No announcement yet.

Gordon D'arcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know why both D'Arcy and O'Driscoll attempted to tackle Bastereaud high in that first line-break. Granted, the plan was for the choke tackle and to hold people up, but a non-offloading wrecking ball should have been chopped down every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
      It doesn't matter what he's doing now, the fact is he played a poor game in 2011 and must be punished for it.
      Ehh no, he was piss poor v France, gave away turnovers v England, hasn't scored a try for Ireland since the dark ages, offers nothing going forward, prone to mental and handling foibles in pressure games and misses too many tackles so that defences are now actively targeting him to good effect.... for THEM!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
        Ehh no, he was piss poor v France, gave away turnovers v England, hasn't scored a try for Ireland since the dark ages, offers nothing going forward, prone to mental and handling foibles in pressure games and misses too many tackles so that defences are now actively targeting him to good effect.... for THEM!!
        How many of Frances tries were scored down the Irish 12 channel last weekend?

Comment

Oh for God's sake Darcy had been piss poor at international level for about 5 years now, 1 reasonably good game in the AI's does absolutely nothing to change that either, except highlight what Ireland have been lacking there for years now I.e consistent Intl level centre play. He's just simply too weak imho.

I would be interested to see his stats for the past 5 years at international level, you know line breaks made, tries scored (any!?), assists(any at all!?), tackles made & missed, turnovers won & conceded, etc, etc. I'm betting he has the worst stats of any international centre regularly picked for any top 6 international side. Tell me when he last made a clean line break? (2007 at a guess), an offload to someone to score perhaps? a pass to someone to score perhaps? Score a try himself maybe ? No :(, a try saving tackle perhaps?? :(((, well ok we just settled for a centre at international level who broke the gain line, only v occasionally mind and made only most of his tackles.

Let's face it, he's now a very poor international centre, in fact he hasn't been much good at that demanding level since his 2007, 2006 & 2004 seasons, and that's a long time ago, too long!!

Versus France, cos Marshall was injured and Ireland seriously lack quality 12s otherwise, you'd have to have selected him, but that would be in the knowledge that he offers nothing going forward, lacks gas, football and nerve and can be a defensive liability. Is that enough for you!? Cos its not for me, nor for Ireland imho. Time for change...
          Think you're being a little harsh there Daithi.

D'Arcy has his limitations and I've expounded on them a few times on here. But he remains capable of pulling out an outstanding performance every once in a while and the truth is that once Marshall got himself concussed we didn't have any other serious options. JS was faced with the options of blooding a complete newbie or persevering with D'Arcy, who we know can do a job most games.

Now I would be the first to say that from this point on I think Marshall should be regarded as the default first choice, as he offers more going forward and is much younger (and D'Arcy, while arguably more solid in defence, is far from an impenetrable wall). I would also say that Schmidt's press conferences seem to suggest D'Arcy figures more centrally in his ongoing plans than he would in mine. But while I don't think he's excelled in this championship, he's offered a consistent level of performance and has rarely been found out (Bastareaud aside).

Hopefully over the Summer tour and the AIs, other options will start to emerge but the reality is that 12 was a two horse race this season and once Marshall crocked himself it was only going to go one way.

Comment

Originally posted by CorcĂ­och View Post
            How many of Frances tries were scored down the Irish 12 channel last weekend?
            How many line breaks conceded there? How many hard yards conceded? Now how many gained!? The ledger would be covered in red ink for their 12 v our 12 imho, similarly v England's 12, and god knows he's no rock star ... he's not good enough imho, the evidence has been clearly visible in nearly every top 6Ns, top SH Test or RWC game for 5 years now!?
            Last edited by Daithi; 18-March-2014, 20:38.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

How many line breaks conceded there? How many hard yards conceded? Now how many gained!? The ledger would be covered in red ink for their 12 v our 12 imho, similarly v England, ... he's not good enough imho, the evidence has been clearly visible in nearly every top 6Ns, Test or RWC game for 5 years now!?
              I can only recall one tbh . . .that stemmed as much from an error in our drift as anything else.

But if he was a 'defensive liability' as you said, and his channel was targeted then surely they could have run down the 12 channel all day for sport.

They didn't in fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
                It doesn't matter what he's doing now, the fact is he played a poor game in 2011 and must be punished for it.
                Only mediocre performances in the autumn of 2013 are eligible for punishment, as any fule noes.
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Works his hole off and never gives in even when it's going badly for him.

He's a relic of a different size in the centre. Doesn't stop him felling giants mostly. Marshall is the successor but Darce put in a physical shift already since Christmas and he's no spring chicken.
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    Works his hole off and never gives in even when it's going badly for him.

He's a relic of a different size in the centre. Doesn't stop him felling giants mostly. Marshall is the successor but Darce put in a physical shift already since Christmas and he's no spring chicken.
                    Question is whether marshall can stay fit
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Apart from the fellow Crescent educated fella and that farming tank, Darcy is the Leinster player I've most time for.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                        Question is whether marshall can stay fit
                        We gotta find someone for 12 post Darcy and Luke is front runner right now.

If Reid can continue his trajectory we might have options in years to come
                        I am the million man.

Comment

I don't think Luke can . .there have been far too many head injuries in far too short a space of time.

I have no other reservations about him . .none.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            We gotta find someone for 12 post Darcy and Luke is front runner right now.

If Reid can continue his trajectory we might have options in years to come
                            Strangely I think there's more optimism about Reid among Munster fans than among Leinster fans. Hopefully we can both agree he's not a 10.

Comment

Darcy has been a great servant if Irish rugby and in many respects under rated.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                                Only mediocre performances in the autumn of 2013 are eligible for punishment, as any fule noes.
                                As any fule kno, it ar, "as any fule kno" hem hem chiz.
                                Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Working...
                                X