Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Crimson King
    replied

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14px">www.nzherald.co.nz@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14px">Herald column on Welsh rugby sparks outrage in Wales@@@@/SPAN>
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 8px"></DIV>@@@@SPAN =copy>10.00am Friday November 24, 2006
    By Daniel Gilhooly of NZPA

<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>CARDIFF - Herald columnist Chris Rattue has sparked a war of words ahead of the Welsh test with a column questioning the Wales rugby team.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>The buildup to the final test of New Zealand's tour turned into a media slanging match today when the front page of Wales' biggest paper, the Western Mail, was devoted to a column that appeared in The New Zealand Herald this week slamming the standard of Welsh rugby and their misguided rugby heritage.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>In a prime example of the hold rugby has here, the Western Mail took umbrage at the column by Chris Rattue, describing it as a "tirade" and "an extraordinary attack on Wales".
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>Under the headline "New Zealand newspaper in 'village idiots' blast at Wales" it said the poisonous words would impact on the psyche of both sides ahead of the test at Millennium Stadium.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>"It is unlikely to be welcomed by All Blacks coach Graham Henry and his squad, who always treat their hosts with courtesy," the paper said.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>"Rattue's insults are certain to enrage people throughout Wales and anger coach Gareth Jenkins and his players."
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>A member of All Blacks management admitted today that a local woman they knew had been upset by the story.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>There was little else on the minds of Welsh journalists today, who pressed assistant All Black coach Wayne Smith to comment on the column.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>"I wouldn't take it too seriously if I was the Welsh people," Smith said.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>"I don't take it seriously, I think he (Rattue) is stirring for whatever reason.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>"It's all just talk. Thirty athletes are going to put it on the track on Saturday and the people who do the talking don't have to go out and play."
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>Smith said he could "dredge up folders and folders" of stories by Welsh journalist Stephen Jones deriding New Zealand and the All Blacks. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>"We take that with a grain of salt. We don't even talk about it."
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>Smith wasn't sure whether the Welsh would pin the column to the dressing room wall and use it for motivation.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>That was a tactic the All Blacks coaches rarely employed, he said.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>"We tend to not use emotion much with the team, the team's grown up.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>"Obviously the odd time you feel something's needed and there are those sorts of things you can use (as motivation)."
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>The Western Mail directed readers to a full "onslaught" of The New Zealand Herald's column in its sports section.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>In it, Wales are described as "the village idiots of rugby union", whose players "lie down for the cause".
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>The column was also criticised today in a report in The Times newspaper.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>After days of mutual compliments, the pre-test temperature has certainly risen.
    <DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10px"></DIV>Welsh c

Leave a comment:

• McCloud
    replied
    Originally posted by Riptide

Originally posted by McCloud
    Actually I would love it if Wales stuffed the AB's. Arrogant tw*ts[img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img]Seem to remember Collins having to leave the field of play in the Wales v AB's game in the group stages in the last world cup because he could not take anymore.

Yes.. he went whimpering to the side line- the big, bad Welsh men were just ph too hard, and strong. Who won again?

Riptide my point was / is the AB's had to work very hard to win that game and to diss the Welsh team like that NZ writer did is just plan arrogant. And guess what Henry agree's with me[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

'Embarrassed' Henry offers Wales olive branch

Graham Henry has apologised on behalf of the All Blacks and promised to “sort out” the New Zealand journalist who wrote an article dismissing Wales as the “village idiots” of rugby.

The New Zealand Herald columnist Chris Rattue kicked up a storm this week when he laid into the standard of Welsh rugby and their misguided rugby heritage.

It is 53 years since Wales last beat New Zealand and Rattue wrote: “It’s pointless going on about the great history of All Black and Welsh rugby because there isn’t one.

“If rugby between New Zealand and Wales was a boxing contest, they would have stopped it many rounds ago and revoked the Welsh licence.

“Let’s face it. Wales are rubbish. They are the village idiots of rugby union. They have fans who live for the game, administrators who’ve killed it and players who lie down for the cause.

“Wales had a brilliant team of never-to-be-forgotten players 30 years ago. Since then, they’ve totally stuffed it up and they’ll stuff it up again this weekend.”

The article enraged the local media, who have re-run it in full this week and urged Wales head coach Gareth Jenkins to pin the tirade to the changing room wall tomorrow.

But Henry, who coached Wales between 1998 and 2002, was quick to distance himself and the All Blacks from Rattue’s comments.

“I hope the Welsh people realise those comments are not representative of us,” said Henry.

“I’m very embarrassed by the article in the paper. I was very annoyed and angry, I still am, and I’m going to sort the fellow out when I get home.

“There’s 100 years of history between New Zealand and Wales and the two teams are very close in a rugby sense.

“I think we are closer to the Welsh rugby team than any other team we play against. The teams get together after the game and have a drink, we respect each other and we respect the Welsh people.

“Steve Hansen (All Blacks assistant coach) and I have both spent time here and thoroughly enjoyed those times.

“We felt very privileged to have had the opportunity to coach Wales.

“So for a guy to write that article makes me very annoyed. I apologise to the Welsh people about that article. It was very uncalled for.

“You get one or two idiots in every village and we’ve obviously got one over there.”

All Blacks captain Richie McCaw was not initially aware of the article, but he does not fear Wales will have drawn any extra motivation from it.

“You can’t get any more fired up than for a Wales v All Blacks Test match.

“We always make a point after each Test to go into the changing room and have a beer together. It doesn’t happen all that often these days, but these countries make sure we do that.

“We like the Welsh guys and enjoy their company.”

But there will be little friendship on the field tomorrow.

New Zealand head into the Wales game following a 41-20 victory over England and back-to-back triumphs over France, a thumping 47-3 rout in Lyon and a 23-11 win in Paris last weekend.

The All Blacks have averaged 37 points a game this tour – but Henry warned there is more to come as New

Leave a comment:

• Riptide
    replied

Originally posted by McCloud
    Actually I would love it if Wales stuffed the AB's. Arrogant tw*ts[img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img]Seem to remember Collins having to leave the field of play in the Wales v AB's game in the group stages in the last world cup because he could not take anymore.

Yes.. he went whimpering to the side line- the big, bad Welsh men were just ph too hard, and strong. Who won again?

Leave a comment:

• McCloud
    replied

Well not a lot you could disagree with in Zinzan's comments.

Remove England 'cancer' - Zinzan
    By Bryn Palmer

Robinson and Corry will be under further scrutiny on Saturday
    All Blacks legend Zinzan Brooke says England should consider changing their coach and captain to get rid of the "cancer" that has crept into the team.

The positions of Andy Robinson and Martin Corry will be under review after Saturday's Test against South Africa.

"I have been a big supporter of Corry but I think there seems to be a bit of cancer in the team," Brooke said.

"I think you could keep Corry in there but if you change the coach you should change the captain at the same time."

Rugby Football Union elite director Rob Andrew said last week before the victory over the Springboks that the process of "finding a World Cup captain was on-going".

Brooke advocated the leadership skills of Phil Vickery as a possible alternative for the Six Nations, even if he believes the Wasps prop could do without the extra responsibility at the moment.

"I don't think it is the right time really," he told BBC Sport. "He hasn't got enough game time yet since his comeback. You don't want to run him into the ground now."

With only 10 more Tests after Saturday before next year's World Cup, Brooke believes England are in "total disarray".

"I just can't believe the state English rugby is in at the moment," he added.

"I am just about at the point where I don't really care any more. The games they are playing are just rubbish.

"There is the whole debate still going on over whether Robinson should go, or should he have gone before? What are they going to do now if he wins this game on Saturday?

"Is he going to keep his position until the World Cup? Or are they going to turn around and sack him anyway?

"That seems to be the talking point, but then who replaces him? And who is going to be the captain?

"It is hardly ideal 10 months out from the World Cup, but England shouldn't be thinking about the World Cup.

"They should just be thinking about the next game, against South Africa, and then addressing things for the Six Nations.

"Josh Lewsey probably single-handedly saved England from disaster last week. The only positive thing was the impact the likes of Vickery and Chris Jones made in the second half.

"The bench probably turned the game but from the point of view of their general play, it was rubbish."

Leave a comment:

• blackpudding
    replied

Originally posted by Cool - Cat
    Originally posted by Osprey in leicester

Who the hell do you think you are !? You have won 1 Grand Slam EVER ! and that was 58 years ago.

GRAND SLAM WINNERS

ENGLAND 12

WALES 9

FRANCE 8

SCOTLAND 3

*ireland* 1

Wake up and smell the coffee ffs !
    When the 2007 Six Nations is over 'Osprey in Leicester' England will have won 13 Grand Slam's because there is no team in the NH to give England a serious game at the moment
    Quite true, there is possibly no team in the NH that takes England seriously at all at the moment[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• The Crimson King
    replied

Originally posted by Cool - Cat
    When the 2007 Six Nations is over 'Osprey in Leicester' England will have won 13 Grand Slam's because there is no team in the NH to give England a serious game at the moment

Huh??? Wha? Do we have a time traveller from the past here, who is mysteriously unaware of the shambles that is England? Or do they mean England U14s or something?

Leave a comment:

• Cool - Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Osprey in leicester

Who the hell do you think you are !? You have won 1 Grand Slam EVER ! and that was 58 years ago.

GRAND SLAM WINNERS

ENGLAND 12

WALES 9

FRANCE 8

SCOTLAND 3

*ireland* 1

Wake up and smell the coffee ffs !

Leave a comment:

• RichardP
    replied
    One good thing abouit the upcoming game is that at least one shower of arrogant twits will have less to be arrogant about

Leave a comment:

• HurlerOnDeDitch
    replied

Not sure how delusional the Welsh are. They hammered us 2 years ago in Cardiff and seemed in control until Jones went off in Dublin last time out.

I think the trip to Cardiff could make or break our season this year. It is hardly a dead cert. [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

They may be arrogant, but that does not make them a bad side.

Leave a comment:

• gelly
    replied
    AB will batter them by 40pt
    AB will gettaken down apeg when they make amess of the world cup again next year

Leave a comment:

• Cathal
    replied
    I think I'll watch the BBC coverage instead of the RTE one for this, should be highly amusing.

Leave a comment:

• toomey
    replied
    Can`t wait to watch the faces on BBC when the AB`s hammer them. They just can`t accept that we`re better than them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Wales are completely delusional and i really hope they get mullered at the weekend. im actually quite looking forward to it

Any one know time off KO?

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied

Difficult to decide who I want to win this.

The ABs: justifiably arrogantSHnation who need taking down a peg.

Wales: delusional and arrogant NHnation of begrudgers who need taking down a peg.

I think on balance I have to shout for NZ. The ABsmay be from the SH and as arrogant as they come but the Welsh seem to begrudge us the bit of success we've had lately in the HEC and AIs and that sways me against them.

Leave a comment:

• gelly
    replied

<div ="mvb"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="416">
    <t>
    <tr>
    <td valign="bottom" width="55"><br clear="all"></td>
    <td> </td>
    <td valign="bottom" width="351">
    <div ="mvb">@@@@SPAN ="byl">By Brent Cockbain @@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN ="byd">Wales and Ospreys lock @@@@/SPAN></div></td></tr></t></table>
    </div><!- E IBYL ->

Wales will beat New Zealand 35-32 on Saturday... how's that for a
    prediction!

</font>

We all know it's going to be immensely difficult and we'll have to play to
    the best of our ability, but a team like New Zealand will always bring the best
    out of you.
    </font>

The biggest moments in my rugby career have been playing against the All
    Blacks - I've played against them twice at the Millennium Stadium and the
    atmosphere raised hairs on the back of my neck.
    </font>

<!- S IIMA ->
    <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203">
    <t>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div>
    <div ="cap">Stephen Jones and Dwayne Peel are key to Welsh
    hopes</div></div></td></tr></t></table><!- E IIMA ->

The key for Wales will be to secure good field position. Stephen Jones'
    return at fly-half is a massive boost and hopefully he and Dwayne Peel can
    control the game.
    </font>

If they don't, we'll be in big trouble.
    </font>

But, if we get into the right areas, we've got big ball carriers to hurt any
    side, and our scrum and line-out have been performing well.
    </font>

On top of that, we've got Gavin Henson and James Hook who can come off the
    bench and make a difference later in the game.
    </font>

But ultimately we've just got to go for it and get stuck in. That's what we
    did two years ago when we lost by a point, and I think it took the All Blacks by
    surprise.
    </font>

We've got to match their aggression at the breakdown area and play with a bit
    experience and savvy.
    </font>

We were outgunned by the Australians in the first 20 minutes earlier this
    month because we were counter-rucked.
    </font>

<!- S I ->
    <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="208">
    <t>
    <tr>
    <td width="5"></td>
    <td ="sibStdQuote">
    <div ="o"> </div>
    <div>
    <div ="mva">
    Sonny played well against Canada - very direct and very
    strong and he's deservedly kept his place

<br clear="all"></div></div></td></tr></t></table><!- E I ->

New Zealand are very professional in that area, and they often seem to get
    away with things that other sides get penalised for.
    </font>

They play right on the edge of the law; lying on top of a player after the
    tackle, slowing the ball down, counter rucking, coming in from the side - just
    little things like that which make life very difficult for referees.
    </font>

But we've looked at the videos and the players will know which areas they can
    target.
    </font>

I'm disappointed I won't be involved on Saturday, but that's life. I

Leave a comment:

Working...
X