Congrats and Best Wishes to a Retiring Irish Star

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats and Best Wishes to a Retiring Irish Star

Alain Rolland is to retire at the end of this season.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...ason-1.1539490

He is one of the best referees in the world and has represented Ireland like no other. I wish him all the best in his retired life and have to say I will actually miss him. And there aren't many refs I can say that about.
    I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

I bet the Welsh still wont be able to let go . . . .

Comment

Consistently excellent referee, not scared to make a decision, took zero sh't. People who don't like his reffing don't understand the game. And he was right to send off Warburton, no ifs buts or maybes.

Comment

Personally think he is the best around. Wish him every happiness in retirement
        Con Artist

Comment

Best of luck to him. A good referee, hopefully the powers that be make use of his experience and knowledge in an effort to improve the standard of refereeing .
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Best of luck to him but to those who think he was a great ref I simply can't agree.
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Best of luck to him. I didn't always agree with his decisions (who does with any referee) but he was confident, brave, consistent and you can't ask for more than that IMHO. Oh, and he was right to send Warburton off
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Thing is whilst you would not agree with him from time to time you never got the feeling he was biased . I thought he was a super ref and would echo McCloud hopefully the powers that be use his experience would be so much better in the corridors of power than Kiwi Paddy.

And yes he was right re Warburton
                I am one of the 5 clowns woo hoo

Comment

I think the last year or so he hasn't been up to his usual high standard but there is no doubt that previous to that he was (IMO) the best ref in the world, and we were all the poorer for not being able to have him ref our international matches.

5 things you might not know about AR linkage
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Good guy, met him a few times, not a bad scrum half either.
                    "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Best of luck to him. Yes, there did seem to be a bit less consistency/clarity to some of his performances last year, but nevertheless I've thought for a long time that he was one of the best around (compare him to the likes of Poite, Berdos, Jones et al before dissing him) and as with his almost-namesake and compatriot Alan Lewis, he will be a much-missed character of the game in this household.
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Best of Luck to Alain.

I didn't always agree with his decisions but never minded him being named as the ref either.

He reffed a World Cup which is some achievement and honour.

Comment

Indeed one of the best refs in the world, even managed to dodge the Paddy O'Brien bullets for reffing NZ properly! Hopefully he'll be employed by the IRB to help with ref development world-wide.
                          Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

There's more in the credit than the debit but he suffered from an awful dose of Poiteitis a few years ago where he was dreadful.
                            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

What was the to do with him at the last World Cup? I all ever heard was people mentioning that things became "political" and that he was thinking of/should retire because "f*ck the IRB."
                              I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

Working...
                              X