Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ewen McKenzie takes refereeing gripes to IRB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    For a contrary view, here's a detailed analysis of each and every scrum in the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYas0...zU&app=desktop

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by forkhandles View Post
      Neither George or Dudley Phillips can be too proud of their peformances last Saturday. The touchline call Phillips got wrong was a huge turning point. And once again Clancy proved his inability to referee the scrum properly. Still who would be a ref !
      most referees seem to come into the game with a pre conception of who to watch and who is better in areas like the scrum. Human nature and we see it in all sports, just watch how often benefit of the doubt (i.e. utter bull****) decisions favour the big football teams.
      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
        most referees seem to come into the game with a pre conception of who to watch and who is better in areas like the scrum. Human nature and we see it in all sports, just watch how often benefit of the doubt (i.e. utter bull****) decisions favour the big football teams.
        Spot on! As I mentioned in the Connacht v Saracens thread a while back!

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
          most referees seem to come into the game with a pre conception of who to watch and who is better in areas like the scrum. Human nature and we see it in all sports, just watch how often benefit of the doubt (i.e. utter bull****) decisions favour the big football teams.
          the refereeing in soccer is miles ahead of the garbage in our game. As soon as George clancy was named ref for the eng oz game I knew England would win. Maybe just a wild guess on my part, but whatever, in soccer if howard webb is nominated as the ref for man u v liverpool would you instantly put money on man u because of that?
          The refereeing is ruining the game. Fair play to Sir Clive for saying it as it was (is)
          So I walked as day was dawning
          Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
          Where we once watched the row boats landing
          By the broad majestic shannon

          Comment


            #20
            As an aside...Aussies could sort out they're own house by providing referees to IRB. Besides adopting Steve Walsh they havent had a test standard ref since Dickinson.
            "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Cougar Moon View Post
              the refereeing in soccer is miles ahead of the garbage in our game. As soon as George clancy was named ref for the eng oz game I knew England would win. Maybe just a wild guess on my part, but whatever, in soccer if howard webb is nominated as the ref for man u v liverpool would you instantly put money on man u because of that?
              The refereeing is ruining the game. Fair play to Sir Clive for saying it as it was (is)
              Of all the refs to pick. Yes I would think that Man U would win. You obviously haven't seen the meme's?

              Click image for larger version

Name:	frabz-You-no-your-****ed-when-im-the-ref-in-a-man-united-game-bb3605.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2478217

              Click image for larger version

Name:	d4b225bb-61a1-4bc4-b1f3-f3d550477417.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	2478218

              Click image for larger version

Name:	howard-web-vidic-manutd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	2478219
              Life is good

              Comment


                #22
                It could have been worse I could have picked the ref from yesterday's chelsea wba game. Liverpool would beat man u if they had webb giving every 50/50 the wrong way. In our game the ref too often decides who wins. ..even in the world cup final ffs. Rolland's faux pas cost wales the game last night and clancy should get a knighthood in the new year honours list. Seriously the refereeing is brutal and its ruining the game.
                So I walked as day was dawning
                Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
                Where we once watched the row boats landing
                By the broad majestic shannon

                Comment


                  #23
                  What is it with Aussies gurning to the powers that be about refereeing? Matt Williams was never done writing to the unions about refereeing performances when at Ulster.

                  It's easy to criticise referees, and Christ I do not like Clancy, but they are the guys getting out and doing it and without them we wouldn't have a game...and that goes for all referees at all levels and is why it pains me to see the abuse hurled at them. They are rarely perfect but, generally, they are doing their best.

                  That said at elite level they are paid performers so there is an increased level of responsibility on them to be more than just enthusiastic amateurs.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    If the proper protocol is followed, and followed through the IRB process, what is wrong with that? If we simply accept that Clancy has made some mistakes, and say nothing, what will happen? Absolutely nothing, and then the standard stagnates, and the problem continues. I am not for one second suggesting we follow the example of the round ball, although Richard Cockerill at Leicester tries his best ! IMO, if a proper protocol of questioning via the IRB is followed, I have no problem with it.
                    Cé go bhfuil an namhaid trampled underfoot mo thír, fhios ag an teanga d'aois na Breataine Bige aon Retreat. Evan James 1856

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Well said Owain, these guys cannot be beyond reproach. It is important though that it is done through the right channels.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                        As an aside...Aussies could sort out they're own house by providing referees to IRB. Besides adopting Steve Walsh they havent had a test standard ref since Dickinson.
                        Some countries would be better off not supplying any refs - France is a good example.
                        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Clancy is a joke of a ref - cant even get decisions right in an AIL game never mind an international. He rode the arse off the aussies in that match!
                          Stand up and fight

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Strangely I re-watched the Munster v New Zealand 2008 game yesterday & it really was gob-smacking as to how oblivious Poite & his assistants were to the vast majority of NZ ruck infringements. the unfortunate thing is that 5 years later he's still as bad as back then! He's just added scrum-ignorance to his list of areas of the game to be wrong about.
                            Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Owain View Post
                              If the proper protocol is followed, and followed through the IRB process, what is wrong with that? If we simply accept that Clancy has made some mistakes, and say nothing, what will happen? Absolutely nothing, and then the standard stagnates, and the problem continues. I am not for one second suggesting we follow the example of the round ball, although Richard Cockerill at Leicester tries his best ! IMO, if a proper protocol of questioning via the IRB is followed, I have no problem with it.
                              what mistakes did clancy exactly make? its clear by a mile that england had the better scrum! it was hardly a contest in that area and while i generally disagree with every ref about one or two dodgy calls a match bar Nigel Owens and Allain Rolland there is no evidence to suggest Clancy made wholesale errors in that match. Anti George Clancy crap again me thinks..
                              "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Owain View Post
                                If the proper protocol is followed, and followed through the IRB process, what is wrong with that? If we simply accept that Clancy has made some mistakes, and say nothing, what will happen? Absolutely nothing, and then the standard stagnates, and the problem continues. I am not for one second suggesting we follow the example of the round ball, although Richard Cockerill at Leicester tries his best ! IMO, if a proper protocol of questioning via the IRB is followed, I have no problem with it.
                                I don't disagree but it's the use of the media in this instance that irks me. Yes referee's can make mistakes, yes they can have a bearing on the outcome of a match and undoubtedly they should be held to account but it ought to be done within the, confidential, confines of those in charge i.e. the IRB etc.

                                I didn't watch the whole match but I got the impression that there were one or two major calls that Clancy and his officials got wrong for example the 'carried back in' to the '22 that was never carried back in and correctly cleared. Those undoubtedly impacted the game and it's outcome but with regards to the scrum the Aussie's have managed to get a reputation as being sh1te scrummagers and will have to ride that out in the short term until they can find a way around that. It is also interesting that the Aussie's own rugby show breaking down the scrum performance really doesn't give too much weight to McKenzie's claims.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X