NZ Herald on Wales v ABs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NZ Herald on Wales v ABs

Interesting article from the NZ Herald. Predictably, Gwlad isn't happy about it (but when are they ever happy about anything?).

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...id=4&objec tid=10411843

Chris Rattue: Sorry, but Wales are rubbish
    Wednesday November 22, 2006</font>

</font>@@@@SPAN ="copy">

This sure is an exciting week for rugby.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>Everywhere, people are biting their nails in anticipation of the All Blacks' clash against ... snorrrrrrrrrrr ... Wales.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>The
    last time I was this excited about a rugby occasion was when I spied a
    touring Venezuelan team eating hamburgers in Onehunga.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>It's
    pointless at this point going on about the great history of All Black
    and Welsh rugby because there isn't one. About the only thing of
    interest that has happened between the two countries in the past half
    century was the time Andy Haden dived out of a lineout at Cardiff Arms
    Park. Welsh rugby sure learns its lessons, because they've been heading
    nose first into the turf ever since.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>If
    rugby between New Zealand and Wales was a boxing contest, they would
    have stopped it many rounds ago and revoked the Welsh licence.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>Every
    year they turn up with a lot of gibbidy-gib in the talk department, and
    every year they play like a reserve grade team on an end-of-year trip
    to Majorca.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>Looking at the
    general state of the Welsh game, the big question isn't so much, "Why
    haven't they beaten the All Blacks for 53 years?"<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>The real question is, "How the heck could a mob like that have ever beaten us in the first place?"<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>What is it about Welsh rugby that still fires the imagination, or does it fire the imagination at all?<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>Yes.
    The Welsh talk with an interesting lilt. If it was a talking contest,
    the Welsh would win hands down. Yes, they sure can sing. If it was a
    choral contest you'd put a tenner on their tenors, although to be
    honest, a bunch of Angus steers could give this country a run for its
    money in that department. We don't so much belt out our national
    anthem. We beat the bugger to death.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>Yes,
    they've got a stadium with a roof. Maybe our city mums and dads could
    head to Cardiff on a fact-finding mission, although knowing our dearly
    beloved leaders they'd probably return carrying the plans for a go-kart
    track in the Isle of Anglesey.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>And
    yes, every team Wales fields sounds as though they've scrambled all the
    great names from the past and pulled them out of a hat.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>Welsh rugby gets away with murder, or make that suicide.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>It is always busy closing the gap, although the only gap that actually disappears is the one being dealt to by its stadium roof.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>Come
    on, Wales. Break the habit of most people's lifetime. Get mad. Get
    real. Get something. Go out there and win - as in scoring more points
    than the All Blacks rather than winning all that patronising muck that
    everyone heaps on your broken bones.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>Okay, I hear the cry that now and then, Wales get real close. Real, real close. Real, real, real close.<div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>And
    you know what? They still lose. And
    Time And Relative Dimensions In Space

Actually I would love it if Wales stuffed the AB's. Arrogant tw*ts[img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img]Seem to remember Collins having to leave the field of play in the Wales v AB's game in the group stages in the last world cup because he could not take anymore.
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Siobhan
      @@@@SPAN><div style="line-height: 10px;"></div>And
      yes, every team Wales fields sounds as though they've scrambled all the
      great names from the past and pulled them out of a hat.@@@@/SPAN>
      </font>
      Heh! Looks like he read my post earlier! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]
      Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
      "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

The ABs and Kiwis are probably feeling insecure about their obsession with Rugby, in the sense no one cares about it as much as they do,

This is why they always blow the world cup and they'll blow it again next year[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

still though I hope they beat Wales, keep em in their place for the six nations,

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
          Actually I would love it if Wales stuffed the AB's. Arrogant tw*ts[img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img]Seem to remember Collins having to leave the field of play in the Wales v AB's game in the group stages in the last world cup because he could not take anymore.
          I hate to break it to you, but the 'AB's' didn't actually write that article. I dont see how an article writen by a random reporter makes the players arrogant tw*ts....

We all know this will be the AB's toughest game of the tour.

Comment

One of the few times I'll be cheering the All Blacks on - I hope they smash the Welsh.
            Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
            Munster: Early Season
            Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
            Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
            Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

<div ="mxb">
              <div ="sh">
              New Zealand stars to face Wales
              </div>
              </div>

<!- S BO ->
              <!- S IIMA ->

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203">
              <t><tr><td>
              <div>

<div ="cap">Carter destroyed Wales in Cardiff a year ago</div>
              </div>
              </td></tr>
              </t></table>

<!- E IIMA ->
              <!- S SF ->
              New Zealand's team to face Wales in Cardiff on Saturday shows seven changes from their last outing against France.
              </font>

But captain Richie McCaw, fly-half Daniel Carter and
              flanker Jerry Collins will all start despite suggestions they would be
              rested.
              </font>

Conrad Smith and Luke McAlister are reunited at centre, Mils Muliaina at full-back in place of Leon MacDonald.
              </font>

Rico Gear replaces winger Joe Rokocoko, while Neemia Tialata, Anton Oliver and Keith Robinson come into the pack.
              <!- E SF ->
              </font>

Gear scored a hat-trick of tires when the sides last met
              a year ago at the Millennium Stadium, with Carter adding the other 26
              points in a crushing 41-3 victory.
              </font>

<!- S ILIN ->

606 DEBATE: Your reaction to the All Blacks team selection

<!- E ILIN ->

</font>

"This is the team best suited to play Wales," said All
              Blacks coach Graham Henry, who only had injured centre Aaron Mauger
              unavailable for selection. </font>

"The Welsh play a different style to the French and the
              match will be played in different conditions. We've made changes
              accordingly."
              </font>

<hr>

New Zealand: Mils Muliaina; Rico Gear, Conrad
              Smith, Luke McAlister, Sitiveni Sivivatu; Dan Carter, Byron Kelleher;
              Neemia Tialata, Anton Oliver, Carl Hayman, Keith Robinson, Ali
              Williams, Jerry Collins, Richie McCaw (capt), Rodney So'oialo.
              Replacements: Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock, James Ryan, Reuben Thorne, Piri Weepu, Nick Evans, Ma'a Nonu.
              </font>

<!- E BO ->

</font>

<!-
              var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
              var SymReal;

Sym()
              {
              window.open = SymWinOpen;
              if(SymReal != null)
              SymReal();
              }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
              {
              if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
              SymReal&#079;nLoad();
              window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
              SymReal = window.;
              window. = Sym;
              }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
              window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Comment

Originally posted by NONU
                I hate to break it to you, but the 'AB's' didn't actually write that article. I dont see how an article writen by a random reporter makes the players arrogant tw*ts....

@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">We all know this will be the AB's toughest game of the tour.@@@@/SPAN>
                Rubbish, you wouldnt have said that before the tour. Who could have known France would roll over and die like they did. But be safe in the knowledge, as an Irishman in wales. I hope your players, arrogant or not, stuff them royally [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Comment

That is a strong team....... can't see the welsh doing anyting of value
                  in this game.... I'm looking forward to this game almost asmuch as the
                  Irish games.....

was well annoyed that I had to watch the french-All Blacks online, with a screen that kept freezing.....

@@@@SPAN ="copy">If
                  rugby between New Zealand and Wales was a boxing contest, they would
                  have stopped it many rounds ago and revoked the Welsh licence.[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]@@@@/SPAN>

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by NONU

We all know this will be the AB's toughest game of the tour.

Hate to break it to you but, reporters form opinions.
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Dressing room wall fodder

Comment

That journo is the NZ equivalent of a Stephen Jones.

In saying that, it did raise a chuckle because when it comes to arrogance and rubgy, the leek eaters are a tough lot to beat.

Was in the MillStad last yr when the AB's came to town, and some of the guff the kiwi's near us had to put up with was unbelievable. Thankfully Wales were put to the sword early, but that didn't stop a few fat Welsh kuntos wanting to start a ruck with some young Maori lads nearby. Talk about bad losers.

AB's by 30+ this weekend, Hurrah!!

Comment

Met a few NZ'rs while watching IRL v Aus this weekend. they were nice enough but very arrogant &amp; one eyed about their rugby &amp; SH rugby in general. At least their arrogance is well founded although if the team feels the same way they may be their own worst enemies.

As for Wales, I can never warm to them despite the attractivness of how they play rugby mainly due to their fans (not all mind) &amp; journalists (S, Jones -Times, C Jones Mgr of Ospreys). They seem to me to incorporate the worst of englishness without having their many qualities. They seem to be lost in the present order of things as they are actually better at rugby than the english at the moment so they no longer have the big mother nation to look up to &amp; despise in equal measure. They also seem to have a fixation with the Irish. Constantly comparing themselves to us, &amp; putting down our players as if to make themselves feel better about themselves. It's funny with the scots even when they were constantly beating us, you always felt this brotherly thing where you'd wish them well &amp; vice versa &amp; genuinely mean it. I've the impression (perhaps false) that most welsh would prefer us to lose to Eng, Aus etc.
                          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

New Zealand were talking the same nonsense before they played France in the Semi Final of the 1999 World Cup youall know what happened in the game itself

Comment

To be honest, I hope and Iknow the AB's will stuff Wales royally. I'd prefer to see the AB's going into the world cup with no losses, have them too confident and then see them make a bo*lox of the thing again. But, I still think they'll win it but we can always dream.

http://www.rebelwaves.com

Comment

Working...
                              X