Ireland 2012-2013 season in review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland 2012-2013 season in review

An international season that was haunted by the ghosts of Hamilton. 60-0. In the absence of a mental audit or a psychic MRI, the team's brief surge in confidence from victory over Fiji to victory over Wales seemed like manic episodes in a prolonged depression. Recovery never seemed likely anyway, and the doctors were duly fired.

Anyone got any thoughts on how the season went and where things are likely to go from here?

Injuries to key players (Paulie, Sexton & D'Arcy), drop in form by others (Best, RoG, Kearney, Earls) , outside distractions (Sexton, Bod, Kidney, Bent) didn't help. Emergence of Zebo, Gilroy & L. Marshall small positives.

The future depends of who gets the No. 2 jersey, can Best get over the yips? What has Sherry to do? Will the BoD, 1 more year ****e reamerge? Will Joe favour Leinster more than others?
    Last edited by Sulla; 18th-June-2013, 14:44.
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Major benefit of the season was the addition of new players to the international panel. Strauss, McCarthy, Gilroy, Zebo, Marshall, Jackson and Madigan all came in and did well at different times. O'Donnell, Olding and Henshaw got a start each at a lower level but will hopefully be involved in the November squads. That's 10 new players to give some impetus.

Worst parts of the season were the line-out and the general front five performances. All the losses this year were attended by a dodgy line-out, and in many of them the clear-out work and discipline of the front five were poor. A ****e line-out nearly cost the game against the USA too. O'Connell should bring some stability there, but the hookers chosen don't fill me with confidence.

Comment

The highlight of the season was appointing Joe Schmidt. Another good thing was that competition for places is hotting up with plenty of players coming through to challenge the first choice. Theres still the tighthead problem. Ireland need a few tightheads to step up next season. Archer and Martin Moore look the most likely candidates. Mike Ross' form fluctuates throughout the season and in general he had an average season but still the best prop Ireland have.

It might be no coincidence that himself and Heaslips form wasn't great and they're playing in the 2 positions where Ireland are lacking. If any Leinster fans think I'm anti Heaslip all you have to do is look at his form rise up a few weeks before the Lions were selected. Its amazing what a bit of competition in the squad does.

Comment

The pack needs a bone crusher and leader in the trenches. A man that can pull them together and tell them where they're going and what to do to get there in the heat of battle.

The brains of this Irish operation are either retired or coming into retirement. Somebody needs to grab the jersey and tell the rest what to do. I'd hoped it would be one of Ryan or Heaslip, but the jury is out for both. Ryan's off season may herald a barnstorming return to savagery.

Until the team reestablishes who the go to man is, we'll still be in the 'transition phase'
          I am the million man.

Comment

Mark my words this will not end well.

It will be a stat-attack within 2 pages.
            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
              Mark my words this will not end well.

It will be a stat-attack within 2 pages.
              You sound like gorgeous George when he goes with Tommy to buy the caravan off the pikeys
              I am the million man.

Comment

One of my favourite lines from that movie -
                "What's a gun doing in your trousers?" "It's for protection." "Protection from what? Ze Germans?"
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Who will be captain next season?

Comment

You're trying to buy a caravan off a bunch of fackin pikeys? What's wrong with you?

Oh you bastard, this will not, end well.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      The pack needs a bone crusher and leader in the trenches. A man that can pull them together and tell them where they're going and what to do to get there in the heat of battle.

The brains of this Irish operation are either retired or coming into retirement. Somebody needs to grab the jersey and tell the rest what to do. I'd hoped it would be one of Ryan or Heaslip, but the jury is out for both. Ryan's off season may herald a barnstorming return to savagery.

Until the team reestablishes who the go to man is, we'll still be in the 'transition phase'
                      POM... not yet but in a few seasons time

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                        POM... not yet but in a few seasons time
                        True!
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                          Who will be captain next season?
                          POC or BOD. POC has a few more years more than BOD left in him and its his turn to have a run of it for the green monkeys.
                          "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
                            An international season that was haunted by the ghosts of Hamilton. 60-0. In the absence of a mental audit or a psychic MRI, the team's brief surge in confidence from victory over Fiji to victory over Wales seemed like manic episodes in a prolonged depression. Recovery never seemed likely anyway, and the doctors were duly fired.

Anyone got any thoughts on how the season went and where things are likely to go from here?
                            It was a bit of a shambles wasn't it. There were a couple of bright sparks and signs that performances could improve during the Argentina and Wales matches but it was all sharply downhill after that. The likes of Kidney and O'Gara deserved better send-offs than they got but sport, in general, can be very cruel like that.

Some positives for the new coaching set-up in that we've blooded a lot of new players in the last 18 months. Some have looked out of their depth but others have shown promise and there's probably more depth there than there has been. Unfortunately many of the same issues that dogged the last few years remain. At tight-head prop we're still being forced to flog Mike Ross in every game due to a lack of back-ups. Fitzpatrick is miles away from being a professional rugby player while the likes of Hagan and Archer still have big question marks hanging over them with regard to their scrummaging.

The front five still rely too much on POC and his absence this season was probably the difference between defeat (and a draw) and victory in the South Africa, Scotland and France games. We also still have an issue with the balance in the back-row. Between Ferris, POM, SOB and Heaslip we're picking players who have very similar strengths and deficiencies. Players are then required to temper their natural game and try to compensate for each other's weaknesses and it's not working and it hasn't been working for some time. This is probably the one area that Schmidt can fix relatively quickly given the resources at hand. At Leinster he's always selected a real workhorse like McLaughlin, Jennings or Ruddock alongside SOB and Heaslip. He needs to bring in a similar template (not saying it's limited to those three players either) with Ireland.

In the backs we need to stop playing so bloody deep. It was a constant this season no matter who played at 10. Nearly tore my hair out with frustration during the Bok game and we shovelled the ball on miles behind the gain line as Bok defenders lined us up at their leisure. There are times when we need a deep alignment but not all bloody game. All the fly-half candidates are capable of playing flat and assuming Schmidt takes over the backs coaching I'd expect a noticeable improvement here next season.

Some of the more established backs had average to poor seasons but this was at least offset by the likes of Zebo, Gilroy and Marshall stepping up. If we can get the likes of Earls, Kearney, Fitzgerald and Bowe fit and fully firing we then have some real options in the 11-15 slots. At half-back I'd be a bit concerned at our options at 9. Murray is the best (and can still improve) of a fairly average bunch and we could do with Marmion continuing to show his promise and the likes of Luke McGrath starting to step up at Leinster. At 10 it's going to be a big season for the likes of Madigan and Jackson. Both need to show that they can thrive in the big matches while Jackson needs to start taking more responsibility for running the game at Ulster, and that involves place-kicking more regularly.

Comment

The holy grail for Ireland, and any other rugby team, is to score off multiple phases. This allows you to both keep the ball, and keep the scoreboard moving, which means control of the game. For a lot of international sides, the more phases they go through, the less likely they are to score. Ireland, in particular, score most of their tries and points off 1-5 phases. Wales, in contrast, have a good mix of points from a handful of phases or 5-20 phases. If Schmidt can get Ireland scoring off multi-phase, it'll make them a much better team.

Comment

Working...
                              X