Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Irish forwards coach John Plumtree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Irish forwards coach John Plumtree

    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/29545.php
    Interesting choice.

    #2
    New blood!! Bring it on!!!!
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw


    Comment


      #3
      best of luck to him. Would have preferred Gibbes myself.
      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

      Comment


        #4
        Three wise men in charge of the national side. Second only to New Zealand's coaching team in terms of quality, experience and success. It promises good things.

        Comment


          #5
          Good choice I think.
          "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
            Three wise men in charge of the national side. Second only to New Zealand's coaching team in terms of quality, experience and success. It promises good things.
            you don't think its a strange choice considering the brand of rugby schimdt played at leinster. That was my initial reaction.
            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

            Comment


              #7
              I remain unconvinced, his CV is fairly average
              My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                you don't think its a strange choice considering the brand of rugby schimdt played at leinster. That was my initial reaction.
                Schmidt is taking on the role of backs/attack coach himself, so I imagine the patterns of attack will be a whole-of-team effort which Schmidt will lead on, while Plumtree will be more focused on scrum, lineout, maul, restarts, and the breakdown. Enough to be going on with, and certainly not in contradiction with Schmidtball.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by sewa View Post
                  I remain unconvinced, his CV is fairly average
                  He's been successful everywhere he's coached. His CV is transparently not average.
                  "From Hawera, New Zealand, the 48-year-old coached Swansea RFC to success in the Welsh League (1998), Cup (1999) and the Welsh-Scottish League (2001) before taking the Wellington Lions to three play-off finals (2003, 2004 and 2006) in the New Zealand NPC, and guiding the Natal Sharks to two Currie Cup victories (2008 and 2010).

                  John was named South African Coach of the Year in 2012. He will join the Irish set-up at the start of September."

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
                    Schmidt is taking on the role of backs/attack coach himself, so I imagine the patterns of attack will be a whole-of-team effort which Schmidt will lead on, while Plumtree will be more focused on scrum, lineout, maul, restarts, and the breakdown. Enough to be going on with, and certainly not in contradiction with Schmidtball.

                    Leinster forwards were drilled to keep the ball alive, to shift it out of contact and hit the line at a thunderous pace from deep.


                    Haven't seen the Sharks doing too much of that in the S15. Theirs is a power game based on heavy fellas battering over fringe defences.
                    I am the million man.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                      you don't think its a strange choice considering the brand of rugby schimdt played at leinster. That was my initial reaction.
                      The Sharks played some expansive rugby last year. Haven't seen much of them this season, other than a game against the Highlanders where they threw it about. They're not the Bulls or Stormers.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I should also wish the man the best of luck in his new role. I hope we see great successes under this management.


                        Gwan Plumtree
                        I am the million man.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                          Leinster forwards were drilled to keep the ball alive, to shift it out of contact and hit the line at a thunderous pace from deep.


                          Haven't seen the Sharks doing too much of that in the S15. Theirs is a power game based on heavy fellas battering over fringe defences.
                          I doubt it was Gibbes who was responsible for that as much as Schmidt, though. He's a backs/attack coach, not a backs coach.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Leinster aren't that much of an off-loading side in the forwards. They go around the corner a lot and try to move the point of contact with passes near the gain-line. All their players are looking to put each other into gaps. Modern defensive systems make it difficult to count on offloads so the passes are generally before contact. Once they're in behind they ratchet up the tempo and then move it wide. Their strategy is highly dependent on forward momentum generated relatively close to the ruck. In this respect, Leinster were more forward-oriented than Munster for most of last season. The Sharks aren't all that dissimilar, except that their backs coach isn't as good.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              interesting choice, best of luck to him
                              I find your lack of faith disturbing....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X