• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wales v France - Phillips Dropped.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26244712

Six Nations 2014: Wales drop Mike Phillips for France

RBS Six Nations: Wales v France

Venue: Millennium Stadium, CardiffDate: Friday, 21 FebruaryKick-off: 20:00 GMT
    Coverage: Live on BBC One, BBC Radio Wales, Radio Cymru & online; live text on the BBC Sport Website

Scrum-half Mike Phillips has been dropped to the bench by Warren Gatland for Wales' match against France in Cardiff on Friday.

The Lions half-back is replaced by Osprey Rhys Webb as Wales make three changes, plus one positional change.

Continue reading the main story
    “We see the game as a huge opportunity for us to put things right”

Warren Gatland

Wales head coach

Luke Charteris returns from a hamstring injury in place of lock Andrew Coombes after missing the 26-3 loss in Ireland.

Scarlets full-back Liam Williams starts on the wing, with George North moving to outside centre.

Ospreys' fly-half Dan Biggar has been named on the bench.

Wales are looking to rekindle their hopes of a third successive Six Nations Championship with victory against France, who have Mathieu Bastareaud fit after a shoulder injury.

"Friday is a massive game for us," said Wales boss Gatland.

"As a squad we have a huge amount of experience in this tournament and we will be calling on that this weekend.

"We see the game as a huge opportunity for us to put things right."

Regarding the changes Gatland said: "Luke Charteris has been working really hard over the past couple of weeks and it's a big boost for us that he is back.

"I thought Rhys Webb played excellently for the Ospreys at the weekend and he comes in and gives us a different dimension and it's a great opportunity for him.

"George North moves into the midfield and he brings great footwork to the role and we were impressed when he went there against Australia in the autumn.

"His partnership with Jamie will be important as we look to stop the directness of France and Mathieu Bastareaud."

Team
    Wales (v France): Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, George North, Jamie Roberts, Liam Williams, Rhys Priestland, Rhys Webb; Gethin Jenkins, Richard Hibbard, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (Capt), Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Ken Owens; Paul James, Rhodri Jones, Jake Ball, Justin Tipuric, Mike Phillips, Dan Biggar, James Hook.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26254685

Six Nations 2014: France pick Bastareaud for Wales match
    RBS Six Nations: Wales v France

Venue: Millennium Stadium, CardiffDate: Friday, 21 FebruaryKick-off: 20:00 GMT
    Coverage: Live on BBC One, BBC Radio Wales, Radio Cymru & online; live text on the BBC Sport Website

France centre Mathieu Bastareaud has recovered from a shoulder injury to start against Wales in Cardiff on Friday.

The Toulon back could potentially line up against Wales' George North in midfield.

Flanker Bernard Le Roux, who suffered concussion in the 30-10 win against Italy, is replaced by Racing Metro team-mate Wenceslas Lauret.

Castres back Remi Tales and hooker Brice Mach are on the bench.

Les Bleus have won both their games in the Six Nations so far, at home to England and Italy.

Reigning champions Wales are looking to keep their hopes of winning a third successive title alive following their 26-3 defeat away to Ireland in their last match.

Team
    FRANCE (v Wales): Brice Dulin; Yoann Huget, Mathieu Bastereaud, Wesley Fofana, Hugo Bonneval; Jules Plisson, Jean-Marc Doussain; Thomas Domingo, Dimitri Szarzewski, Nicolas Mas, Pascal Pape (capt), Yoann Maestri, Yannick Nyanga, Wenceslas Lauret, Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: Brice Mach, Yannick Forestier, Vincent Debaty, Sebastien Vahaamahina, Damien Chouly, Maxime Machenaud, Remi Tales, Gael Fickou

Comment

I genuinely hope that Liam Williams doesn't get injured in this game.
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

They're gonna beat France and all. Nothing gets them going like a drunken Millstad screaming like banshees for French blood of a friday night.
        I am the million man.

Comment

Two woeful halfback combos. Warburton ahead of Tipuric is bizarre at this stage
          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

If you pick webb it does make more sense to pick his regional team mate biggar alongside him.

Personally I'd rather see byrne halfpenny and Cuthbert as our back 3 than have liam Williams out there

He is not test class imo

Comment

Have to wonder what Tipuric and Biggar have to do to get onto this team. Gatland's unwavering loyalty to Warburton and Priestland continues to hold Wales back.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                I genuinely hope that Liam Williams doesn't get injured in this game.
                Indeed. It would be tragic if he were to taste some of his own medicine, and then some.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                  Two woeful halfback combos. Warburton ahead of Tipuric is bizarre at this stage
                  I mentioned it in the England thread about how bad the French half backs are. People telling me they play creative rugby. How can you play creative rugby with those two and the black John Hayes in the centre!
                  He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

I think the Welsh are going to win this by the odd score. Plenty for the Welsh lads to prove after they were stuffed in Dublin. Gwan Wales!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
                      Have to wonder what Tipuric and Biggar have to do to get onto this team. Gatland's unwavering loyalty to Warburton and Priestland continues to hold Wales back.
                      I would have Warburton at 6 and Tipuric 7. The selection of Priestland ahead of Biggar is beyond Jordi Murphy ahead of TOD mental.

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
                        Priestland was shocking against Ireland, but people seem to forget about Biggar's tendency to take his eyes off the game. Both aren't great.
                        Warburton is captain. Has to start if fit. I'm happy with his inclusion. Better than Tibs apart from when he's having a mare, which is rare really.
                        The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                        Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Media reporting can be funny, they talk a lot about France always winning the 6n year after lions tour, they have only Scotland to worry about after this weekend, and then a home showdown, and wales put in their worst performance 2 weeks ago, I can see a backlash from wales, but France might just be getting things right after the first two games.

france to win by 6

Comment

Wales gonna win I think. Fatland will have been terrifying them for the last 2 weeks
                            I am the million man.

Comment

With a likely edge at scrum time and the set piece are France at 6/4 not a great price??

Comment

Working...
                              X