Gordon D'arcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
    As any fule kno, it ar, "as any fule kno" hem hem chiz.
    An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas, má is ea do thoil é?

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
      Darcy has been a great servant if Irish rugby and in many respects under rated.
      It's incredible how underrated he is despite having achieved so much.

- 3 Heinekens
      - 3 Celtic Leagues
      - 1 Amlin
      - 2 Six Nations + Grand Slam + 4 triple crowns
      - 2 Lions Tours
      - IRB Player of the Year nominee
      - Breaks the record for European Cup appearances next season (or possibly with a final appearance)

He's the quintessential big game player in Irish rugby, liable to be poor against crap teams and the best player on the pitch against world beaters. His performance against Australia in the RWC 2011 stood out to me as he had been in shaky form all season up to then and suddenly out of nowhere a massive performance when we really needed it. Twice against NZ in the middle test in 2012 and in 2013 he was the best player on the pitch both times. I'll especially miss the brick wall himself and BOD made our defensive line, the difference with and without them in terms of defence is astronomical as the stats show.
      I suppose the great secret in Irish rugby is how much of what BOD is praised for is down to how D'arcy allows him to excel, Brian was always a very different player without him. Especially in the later years, even the french are copping on to that.
      http://www.thescore.ie/france-papers...61835-Mar2014/

Comment

Gordon D'arcy

He's under-rated because there's a consistent comparison against which he falls short - his own best form. He produced a 6 nations season to rival most of BODs when he broke through, and then became a bit of a hod carrier for years. That's what's disappointed most people for a while I think - the suspicion that there's a more creative and dynamic player there than we see most of the time.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I think he had a great six nations. He is hugely important defensively; most teams got no joy attacking the 10/12 channel.

Therein lies the crux for me though. Are we completely going away from the notion of centres as offensive players? It is a given that they need a solid defense but what about scoring the odd try ... Hell even making the odd line break?
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
            I think he had a great six nations. He is hugely important defensively; most teams got no joy attacking the 10/12 channel.

Therein lies the crux for me though. Are we completely going away from the notion of centres as offensive players? It is a given that they need a solid defense but what about scoring the odd try ... Hell even making the odd line break?

I think when you look at the breaks that Fofana or even Marshall make in that channel it questions the assumption we've held for years that it's about massive carriers in heavy traffic. There clearly is space there, even if it's on second or third phase.

D'Arcy was, as he's often been, the best 12 in the tournament. It's just that occasionally you see a flash of those feet and a bit of a break and you wonder what might have been if we hadn't yoked him to a plough for the last ten years.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by tickettout
              Jamie Roberts gave an exhibition of getting front foot ball in a poor Wales side this championship.
              Darcy, while playing well, was well below his level.

The centre is a place for monsters these days.
              The next partnership could potentially be looking at having to defend against Bastareaud, Tuilagi, Roberts, Burrell & Davies etc. Guys ranging between 16-18 stone

The metres we gave up in the centre channel against the raw power of Basta on Saturday was frightening.
              Agreed. I think it is a bit of a shame though when you are using pseudo flankers as battering rams in the centre.

Oh for a bit of genius, a sidestep and a bit of speed up the middle ...
              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                Agreed. I think it is a bit of a shame though when you are using pseudo flankers as battering rams in the centre.

Oh for a bit of genius, a sidestep and a bit of speed up the middle ...
                Should Ireland be looking to convert one of the many 6/8s? Talk on the Munster centre thread of Stander, know he is a project player but what about Young Buckley who is coming through?

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                  Should Ireland be looking to convert one of the many 6/8s? Talk on the Munster centre thread of Stander, know he is a project player but what about Young Buckley who is coming through?
                  stop with the stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayern View Post
                    stop with the stupidity.
                    Stop with the needless abuse of other forum users.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

In case anyone is unsure what number he wears :D

Ireland vs South Africa 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140319_095131-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2479061

Comment

Originally posted by Bayern View Post
                        stop with the stupidity.
                        Pathetic.

Comment

I think we don't necessarily need to push players out into the backs on the basis that they 'could' be the next Roberts, Bastareau etc. There is a skill level to playing in the centre that young Irish forwards, even talented ones that will make U-18's/U-20's will not necessarily possess. Remember Roberts started off life as an 85kg winger/fullback, he wasn't always a monster.

I would also remind people that Fofana isn't a particularly 'huge' player but he hits and carries well above his weight might suggest. D'Arcy for being a relatively small man also makes signficant yardage in contact well though not the explosive kind you see from Roberts for example. The example of a plough-horse is not inaccurate either for whilst it is not necessarily the bash over someone putting them on their arse that punters love the consistency with which D'Arcy has done it for ten years leaves the likes of Roberts and Bastareau in the shade IMO.

Comment

The back row query was a genuine question to try an stimulate discussion. For me balance is the key in the centre and the BOD D'arcy partnership is unusual in that they are both quite similar players. But BOD also worked well with Maggs and Henderson. Isn't there a lad up at Leinster who they are tying to convert from back row to centre, is that stupid as well?

Comment

The back row query was a genuine question to try an stimulate discussion. For me balance is the key in the centre and the BOD D'arcy partnership is unusual in that they are both quite similar players. But BOD also worked well with Maggs and Henderson. Isn't there a lad up at Leinster who they are tying to convert from back row to centre, is that stupid as well?
                              You need quite a specific skill set as a centre though. As a pro level 12, you should be able to throw a miss one off either hand and be guaranteed to stand up any front five forward and do them given a bit of space in a one on one.

Not all back rows would have the hands or the feet for the job. Most of them are carrying size that isn't really needed at 12, and sacrificing acceleration as a result. A twelve needs a really strong burst over 10-15 that a lot of back rows would lack.

You also need a different type of game intelligence as well i think. The ability to see and shape space, and put other people into it (or use it yourself). Rapid decision making in a role where contact and a good recycle goes from being a solid option for a forward to a potentially lost opportunity for a back.

But it's the hands more than anything I think. There's no margin for error in front of top level defences any more.

Comment

I think if a back row possesses the skill set and pace of a centre at a young age the chances are he'd be converted. POM, TOD, SOB and Ferris have good pace as BR's but to me lack the agility of a natural back.
                                He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X