No announcement yet.

'Emerging Ireland Squad'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there another hooked being named? Cronin off to America.
    My hair is more important than timekeeping!

Comment

Niall Annett, the young Ulster hooker has been called up.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        ahead of who? Ruddock, Diack, McKeon??
        Would consider Butler ahead of Ruddock, who he's outplayed on a few occasions. Diack is hardly "emerging" either.

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
          I agree 100%. If I wait for Dominic Ryan's rise since a few years, Paddy Buttler impressed me a lot in the games I managed to watch this season and is a real revelation for me. Anyway is Ireland a real backrower mine.
          No. Just a coincidence that a huge majority of our athletes are around the size of back rowers. Lack of imagination, importance of winning at under 12 etc etc means that our best are channeled into the back row positions. When for instance, will a North, Roberts or Horgan growing up in Munster ever play anywhere but 6 or worse, 6 and a half? Huge problem.
          Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Comment

Originally posted by Clubman View Post
            No. Just a coincidence that a huge majority of our athletes are around the size of back rowers. Lack of imagination, importance of winning at under 12 etc etc means that our best are channeled into the back row positions. When for instance, will a North, Roberts or Horgan growing up in Munster ever play anywhere but 6 or worse, 6 and a half? Huge problem.
            To be fair, I don't think we've ever produced a George North, or even an Alex Cuthbert. We've had big men on the wings (Denis Hurley and John O'Neill spring to mind), so it's not an aversion to the concept, but they've simply never been of the calibre of those two freakish athletes.

Comment

I agree with clubman it's not just we don't produce it's thinking. Probably also linked to traditional way Irish and in particular Munster rugby has been played. Most guys with a bit of size and pace want to play back row cos they got **** all ball. When you look at the pace of guys like Wally or Heaslip and the size of them they could have developed as centres, in particular ICs. Now people will say they don't have the handling skills but that's irrelevant because they have the handling skills of a guy who has played back row all their career. Play IC and train as an IC for your entire career and your handling, positioning etc will be different. It's like if you're over 6'3 and a big lad they used to chuck you into lock, now unless you're 6'5+ you get put to prop. We pigeon hole in Irish rugby constantly and it doesn't benefit our development. The silly thing about it is we have the sports background, hurling and football, that these lads mostly play as youngsters that give the co-ordination, handling and kicking skills as basics that mean they could develop "outside the box". And when you consider that legacy - look at the kicking skills of guys like Quinny and Miller - they could actually be better all round players than the ones we keep lusting after. Look at Nonu and consider some of the guys we could field who would have had the handling skills development (from GAA) that held him back in his early career. It's not that we don't find a Lomu it's that Irish rugby would not consider moving a Lomu from 8 to wing even if we did find him.
              Last edited by Evil Omer; 29th-May-2013, 11:06.
              \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

All the Walians want to do is run with the ball anyway, as a kid they're blooded to get the ball in their hands and take off. We put lummoxes into the pack
                I am the million man.

Comment

All the Walians want to do is run with the ball anyway, as a kid they're blooded to get the ball in their hands and take off. We put lummoxes into the pack
                  I am the million man.

Comment

In fairness, I don't think Wales's recent superior record is cos they have bigger wingers than us. Give me Bowe and Earls/Zebo over their lads any day.

Comment

I'd take North and Cuthbert ta very muchly, largely due to injury but Tommy Bowe has done sweet FA of note this season
                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

I'd take North but would definitely take Zebo and would have taken him on Lions tour, his ability to improvise and do it at pace is something that scares the Aussies, big lumbering units doesn't, they play NZ and SA numerous times a year.
                        \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Working...
                        X