South Africa vs Ireland battle in Pretoria 1998

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Africa vs Ireland battle in Pretoria 1998

If this is being offered as a template for the tactics to employ against NZ to keep the score respectable - it is perhaps totally unacceptable but perhaps absolutely necessary.
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Thank you Wolf. I'm going to dig up this video whenever I see people on this forum complaining about us filthy Saffers.
      "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude abides.
      "Forwards win matches. Backs decide by how much." - DK

Comment

Ha! That was a throw-back to a by gone era, very nostalgic. Couldn't get away with half of that now, if we did that on Saturday there'd be multiple yellow cards and another good few players geting cited for the upcoming HEC games.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero View Post
          Ha! That was a throw-back to a by gone era, very nostalgic. Couldn't get away with half of that now, if we did that on Saturday there'd be multiple yellow cards and another good few players geting cited for the upcoming HEC games.
          Paddy Johns playing the Fighting Irish part - brillianlty - looked like an audition for a re-make of 'The quiet man'.
          ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
          AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by stickman_sa View Post
            Thank you Wolf. I'm going to dig up this video whenever I see people on this forum complaining about us filthy Saffers.
            The first two incidents are [edit] JvdW throwing a full-blown kick at an Irish player's head, then that scut Dalton throwing a flying elbow and a flurry of dawks at Costello. Not that one objects hugely to the general principle, but Costello just tripped over him avoiding the easy stamp. He then, clear as day, gouges Costello with his left thumb into Costello's right eye on 0:36. Then more off the ball from JvdW, with Teichmann then taking up the baton.
            Last edited by Thomond78; 18th-November-2013, 13:02.
            Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
              The first two incidents are [edit] JvdW throwing a full-blown kick at an Irish player's head, then that scut Dalton throwing a flying elbow and a flurry of dawks at Costello. Not that one objects hugely to the general principle, but Costello just tripped over him avoiding the easy stamp. He then, clear as day, gouges Costello with his left thumb into Costello's right eye on 0:36. Then more off the ball from JvdW, with Teichmann then taking up the baton.
              One can quite easily forget just how much of a 'ferocious competitor' that Joost was in his hey-day. I think the Saffers are just as guilty but in 1998 we were poor enough when totally focussed on the task in hand...once we started going looking for the cheap shots we were stuffed. That's sort of why you have to admire the Saffers, for most other teams that sort of action would have been considering 'losing it' but for them it's just part and parcel of their style of play.

Comment

Needed reminding how much a dirtbag James Dalton was
                Makes Liam Williams look like Peter Stringer!
                I havent checked but ireland havent been back since?
                Was that the tour Ireland turned up at stadium for training and place was locked and no one around...waited around for hours onky grub supplied was a few cheese sambos
                Last edited by NotreDameRFC; 18th-November-2013, 13:37.
                "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

T78, not that I'm in the business of defending that thug Dalton, but just watch the replay again. Costello grabs Dalton in a full-blown head-lock, drags him around by the neck and then (IMO) clumsily misses his attempt to stand on him. Dalton should have got a straight red and ban for his retaliation no doubt, but Costello should have been sent packing as well. On the subject of head-locks, it looks like that's what Joost reacted to as well

I despair when the Boks go through their dirty phases and have no wish to defend that stuff. (Thankfully, Heyneke Meyer appears to be clearing up the rot that had set in again under PDivvy.) In this particular game, however, we received a fair deal more than we gave!
                  "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude abides.
                  "Forwards win matches. Backs decide by how much." - DK

Comment

Green 5 (Fulcher?) comes through, left arm over the top behind the arm, right arm under the chest. No headlock. JvdW slips him off - and rewards the affront of competing with a full-blown kick to the head. JvdW was a great player, and is a brave, brave man; but he, and his agterryer Andrews could be right dirty buggers, and let's not whitewash it.

Costello tackles high, but no head-lock, because he lets go.

And then Dalton decides this is a sensible reaction (see attachment).

If anyone reacted, it was Ireland, and Paddy Johns' patience in the face of that sort of ****e was spectacular.
                    Attached Files

Comment

James Small was another one with a short fuse.
                      "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                        James Small was another one with a short fuse.
                        First Springbok ever sent off, and not likely to feature on Chester Williams' Christmas card list.

Comment

First Springbok ever sent off, and not likely to feature on Chester Williams' Christmas card list.
                          Or John Bentleys'!!

Comment

Or John Bentleys'!!
                            Got the lions 97 boxset on amazon at the weekend- incredible viewing.

they were an extremely talented but very dirty SA Team.
                            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

I havent checked but ireland havent been back since?
                              2004. We went there on the back of the first triple crown since 85'. We were confident of a test win. Didn't happen. Think it was Jake White's first few months in charge.
                              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X