FIRA-AER under 18 European Championship 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIRA-AER under 18 European Championship 2013

Ireland again being represented by the irish schools this year.First game is friday night against Georgia. Ireland will be expected to do well based on the strength of the Leinster squad this year who dominated the irish squad that well beat the irish youths in their fixture at christmas.Win as expected against Georgia and we play France or Italy. England are meant to be strong and be the toughest opponent Ireland could face over the next 2 weeks.Munster players involved include Rockwells Steve McMahon and Sean McNulty, Crescents Greg o Shea, Gearoid Lyons
    Last edited by ormond lad; 23rd-March-2013, 13:29.

Is that the same Steve Mcmahon, that got sent off yesterday?

That Greaoid Lyons looks a real classy type of OH, could have a big future.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
      Is that the same Steve Mcmahon, that got sent off yesterday?

That Greaoid Lyons looks a real classy type of OH, could have a big future.
      Yes. From Dungarvan but moved to rockwell 2 years ago.
      Will getting sent off yesterday impact him playing any of these games?

Comment

I'm not sure Ormond, maybe not, to be fair I think the young lad had enough punishment in getting sent off in the biggest day of his young career. Hopefully he learns from it,and becomes a better player from it.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
          Yes. From Dungarvan but moved to rockwell 2 years ago.
          Will getting sent off yesterday impact him playing any of these games?
          I think you're automatically banned.
          On the internet, you can be anything you want. It always amazes me why so many people choose to be stupid.

Comment

McMahon sweats on tour spot

Tuesday, March 19, 2013
            By Barry Coughlan
            Devastated at his team’s shock defeat to Crescent in yesterday’s Munster Schools Senior Cup final at Thomond Park, young Rockwell full back Steve McMahon faces a traumatic 24 hours as he sweats on his availability for an Irish overseas tour.
            McMahon was shown a red card for a tip tackle on Crescent centre William Leonard and it could cost him a place in Ireland’s U19 squad to participate in the FIRA Championships in Grenoble, the team due to leave for France tomorrow.

McMahon’s fate hinges on a report from referee Kieran Barry and the verdict of a disciplinary committee that has been appointed to meet today.

At least the timing of the meeting will be some consolation to the youngster as the committee, depending on the referee’s report, might well find the red card was enough punishment for the talented youngster and give him with enough time to link up with Ireland.

There would be a measure of sympathy for McMahon, who has no track record of foul play.

Rockwell, denied the three-in-a-row by a determined Crescent, were playing down the significance of the incident in relation to the outcome of the result.

Coach Mark Butler figured the Limerick school were already on their way to the a tenth title when McMahon was sent off.

“We have no complaints whatever about the outcome, they were a lot more clinical in the first half, the red card I don’t think had a bearing on the game,” he said. “I think Crescent had their lead established by then and as well as attacking us they also defended extremely well.

“Full credit to Crescent, but I was also proud of our guys who fought until the end, we had quite a young side out to finish up with and they showed great character.”

Crescent’s Conal Doyle was ecstatic, pointing to a flawless all-round performance and the contribution of out-half and skipper GearĂ³id Lyons.

“Everything clicked for us today, I think GearĂ³id particularly was superb for us, he kept the scoreboard ticking over and it’s not an easy thing to do under such pressure. It’s very hard for an opposition team when they see somebody nailing kicking chances like that all the time, but for our guys it was a huge lift.

“Overall, he and Gary [Fitzgerald] at nine were exceptional, I suppose all the backs did all the right things.”

The forwards, and particularly the back row?

“You know yourself, the forwards win the game for you in a sense, they won the battle up front and did everything they were required to do. Everyone, including the lads off the bench, contributed.”
            It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Will there be many Munster players making the squad this year?

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                Will there be many Munster players making the squad this year?
                Think there is 7 or 8 munster players in the squad. Steve McMahon and Sean McNulty from Rockwell are def involved.
                Presume Greg o Shea and Gearoid Lyons from Crescent will be in the squad. Prob another 1/2 from the cork schools and another from Crescent, maybe 1/2 from Munchins(Luke o Halloran maybe)

Comment

any info on this years munster/irl u19 squad

Comment

Originally posted by greenback View Post
                    any info on this years munster/irl u19 squad
                    No but assume likes of Jack o Donoghue, Dan Goggin, Adrian Enright will be involved. prob 6/7 munster players in total will be in 19s squad

Comment

Greg O'Shea (Crescent winger) and Sean McNulty (Rockwell hooker) the only Munster lads in the schools squad.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/28794.php

Comment

Originally posted by Malley View Post
                        Greg O'Shea (Crescent winger) and Sean McNulty (Rockwell hooker) the only Munster lads inthe squad.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/28794.php
                        Are Gearoid Lyons, Diarmuid Dee, McMahon (rockwell), Jack Dineen all overage or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Bromance View Post
                          Are Gearoid Lyons, Diarmuid Dee, McMahon (rockwell), Jack Dineen all overage or what?
                          None of them go to school in Dublin.

Comment

I'd imagine these results in the U-18 Interpros had a fairly large bearing on the make-up of the squad.

Leinster 68 Ulster 5
                            Munster 12 Leinster 34
                            Leinster 61 Connacht 3

Comment

Originally posted by Malley View Post
                              None of them go to school in Dublin.
                              True........sadly, not even a token Connacht player from the looks. 10 backs from Leinster? With Rockwell coach the backs coach surely should've had more pull! And 10 forwards, the entire leinster 18s more or less?

Comment

Working...
                              X