Gordon D'arcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redherring View Post
    I think if a back row possesses the skill set and pace of a centre at a young age the chances are he'd be converted. POM, TOD, SOB and Ferris have good pace as BR's but to me lack the agility of a natural back.
    Agility is a good word. It's the change of direction, the step etc that allows you to hit a space rather than flat out pace, which a lot of good centres don't have huge amounts of.

I'd agree too that if there were a 6'3 15 stone guy who could play there, he'd be played there first. We produce so few.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
      The back row query was a genuine question to try an stimulate discussion. For me balance is the key in the centre and the BOD D'arcy partnership is unusual in that they are both quite similar players. But BOD also worked well with Maggs and Henderson. Isn't there a lad up at Leinster who they are tying to convert from back row to centre, is that stupid as well?
      Jordan Coughlan. Was Joe's plan to make him into a 12 (he's been talking about in future all centres will be massive for a few years now) but he hasn't made any progression under Matt O'Connor. There's Harrison Brewer who's made a similar conversion at Terenure College and will get at least a sub-academy spot next year. Richie Vernon at Glasgow seems to have made the conversion very quickly, but I think in general if you have the skills to play centre then you'll be identified at academy level. Vernon's success is probably more to do with the fact nobody ever noticed he was a centre playing on the flank.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
        Jordan Coughlan. Was Joe's plan to make him into a 12 (he's been talking about in future all centres will be massive for a few years now) but he hasn't made any progression under Matt O'Connor. There's Harrison Brewer who's made a similar conversion at Terenure College and will get at least a sub-academy spot next year. Richie Vernon at Glasgow seems to have made the conversion very quickly, but I think in general if you have the skills to play centre then you'll be identified at academy level. Vernon's success is probably more to do with the fact nobody ever noticed he was a centre playing on the flank.
        Maybe it'll be the other way round ie you don't make it at centre, because of hands, or speed, or agility, then you have a go at back row.

Course if you fail there you can always be a hooker :)
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
          Maybe it'll be the other way round ie you don't make it at centre, because of hands, or speed, or agility, then you have a go at back row.

Course if you fail there you can always be a hooker :)
          With the proliferation of massive centres, you might begin to see more guys shift to the back row in future.

Comment

Working...
          X