’s always easier to get a dig in at a player though.

I can only imagine how embarrassed the Munster players who you support would be of your hatred of players who aren’t from your province. Ask POC what he thinks of Rob Kearney.

You finish with a lovely compliment that Leinster’s high point was Toner’s performance. It’s not about F***ing Leinster or Munster, it’s Ireland. I feel sorry for the few on this site who have that hatred towards their countrymen, some even supporting France whilst their own provincial heroes give everything for their country. For any outsiders coming to this site to join in or see the views of Munster fans it’s a pretty poor reflection on your province. Thankfully in the real world outside of internet forums at games in Thomond, Paris & Lansdowne Rd you meet Munster supporters who are actually sound.
                                Jimmy - I don't hate Leinster players, nor indeed any rugby player, please do not presume to know how I feel. For your reference I have stated on this forum that growing up my favourite Irish player, once Moss Keane had retired was Brendan Mullin, a terrific three quarter and exceptional Leinster and Ireland hero.

I believe, perhaps naively, that an international standard fullback should be able to tackle and currently Rob Kearney can not. I accept and I agree with the view that Rob Kearney is the best "all round" fullback available to Joe Schmidt. This doesn't change the fact that I think the ability to execute a basic skill for any international rugby player should be a reasonable expectation. Going further, I would hope that position specific skills, such as tackling for a fullback, would be mastered well before a player got near a provincial jersey, nevermind a national one. Think about the All Blacks, because we should be measuring ourselves against the best, one of the elements of their success is the simple ability to execute core skills perfectly. If we can not match them this level, we are back to needing "everything to go our way" to have a chance of beating them.

Therefore, just as I would slate a hooker who can't throw straight, or a centre who can't pass, I think a fullback should be able to tackle and currently, Rob Kearney can't. He is a wonder under the high ball, a great broken field runner, he has good distribution skills and a siege gun boot on him. I would put a fullback's defensive duties above and beyond anything else, which probably explains why I have a season ticket, rather than a coach's seat.

Comment

Working...
                                X