Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What we've learnt from AI's

Well after 3 totally different games what has been learnt -

When the players are properly motivated they can match the best.
    We have the ability to play ball in hand rugby and trouble the best.
    We've got more depth than we thought
    If we play like we did today we can beat anyone in the NH.
    If we're not properly motivated we can be atrocious.
    We need more impact from the bench going forward (imagine having Henderson/Ferris etc coming off the bench)

CM is the best Irish scrumhalf of all time. Darcy is still the best 12 we have. SOB could be our greatest ever 7 if he keeps going at this rate. POC/POM/SOB/Heaslip on their day can match any 5/6/7/8 in world rugby. R Kearney if he keeps producing like today will be back as the best fullback in the NH.

Lets hope guys like Kilcoyne, Sherry, Ryan, Henderson, O'Donnell, JJ, Marshall, Earls, Zebo, Gilroy play well enough over the next 3 months to really pressure the existing squad from today into keeping their places.

"When the players are properly motivated they can match the best."
    "If we're not properly motivated we can be atrocious."

There are a lot of more sophisticated reasons for how the team performs but for me, it almost boils down to this with this Irish team. I've never bought the, 'these guys are great H-Cup player but cannot transfer to INTL level'. They can and every now and again they prove it with performance like that but they are not capable of playing effectively when they are dispassionate. They need to be focussed.

If you watched that game today and picked a composite team, you've had at least half a dozen Irish players in it ( Healy, Best/Cronin, O'Brien, Murray, Heaslip (dare I say it), Kearney snr and that shows the quality we have. The coaching team need to work on the mental focus of this team. I watched the France v Ukraine soccer match last week and France simply blew Ukraine away at the SdF after being absolute muck 7 days earlier in Kiev. Deschamps had only one simple phrase in the end to describe what had changed. He said 'it's all in the head'. And that for me, describes where Ireland are at. If they are focussed, they can beat most if not all teams, but are extremely prone to switching ff.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

The main thing we learned, imo, was that endless online rows about selection are a massive waste of time.

The performance gap with the same line up suggests it's a secondary issue.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork View Post
        "When the players are properly motivated they can match the best."
        "If we're not properly motivated we can be atrocious."

There are a lot of more sophisticated reasons for how the team performs but for me, it almost boils down to this with this Irish team. I've never bought the, 'these guys are great H-Cup player but cannot transfer to INTL level'. They can and every now and again they prove it with performance like that but they are not capable of playing effectively when they are dispassionate.

If you watched that game today and picked a composite team, you had have had at least half a dozen Irish players in it ( Healy, Best/Cronin, O'Brien, Murray, Heaslip (dare I say it), Kearney snr and that shows the quality we have. The coaching team need to work on the mental focus of this team. I watched the France v Ukraine soccer match last week and France simply blew Ukraine away at the SdF after being absolute muck 7 days earlier in Kiev. Deschamps had only one simple in the end to describe what had changed. He said 'it's all in the head'. And that for me, describes where Ireland are at. If they are focussed, they can beat most if not all teams, but are extremely prone to switching ff.
        JS picked the right team.
        I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

We can produce great one off performances every now and again but not in a consistent manner.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
            We can produce great one off performances every now and again but not in a consistent manner.
            They'll make a complete balls of one or two 6Nations games in the spring, like they always do.

Consistency is what makes following Ireland bad for your heart.
            I am the million man.

Comment

People criticising the selection of D'arcy over Marshall should hang their heads in shame and retire from commenting on rugby.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                This needs to be adressed by Schmidt & co. It proves we are capable of playing to that level. We seem to need that being written off, being heavily criticized to bring it out of us. Obviously, the problem is, when you produce a performance like that, all is rosy in the garden and concentration levels dip again and performance levels nosedive with this team. Obviously the management can't rely on incendary articles being written about them or the oposition writing them off for every match so they have got to create that internally. Competition for places?
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
                  People criticising the selection of D'arcy over Marshall should hang their heads in shame and retire from commenting on rugby.
                  Why? Marshall is still the futiure and was unfairly dropped, nothing changes on that front
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    They'll make a complete balls of one or two 6Nations games in the spring, like they always do.

Consistency is what makes following Ireland bad for your heart.
                    I'd have more faith in JS to improve that. thats the most accurate performance I've ever seen from an Irish rugby side versus NZ.

He'll demand it against the scotland's and italy's.
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Nothing I think we haven't learnt about this bunch of players before. The pattern has remained, and we won't really know much more about this new regime until next September.

Whatever structures and improvements in pattern Joe brings in, it has to be hung off a culture of playing at manic intensity in every single game. That has to be starting point and core element of every Irish performance and mustn't be forgotten.

We need to invest a lot of effort into the few young Out Halfs around and see if they have the ability to control top level international games. Because we lack one at present.
                      "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                        Why? Marshall is still the futiure and was unfairly dropped, nothing changes on that front
                        He was never ahead of D'arcy to be dropped, he was given a chance in a game of lesser importance and was integral in one of the poorest defensive displays from our backs ever seen. Whether he's the future or not remains to be seen, rugby is played in the present and that is unqeustionably D'arcy who continues to be a key player and at the centre of every big performance we have had in the last few years.
                        It's staggering if you look back at performances in the past 3 years and almost all the horror shows have the constant of no D'arcy in the team.

Comment

He had a very, very good game today but he has been consistently poor for Ireland since Mike Phillips ran over him in 2011.

It'll be interesting to see what Joe does about the 6N. Does he trust Marshall or try get one last hurrah with Dorse and Drico?

Consistently, as I said in another post, is what I would most like to see. We had rousing one off's under Kidney as well but failed to put in anything resembling consistency. If we can play at 75% if that level consistently in the 6N we'd really push for another Championship or even another Slam.

Comment

A year ago we hammered Argentina with a spot on performance. What did it tell us about the 6N? Sweet FA
                            My computer thinks I'm gay
                            What's the difference anyway
                            When all the people do all day
                            Is stare into a phone

Comment

It's staggering if you look back at performances in the past 3 years and almost all the horror shows have the constant of no D'arcy in the team.
                              He's been there for a few horror shows as well. Look he had a good game today, no need to rub people's noses in it. He still doesn't really give us go forward (which Marshall is capable of doing better) but the D'Arcy of the last season or so has been a rock in defence. A couple of seasons ago, he was known for missing first up tackles (we'd have beaten a poor French side only for Rougerie ran right through him) He's sorted that part of his game out at least that there is a debate between a player (Marshall) who gives us more going forward versus a player (d'Arcy) probably the more solid defender at this time. To lay everything at the door of Marshall v Oz is very unfair, the pack were manshamed last week 1 - 8, today they were magnificent.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X