No announcement yet.

Expectations for 6N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rog in the RTE studio for the championship, he wont get too much hassle from Hook. Hook loves him
    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
      Clearly that was close to the zenith of performance levels, I think Schmidt's first job is to smooth out the levels of performance, moving away from peaks and troughs to a more generalised level of winning rugby
      Will be a pretty ugly game on Sunday with the team selected. Won up front and in the scrum. Ireland by 8-10.

Overall depends on what humour France are in. If they are in the mood everyone else is playing for 2nd.
      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
        Nice fellas HS?

Schmidt seems a genuine and affable chap

Gatland has a cold demeanour when interviewed, but I'd say he's quiet and different to the Rottweiler persona?
        Met Gatland after the Munster/Leinster 'won't someone think of the children' game last season. He was a nice friendly guy, posed for photos etc. Not like his tv persona
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Rog said on the ground in France we are favourites this year earlier on 2fm
          I am the million man.

Comment

There's a few reason why Wales have won two 6 nations in a row.

Gatland is a quality coach. He has done what few coaches can do. That is get the most out of the talent he has. Talent wise Wales have a lot but they're weak in many areas so overall they're average. I think a few of their players while good are a little overrated. They've won again the SH big 3 just once under Gatland. That's embarrassing! The SH teams have no problem beating Wales even when they're not playing well, which brings me to my next reason.

The standard of the 6 nations in the last few years have been very poor. France and Ireland in particular have performed nowhere near what they're capable of. Wales have had only england as challengers. England have been rebuilding for a few years now so they're nothing special.

They've also been very lucky with injuries. Well, when it could be more of a case of their players only caring about international rugby and avoiding their clubs and regions as much as possible. They've a good few who plays almost as much for wales as they do for their clubs. Its good for Gatland and Wales but also nightlights problems in Welsh rugby. Theres also a big dropoff from their first team to their second team which they have avoided.

I think Ireland will do well this 6 nations. Win the 3 at home and the 2 away are also winnable especially if France and England have not improved.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
              There's a few reason why Wales have won two 6 nations in a row.

Gatland is a quality coach. He has done what few coaches can do. That is get the most out of the talent he has. Talent wise Wales have a lot but they're weak in many areas so overall they're average. I think a few of their players while good are a little overrated. They've won again the SH big 3 just once under Gatland. That's embarrassing! The SH teams have no problem beating Wales even when they're not playing well, which brings me to my next reason.

The standard of the 6 nations in the last few years have been very poor. France and Ireland in particular have performed nowhere near what they're capable of. Wales have had only england as challengers. England have been rebuilding for a few years now so they're nothing special.

They've also been very lucky with injuries. Well, when it could be more of a case of their players only caring about international rugby and avoiding their clubs and regions as much as possible. They've a good few who plays almost as much for wales as they do for their clubs. Its good for Gatland and Wales but also nightlights problems in Welsh rugby. Theres also a big dropoff from their first team to their second team which they have avoided.

I think Ireland will do well this 6 nations. Win the 3 at home and the 2 away are also winnable especially if France and England have not improved.
              Wales have a couple of world class players in George North and Leigh Halfpenny. And a lot of very good ones. And then one or two weaknesses. Problem is the first two typically produce the magic to cover up the weaknesses.
              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by upfront_1979 View Post
                aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!
                So much heartbreak after so much joy. God i want to see them beaten by us.
                Take it out on every other team in the 6 nations lads. Tear it up!
                rwc2015
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by CauliflowerEars View Post
                  We're full of SuperBlues so i won't accept anything less than a record making Grand Slam!
                  I expect nothing but an RWC from this 6 nations.
                  The system is dead! Long live the process!

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                    I expect nothing but an RWC from this 6 nations.
                    Iaindeed.
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Tough one to pick. Personally I think it could all come down to Murray and Sexton staying fit and hitting their best form. For Murray, he's only just back playing and should be getting back to his best and for Sexton this could be where he gets some joy out of playing rugby again. I think we have a reasonable pack which should get us parity with most teams, O'Connell in form gives us the edge.

We are missing some really good players though (Bowe, Zebo, Earls, Ryan, O'Brien) who I believe would make a difference. I am astounded that Zebo is deemed surplus to requirements. He would walk into nearly any other 23 in the world. What makes it even more astounding is that we are missing Bowe and Earls.

To my expectations. I'd have to say anything less than four wins would be disappointing. We should be able to win all the home games and to be fair given the inconsisitency of France and England surely we're good enough to beat at least one of them. Depends on which England or France turns up on the day.

I've got a feeling this will be the tournament where a few new Irish stars will emerge. One of Moore, McGrath, O'Donnell, Murphy, Marshall or even Copeland could turn out to be a massive plus dependent on opportunities as a result of form or injury.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                        Wash your mouth out Balla, the reason the Welsh regions are crap is because they keep getting a hiding off of the Irish teams in the pro 12, if they were playing against their 'traditional' opponents in England they would win the super duper champions cup every year for ever.

To be sensible, are they lucky with injuries, or is it organisational?
                        There's a lot of talk of Spala and fitness levels, but you have to look at their squad and think they've been very fortunate.

The only long term absence I can remember (Warburton) came in the only position on the park where they have two first class options. When Lydiate was out in the autumn Warburton could switch across.

Don't know if they just look after themselves well, but when I look at our annual butcher's bill it seems they're blessed.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Frogs always do well after a Lions tour. Despite their coach they could surprise people
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

It irritates me how the long-running cliche about France ("they've got the talent, it all depends on the mentality") runs so true.

I hope they play well because at their best they play rugby which is breathtaking to watch and I'd rather see high quality rugby and the result be a toss-up than see a woeful French team capitulate to everyone. At their best (rare, I know) I think they're pretty much the only team (perhaps SA) who could actually beat NZ at the moment.

Comment

Problem is due to the way the top14 has gone as well as a string of poor international coaches the french have forgotten how to play the "french way"
                              The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                              - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                                Problem is due to the way the top14 has gone as well as a string of poor international coaches the french have forgotten how to play the "french way"
                                France haven't played with a sense of joie de vivre for years. They are nearly as regimented as the Orcs now.

Comment

Working...
                                X