Ireland training squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland training squad

The Ireland coaching staff have announced a squad of 42 players to assemble at Carton House for Sunday afternoon and Monday morning, to commence their preparations for the Guinness Series in November.

Originally posted by Joe Schmidt
    There are a number of players such as Tommy O'Donnell, Michael Bent, Stuart Olding, Andrew Trimble, Craig Gilroy and Felix Jones that were not considered due to injury but some of these players may well be involved in the autumn as they return to full fitness and resume playing.There are also a few players who have not yet had many opportunities to make an impression and a few youngsters who have been impressive in the early rounds of the Pro 12 that we've left to keep working with their provinces.
    Ireland Training Squad (22-23 September)
    Stephen Archer (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
    Isaac Boss (Terenure College/Leinster)
    Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    James Coughlan (Dolphin/Munster)
    Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
    Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon/Ulster)
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster)
    Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster)
    Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)
    Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
    Dave Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    David Kilcoyne (UL Bohemian/Munster)
    Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster)
    Mike McCarthy (Leinster)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    Niall Morris (Leicester Tigers)
    Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
    Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
    Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
    Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)
    Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92)
    Mike Sherry (Garryowen/Munster)
    Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster)
    Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Damn you double post. Shakes fist.

Anyway, breakdown of squad.

LHP: Healy, Kilcoyne, McGrath
    Hookers: Best, Cronin, Sherry, Strauss
    THP: Archer, Fitzpatrick, Ross
    Locks: Henderson, McCarthy, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Ryan, Toner, Tuohy
    Flankers: Henry, Jennings, McLoughlin, O'Brien, O'Mahony
    No. 8: Coughlan, Heaslip
    SH: Boss, Murray, Reddan
    OH: Jackson, Madigan, Sexton
    Centres: D'Arcy, Marshall, O'Driscoll
    Back 3: Bowe, Earls, Fitzgerald, Henshaw, Kearney D, Kearney R, McFadden, Morris, Zebo

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
      Damn you double post. Shakes fist.
      i think i had the same post before you as well.

Comment

Tom Court plays for the Lions but can't get into a 42-man Ireland squad ...
        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
          Tom Court plays for the Lions but can't get into a 42-man Ireland squad ...
          Ah here, any prop who was in Oz at the time stood a chance of getting a lions jersey.
          "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

If you take it that Court is behind Healy and Kilcoyne (which I think he is), then I would have thought "team Ireland" will get more out of Jack McGrath holding tackle-bags than Court, in the long-run. Assuming that's the logic which has driven that decision it's strange it wasn't applied in the case of the back-row, where Jennings has been brought along.

Comment

Same old conservative Ireland, Autumn internationals with the same three centres and scrum halves selected again. Not a shred of a side evolving bar McGrath'S selection
              My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Have to say I'm disappointed for Keatley not to make the training squad.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                  Same old conservative Ireland, Autumn internationals with the same three centres and scrum halves selected again. Not a shred of a side evolving bar McGrath'S selection
                  If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
                  The system is dead! Long live the process!

Comment

Its a pity he didnt give Marmion a chance. Murrays no 1 if his on form. Boss and Reddan while great over the years for Leinster they arent the future.
                    Shane Jennings is an odd choice at this stage. Ditto Coughlan
                    Great to see Jack McGrath get in there, Hopefully it will develop him further. His some size and a beast carrying the ball. He just needs more help with the dark arts .
                    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Qwerty1 View Post
                      If you take it that Court is behind Healy and Kilcoyne (which I think he is), then I would have thought "team Ireland" will get more out of Jack McGrath holding tackle-bags than Court, in the long-run. Assuming that's the logic which has driven that decision it's strange it wasn't applied in the case of the back-row, where Jennings has been brought along.
                      O'Donnell would probably have been selected ahead of him if he'd been fit.

Comment

The auld back row looks a bit shorn of test quality beyond the dead certs' Jennings-Henry-Locky-Cawlin are all decent lads but wouldn't be certain there's long term solutions in any of them
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Beggars belief Marmion isn't in.

Astonishing to be fair. None of the others will give Murray a run for his money.

As regards the centres- he's picked what's available.
                          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Yes, It wouldnt have been a massive gamble to include Marmion. Boss is getting on as is Reddan. Reddan is coming back from a bad injury and could have been left out.
                            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Id imagine the Ulster contingent are unhappy about Trimble, Gilroy, Court and P Marshall to name a few . . . .Ulster seem to me to have borne the brunt of Schmidts changes . .

As a Munster man I would have liked to see TOD there . .but give it time.

Great to see McGrath in there . . . he is a beast. Looked capable against the Jones's in the scrum last week to my untrained eye . . and obviously capable around the field. Better than Court as a 3d . . .all 3 LH's are more dynamic than Court.

Paddy Jackson is lucky to be there imo . .Id cringe if I saw him come off the bench against the likes of the AB's . . ..it will be Madigan as primary back up imo . .

Don't agree with Reddan myself . .but thats an old one

I can't see this selection as being in anyway more radical than a Declan Kidney selection . . . .not that I have any issue with that either.

Comment

Working...
                              X