Gordon D'arcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
    Sewa and Balla in full agreement. And I agree with both. There must be some sort of cosmic alignment going on somewhere.
    Antichrist currently being birthed in Kildimo.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rug...rand-Slam.html

Sure, its not a priority, think you should take your tablets and go have a little lie down
      With the 2015 WC in England its easy enough to figure out what England's priority is.

But I'm sure they'd like to win the 2015 GS going into the WC.

Both goals being part of each other
      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
        Antichrist currently being birthed in Kildimo.
        That happened a long, long time ago Click image for larger version

Name:	evilgrin0030.gif
Views:	1
Size:	767 Bytes
ID:	2478331
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
          I think it's telling that D'arcy described Sunday as his career low and not losing a game in similar circumstances against France in 2007 for what would have been his first six nations and grand slam win.
          Beating the best team in the world for the first time is not a mutually exclusive achievement to broader Irish success. The reality is we'll never be serious contenders on the world stage until we can do this. Not looking beyond at the six nations at the bigger picture is even more limited ambition than your narrow perception of perceived short sightedness among those who place a high value on beating NZ. The Six Nations is after all a competition that France and England have traditionally viewed as a stepping stone tournament to their ultimate ambition of conquering the SH trio.
          The last time the wc was won by the side that beat nz was 1995 (obviously that stat has a confusing relationship with the most recent tournament). A one-off victory against a southern hemisphere power is no indication of tournament success - as we ably demonstrated in 2011. For my money a far better indicator of success and progression as a team would have been two competent, competitive displays on successive weeks, suggesting that we might be capable of taking it to eng/fra/wales in quick succession, or winning a significant pool game followed by a quarter final. To put it another way - the eng victories over the tri-nations in 2002-3 weren't significant because they beat their opponents. They were significant because their success was sustained - they beat all of them, in successive weeks. Like a dress rehearsal for the knockouts of the wc.

Don't get me wrong, a win against nz would have been incredible. But like victory over france/aus in the early 2000s, in isolation it would have told us damn all about our prospects of success on the world stage.

Comment

The beard of awesomeness is gone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395012642511.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2479045
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

i hope they found a suitable habitat for any nesting birds
              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

What a shame. That beard was awesome
                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                  What a shame. That beard was awesome
                  I'm going to stop supporting Ireland now.

Comment

I thought it was instructive that France targeted Darcy so much & so successfully v Ireland in Paris. Bastareaud just ran straight & hard at Darcy's defensive channel right from the off, as did Fickou, and to great effect. I think they got two clean line breaks in the first 20 minutes alone, as well as loads of leg driving mails & ruck s that put France well over the gain line, with hot go forward ball for the next wave, how bad for them hey!? Granted Bastareaud is bloody difficult to nail, but this was & is just way too easy at this l level. I think Darcy is now a major liability v top sides imho.

I counted 5-6 clear mistakes from Darcy in the first 20 minutes, two slips, 1 dropped ball, 1 missed pass and 2-3 shocking missed tackles. Every time he got on the ball in the match he looked nervous and ill at ease. He didn't look much better defending either for that matter, he just looked out of it tbh. Against England he started and finished the game coughing up a turnover, that's just too damn weak and way too exploitable by top sides. And they have been successfully targeting him for some time unfortunately.

Look I think he seems like a decent bloke, and he has been a very good player for Ireland over his career for sure, but he's been poor for many years now at this level, remember the WC quarter final v Wales anyone!? Absolutely abysmal in defence & attack that day. Now he's a target for any side even nearly able to have a pop at Ireland. That's simply not good enough, sorry. High time for change!!
                    Last edited by Daithi; 18-March-2014, 20:08.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

So who exactly should have played 12 versus France?

Comment

Such as who Daithi? We don't exactly have 6'4 & 17 stone centres ready for test rugby waiting in the background.

Marking those two on saturday was a thankless task and put Johnny Sexton on a backboard. Its no easy feat to fell Bastareaud.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

So the new Zealand game is many years ago now? My doesn't time fly in the munsterfans alternate universe.

Ps darcy didn't have his best game on Saturday although I believe he was carrying a knock.
                          The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                          - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                            So the new Zealand game is many years ago now? My doesn't time fly in the munsterfans alternate universe.

Ps darcy didn't have his best game on Saturday although I believe he was carrying a knock.
                            Trimble was nowhere man last autumn, NZ game is so last year,
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

It doesn't matter what he's doing now, the fact is he played a poor game in 2011 and must be punished for it.

Comment

Oh for God's sake Darcy had been piss poor at international level for about 5 years now, 1 reasonably good game in the AI's does absolutely nothing to change that either, except highlight what Ireland have been lacking there for years now I.e consistent Intl level centre play. He's just simply too weak imho.

I would be interested to see his stats for the past 5 years at international level, you know line breaks made, tries scored (any!?), assists(any at all!?), tackles made & missed, turnovers won & conceded, etc, etc. I'm betting he has the worst stats of any international centre regularly picked for any top 6 international side. Tell me when he last made a clean line break? (2007 at a guess), an offload to someone to score perhaps? a pass to someone to score perhaps? Score a try himself maybe ? No :(, a try saving tackle perhaps?? :(((, well ok we just settled for a centre at international level who broke the gain line, only v occasionally mind and made only most of his tackles.

Let's face it, he's now a very poor international centre, in fact he hasn't been much good at that demanding level since his 2007, 2006 & 2004 seasons, and that's a long time ago, too long!!

Versus France, cos Marshall was injured and Ireland seriously lack quality 12s otherwise, you'd have to have selected him, but that would be in the knowledge that he offers nothing going forward, lacks gas, football and nerve and can be a defensive liability. Is that enough for you!? Cos its not for me, nor for Ireland imho. Time for change...
                                Last edited by Daithi; 18-March-2014, 20:05.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Working...
                                X