Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Nucifora is the new IRFU High Performance Unit Manager

According to Australian press.

Interesting career. Coached Brumbies in the past, lost his job last year as assistant to Robbie Deans, but seems to have been instrumental in bringing Tony McGahan into the Wallabies coaching ticket.

Also, Joe Schmidt was his assistant coach at the Auckland Blues.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...1226762889643#

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Why do most of the jobs seem to be going to non Irish folk?

Do we not have indigenous candidates of equal merit? Or do we give more kudos to someone from other shores?

It's nothing personal against David and I wish him all the best, it's just a trend that seems to exist in our psyche.

Comment

Indeed, we are going backwards as a rugby nation with all these foreign bluffers
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

jackman has one of the best defencive records in the french super 14,we could have done with him last sat..faraway hills are always greener..

Comment

Nucifora was massively rated a few years ago, but I've had the impression his reputation has waned a bit.

The challenge is that we're clearly not producing coaches. O'Sullivan and Bradley are busted flushes, Kidney is done, Foley is still learning his trade.

The step from AIL to provincial coaching doesn't seem to exist, so you wonder where they're going to come from.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
            Nucifora was massively rated a few years ago, but I've had the impression his reputation has waned a bit.

The challenge is that we're clearly not producing coaches. O'Sullivan and Bradley are busted flushes, Kidney is done, Foley is still learning his trade.

The step from AIL to provincial coaching doesn't seem to exist, so you wonder where they're going to come from.
            step-up is too big from AIL.

Not sure we know the meaning of high performance in this country.
            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post

We do,its called lucozade.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post

Too big to senior roles, but we don't seem to be using it as a supply line for the development of domestic coaches. We have academies for players, but I don't see the same process in place for developing coaching standards.

I think it's quite striking that no one has made the step from being head coach of an AIL side to a unit coach or whatever with the provinces. We've lost plenty of players early to injury, for instance, and a number have retired over the last few years but coaching doesn't seem to be an attractive offer for them.

If you look at the English model (and I'm not sure it's hugely successful), the likes of Mick O'Driscoll, David Wallace, Flannery, Leamy, Quinlan et al would be somewhere in the structure. Paul Burke is the backs coach with Tigers, Geordan Murphy has gone straight into an assistant coaching role, Catt is making that step etc.

Foley aside, we don't seem to have a production line in place at all.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Balla I can read between the lines on this one. Look I know your upset they didn't call you,but you have to move on

Comment

High Performance Manager? Who the fup is managing the Poor Performance, Embarassing Performance and the non-Performance? Could be a number of full-time roles to fill if last weekend is repeated.

I'd be very interested in learning whether Jo S has approved this role or if this is a Committee appointment. Do we have a big enough playing pool to merit a HPM in addition to the National Coach and all his lieutenants? I'm not sure we do.

Good luck to the bloke.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnat View Post
                      Balla I can read between the lines on this one. Look I know your upset they didn't call you,but you have to move on
                      I'm keeping myself open for the "Even Higher Performance Director" role. No point casting pearls before swine

Comment

Too big to senior roles, but we don't seem to be using it as a supply line for the development of domestic coaches. We have academies for players, but I don't see the same process in place for developing coaching standards.

I think it's quite striking that no one has made the step from being head coach of an AIL side to a unit coach or whatever with the provinces. We've lost plenty of players early to injury, for instance, and a number have retired over the last few years but coaching doesn't seem to be an attractive offer for them.

If you look at the English model (and I'm not sure it's hugely successful), the likes of Mick O'Driscoll, David Wallace, Flannery, Leamy, Quinlan et al would be somewhere in the structure. Paul Burke is the backs coach with Tigers, Geordan Murphy has gone straight into an assistant coaching role, Catt is making that step etc.

I can't speak for the rest of the province's but for Ulster in the last 8-10 years we have brought through-McCall, Clarke, Davidson, Longwell, Malone, Bell, Doak and of course McLaughlin into the coaching staff near enough straight from the playing/AIL roster. Some have been bigger successes than others-Longell was a complete flop at his job and wa shuffled out the door to SINI but the rest have done alright.

The problem, similar to the playing pool, is that there is a big jump between AIL and into the Pro set-up. The pro coaches e.g Clarke and Doak look after the Ravens etc and other old players get cushy jobs within the Academy system. Some club coaches are teachers and thus are probably happy enough supplementing their income at whatever club is paying them...do they really have higher aspirations especially having seen what happened with McLaughlin? Some club coaches are also involved within the age-grade systems but this is largely voluntary and takes up a serious amount of time as well, often out 4 nights a week and then on a friday for provincial games and a saturday for the club etc.

The only real route, especially if you are not an ex-pro, is to make a good fist of things at AIL and then hope to get involved in a Championship side as a backs/forwards coach and then try go for the main gig. After that maybe try and shunt into a lower AP/Rabo team and take it from there.

One thing is for sure is that becoming an elite coach is seriously tough over going for anyone, doubly so if you didn't play pro rugga nowadays.

Comment

While there hasnt been a river of movement, there has been some:

Ian Costello went from DOR at Bohs to Munster A coach/skills coach to the sr side.
                          MOD is froward coach at Con currently.
                          Denis Leamy was(is) forwards coach at the Cookies/ has been helping out with the Munster academy coaching/is assistant coach to the u-20's. Mossy Lawlor is also the backs coach for them. The u-20 head coach Greg Oliver previously was in charge at Garryowen and back then double jobbed training the young munster 9's. Colm McMahon (ex-Shannon also part of that development coaching team
                          Peter Malone went from Bruff forwards coach to holding a few roles and ended up as head of the Munster academy.

Prob a few others but living in exile dont see much AIL anymore so cant be sure who's invovled where!
                          Last edited by LLCOOLJ14; 19th-November-2013, 14:57.
                          Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ14 View Post
                            While there hasnt been a river of movement, there has been some:

Ian Costello went from DOR at Bohs to Munster A coach/skills coach to the sr side.
                            MOD is froward coach at Con currently.
                            Denis Leamy was(is) forwards coach at the Cookies/ has been helping out with the Munster academy coaching/is assistant coach to the u-20's. Mossy Lawlor is also the backs coach for them. The u-20 head coach Greg Oliver previously was in charge at Garryowen and back then double jobbed training the young munster 9's. Colm McMahon (ex-Shannon also part of that development coaching team
                            Peter Malone went from Bruff forwards coach to holding a few roles and ended up as head of the Munster academy.

Prob a few others but living in exile dont see much AIL anymore so cant be sure who's invovled where!

So hopefully signs of life! Much like the player pipeline, we don't have that many coaching jobs to go around so influx from AIL will be vital. And it should be two way - the AIL will be a better production line for players if the IRFU is driving up the quality of coaching at that level, and bringing it into line with academy level coaching.

Comment

We're producing quite a lot of coaches with many cutting their teeth outside of Ireland:

- Bernard Jackson coaching at Grenoble
                              - Ronan O'Gara coaching at Racing Metro
                              - Mike Prendergast coaching at Grenoble
                              - Ian Costello coaching at Munster
                              - Jonny Bell coaching at Ulster
                              - Anthony Foley coaching at Munster
                              - Mark McCall Head Coach at Saracens
                              - Jeremy Davidson Head Coach Aurrilac
                              - Simon Easterby Head Coach Scarlets
                              - Neil Doak coaching at Ulster

We've had the likes of Eric Elwood, Brian McLaughlin and Declan Kidney coaching in high positions at home until recently. Now a new generation is cutting its teeth. And then you have David Humphreys doing a brilliant job behind the scenes in Ulster. He'd be a top lad to run the whole IRFU in time.

Lets see a few years down the line when guys like ROG and Jackman and Davidson return from France with experience. Maybe Jerry Flannery will be back having worked at Arsenal for years and brought new ideas back. Anthony Foley is more experienced - maybe in a head coach of Munster. Maybe the likes of O'Connell/O'Driscoll will add things too.

I think we're doing as well as any nation.

Ireland's coaching ticket 2017:

Director of Rugby: David Humphreys
                              Head Coach: Anthony Foley
                              Forwards Coach: Jeremy Davidson
                              Defence Coach: Bernard Jackman
                              Skills Coach: Ronan O'Gara
                              Strength & Conditioning: Jerry Flannery

We'll be fine!

Comment

Working...
                              X