Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland Captain

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...medium=twitter

"Paul O’Connell has played down talk of taking up the same role with Ireland, telling RTE Radio this morning that he doesn’t expect to be offered the job by new coach Joe Schmidt."

has to be Paulie I think. Would also be a good idea for Schmidt to have a captain from outside LeinsterLeinster

I agree with you that Paulie is the obvious choice. What I don't undertand is what being from outside Leinster would help? If he appointed O'Driscoll would you mind?
    "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

If he picks O'Driscoll I will mind, never mind make him captain
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Guaranteed their places if fit-

Healy, POC, O'Brien, Murray, Sexton, Bowe

Picking a Leinster, or ex-Leinster, player would be politically sensitive.
        Picking POC is arguably a bit 'short term'
        Murray is the heir apparent.

I think POC is the logical choice, the no brainer. He is a leader of men. I would personally select him as captain with Murray as some sort of Vice-captain perhaps.

Comment

Got to be Paulie, hasn't it? Don't let him near the music though
          http://www.independent.ie/woman/cele...-29430665.html

Comment

One thing is for sure - Heaslip is not captain material.

These are mine who will be in the frame.

1. BOD - proven player but won't be around till the World Cup.

2. POC - Proven leader but injury prone. But all going well will be there for the World Cup.

3. Heaslip - will be considered as he is current captain. Personally I would say no.

4. Sexton - good player. Will lead from the front. Is vocal. But mentally strong to captain? Kicker and captain.

5. POM - natural leader. Talented. Will be there for next two world cups.

6. Best - leader. Respected. Non controversial. Mixes well. Unfortunately he may not be our best hooker.

Anyone else?
            Last edited by The Last Stand; 18th-July-2013, 22:09.

Comment

Keith Earls,a good 7/8 seasons left in the tank.
              clowns

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                I agree with you that Paulie is the obvious choice. What I don't undertand is what being from outside Leinster would help? If he appointed O'Driscoll would you mind?
                Schmidt is now the Ireland coach, picking someone outside of leinster of course helps him.
                Paulie is the correct choice, its just a useful side effect that he's from a non leinster team.

Comment

If we're talking about somebody who will captain through to the next world cup (which we should be imo) then it must be POC.

Seriously, who would you pick above him? BOD excepted (and he won't be around), there isn't an alternative option who's within a country mile of him, either in terms of leadership or ability.

[... and no disrespect to JH here; it's just that POC is genuinely world class ( ...both as a player & as a leader)]
                  'I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose' - Woody Allen

Comment

**** the World Cup. I want a 6 nations. Or maybe even 2. They can stick the World Cup.
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I don't think it should be either POC or BOD.

I'd be inclined to look at the Sean O brien's age-group.

If Conor Murray was a bit older I'd be putting him on the shortlist
                      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

POC. After he retires POM should be a strong candidate.

Comment

Not seeing the captain material in murray tbh. And why he'd be irish captain when he's not even being considered for munster captaincy

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                            Not seeing the captain material in murray tbh. And why he'd be irish captain when he's not even being considered for munster captaincy
                            Maybe that is the reason why he needs to be encouraged further out of his shell. With the greatest respect to Strings, Murray is already the best Irish scrum half I have seen, he has the potential to be the best in the world in his position. I watched the Argentina game back the other day and his display was, apart from two undercooked box kicks, faultless. The replays of Zebo's try in that game fail to show Murray's beautiful reverse pass to Sextoid, stunning!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                              I think down the line he could be. Too early yet. I don't think its a good idea giving to either POC or BOD. BOD because he's in the last 12 months and POC because of the injury count.
                              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Working...
                              X