• Show
Clear All

Eddie O'Sullivan off to Cyprus

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eddie tweet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2497462
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Is that a joke?
    \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
    Dalai Lama

Comment

This is sad to read. It's been a very long time since he had gainful employment in rugby. I hope this is a stepping stone back into bigger things for him.

Go on Eddie
      I am the million man.

Comment

From The Cyprus Mail ...

When the players assembled for training they were in for a surprise as the figure standing beside Shanks was none other than Eddie O’Sullivan, the former Irish and American national coach who has agreed to be the Director of Rugby for the Moufflons.

This amazing scoop was brought about by the efforts of the Federation secretary, Andreas Iounnou, and the dynamic president, Laurence Vasiliades, who said: “Andreas put this proposition regarding Eddie O’Sullivan to me, which at first seemed too good to be true, but it’s not, and here he is.

“Eddie is deeply committed to supporting emerging rugby nations and has volunteered to work alongside our coaching staff to prepare us for our World-Cup play-offs and watch over our progress.”

O’Sullivan was Ireland’s most successful coach of recent years and prepared the USA. for the 2011 World Cup.

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/sport/mig...ecord/20130314
        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

It's madness that he couldn't get a job here with one of the Irish teams or provincial sides as a backs coach or assistant. The irfu were never going to help him .
          I guess when you bite the hand that feeds you
          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Even a lower level Rabo team?? Or a decent English lower division club?

There must be a whiff off him in the higher circles of rugby, because for a man who achieved a hell of a lot he's fairly frozen out these days
            I am the million man.

Comment

Next thing they'll need a bailout
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

I would say "how the mighty are fallen.." but I think this says it best;

I met a traveller from an antique land
                Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
                Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
                Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
                And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
                Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
                Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
                The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
                And on the pedestal these words appear:
                "My name is Eddie O'Sullivan, king of kings:
                Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
                Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
                Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
                The lone and level sands stretch far away
                The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

There's something rotten in irish rugby that can be that vindictive.

Comment

in fairness Eddie burned any bridges with Irish rugby at the end of his tenure.

feck the langer.
                    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                      Would you give him a coaching job ?

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                        We have short memories. We printed tshirts mocking him.
                        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

I'd be very surprised if he wasn't picked up by an English lower tier team. I hear Balla is making the case in Esher, and I'll certainly have a word in Blackheath next time I'm down there ....
                          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

It's not just Irish rugby folks. No one in French or English rugby will touch the guy. The likes of Michael Bradley were chosen ahead of him for jobs - a guy who couldn't coach a pig to sh1t. I think we kidded ourselves into thinking he was doing an alright job when abroad they were looking on and going WTF?

Have to say this is sad though. You'd have thought some English championship side or pro D2 outfit would given him a job. He can't be asking for crazy money now can he?
                            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

From reading the above it appears he's taken the post up on a voluntary basis, so I'd imagine it's a very hands-off advisory role to assist a developing nation.

From what I've heard about him it's more to do with his ability to work with people on a personal level that's costing him, rather than his technical ability as a coach. The IRFU certainly aren't fans anyway.

While I'm here, "the Moufflons" is an absolutely superb nickname for a team.
                              "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Working...
                              X