Time to change? Build for the future.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to change? Build for the future.

Am I the only one who would like to see changes for the next game. I'm not talking about whole changes 1-15, but changes. Take chances, trust the young players to do the job.
    The Grand Slam is gone, so it's a numbers game now and it's not exactly what anyone wanted.
    Don't treat it like a friendly and change the entire team but players who deserve a go, while keeping the majority of players in the team.
    Take a chance..

Maybe give Zebo a go, put Marmion on the bench, maybe give Sexton a break, he was either very poor or he was concussed either of which suggests a break might help. I think we're lacking in our back up 10 and it's worrying to think how much trouble we'd be in if Sexton (God forbid) got injured.

I think that swapping out a couple of players, while keeping the core of the team as it is, but give chances to a few players that deserve it, but usually would have to wait for injuries or meaningless games. I think it would send a good message to the players, that they're trusted at this level when something is at stake.

We saw two teams play on the weekend, one we expect will challenge for the world cup and we expect the other won't. And for me, I can't understand why we're the latter. I'd like to think that we've a better chance than we are giving ourselves. But to do this we need to take chances, broaden our horizons.

I think we've a couple of young players who can make the difference and next season we could have a really exciting team, but I'm worried it'll be too close to the world cup for them to be given a proper chance and we'll stay with our safe choices. These guys have potential they just need to be trusted. Every other team seems to trust their young players except us. We are determined to stick with same old same old, until we are forced to make a change.

I'm not for making panic changes, but there is something to be said for sensible changes here and there, that will help us going forward.
    I do think that a couple of brave changes for Italy would go a long way towards helping build this team, showing that we trust and have confidence in some of the younger guys.
    At this state I don't think it would harm us and just keep a strong core of the starting players, which honestly should be good enough to beat Italy anyway.

I think now would be the perfect time to give a few of the other players ago.
    Or am I alone in this thinking?
    Last edited by Stringer9; 23rd-February-2014, 23:01.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

So you'd like to see some changes then.
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
      So you'd like to see some changes then.
      So, more changes you'd like to see?

I think its changes are what S9 is looking for?

a few changes, to be seen, would be liked?

(stick to the style U79!)

Just a few more changes, wonder what they'd look like?

I am the million man.

Comment

I posted this in the Ire v Eng thread, but here's the team I'd like to see for Italy:

1 McGrath (Healy needs to rest those ankles)
        2 Best
        3 Ross
        4 Toner/Ryan
        5 O'Connell
        6 POM
        7 TOD
        8 Heaslip
        9 Murray
        10 Sexton
        11 Zebo
        12 Marshall
        13 BOD
        14 Trimble
        15 Kearney

I think it has the right balance of changes and continuity.

Comment

With a possible shot at a second championship win in the last 20 years I wouldn't make wholesale changes , I would give Healy a break and put him on bench, McGrath to start , Zebo for Dave Kearney , I would leave sexton at 10 if fit but introduce jackson with 30 mins to go , if j Schmidt can't give him that then drop him and go for someone else .marshall for Darcy , Henderson for toner .
          not wholesale changes but definite need to freshen up team , bod I'm torn on but **** it he deserves to start his last game at home something rog was denied ok different circumstances as game was away but an error by dk anyway .
          Last edited by theghost; 24th-February-2014, 00:43.

Comment

What galls me about the result is that England, with an inexperienced side and few players with any club medals, were more ruthless and dead-eyed than this highly-decorated and experienced Ireland team. For the second year in a row. When does a history of failure in close matches (haven't won a one-score game since Scotland 2011), become a condition? If these lads played for New Zealand, they'd be known as chokers by now. Would it not be better to look past players scarred by failure and pick some young, confident ones? Like England have?

Comment

We should be looking only at putting Italy to the sword to put points difference out of consideration before Paris.

We need two wins, but our 20 odd advantage could disappear fast if we limp past Italy and England then batter them.

I'll sound like a broke record, but TOD, Zebo and Marshall in and run the ****ers off the park.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I'd pick the same 15 again, its no time to panic and the fewer of our players exposed to Scmidtball the better
                My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

There should be some form of filter that stops me posting after like 10.00. Unless I can answer several questions correctly I shouldn't be able to post. I ramble enough when I'm sober, never mind when I've drink in me.
                  I couldn't confidently say what the point of the topic was.

Oh well. Woops. Haha.
                  Last edited by Stringer9; 24th-February-2014, 14:55.
                  The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

I'd start Martin Moore and have Archer on the bench.
                    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Hope Joe isnt allowed to contaminate our players, I fear.

Comment

I relaise this is mad, but I'd change the lot and go for a younger ball carrying fifteen:
                        Kilcoyne Cronin Moore
                        Henderson Ryan
                        Ruddock Copeland TOD
                        Marmion Jackson
                        Luke Fitz Marshall Henshaw/ Cave McFadden
                        Zebo.

We need tries and lots of them, the above team is full of try scorers. Bring back the old men for the french game.
                        Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
                          I relaise this is mad, but I'd change the lot and go for a younger ball carrying fifteen:
                          Kilcoyne Cronin Moore
                          Henderson Ryan
                          Ruddock Copeland TOD
                          Marmion Jackson
                          Luke Fitz Marshall Henshaw/ Cave McFadden
                          Zebo.

We need tries and lots of them, the above team is full of try scorers. Bring back the old men for the french game.
                          never gonna happen, it'd undermine the work the squad have been doing since this started and make Joe look like a rabbit in the headlights to the media.

He has a steady ship in his first season and I can't see him rocking the boat.
                          I am the million man.

Comment

First thing I'd like to see for the next game is to have those four singers doing the anthem stoned in public.

Who signs these guys? They speed up the tempo of the song.. why? to make it more exciting?

Can you imagine speeding up the tempo of flower of scotland? shake my head.. but I'd love to know who's accountable.
                            It's shades of RWC 1987 when we had the rose of tralee for the anthem, because some wag thought AnbhF was politically unsafe. Probably some guy in the backroom in twickenham managing to fuk ireland over one more time, on the hour of their biggest game of the year.
                            Last edited by mtcmolloy; 24th-February-2014, 23:14.

Comment

I'd like to see us win the tournament we're in, playing the best players to do that whoever they may be. Building for some undetermined goal in the future is the language of failure. Every awful team in every sport are "building for the future" or in "transition", it's empty PR talk to deflect attention from their dreadful state of affairs in the present and funnelling it into the notion that there'll be a better tomorrow.

I wonder how many times New Zealand have weakened their chance of immediate success to "transition". The answer is zero because such nonsense isn't in the dictionary for winners.

Comment

Working...
                              X