Ire v's France - team post #222

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ire v's France - team post #222

Well with the Championship gone now it's about time to build for the future and for that reason I'd drop nearly everyone over 30 from the squad and pick the following team.

Killer, Best, Ross (exception as without him against France it could be like Eng last year and would kill the backs.)
    Henderson, Ryan
    POM, SOB, Heaslip
    Murray, Sexton/Jackson (assuming Sexton is fit)
    Earls, Marshall, BOD (need 1 experienced back), Gilroy
    Kearney

McGrath, Sherry, Archer, Toner, Murphy, Marmion, Jackson/Keatley, Luke

Subs bench is being picked to give guys 15/20 mins experience. I'm not too worried about winning but would like to see a performance that might bode well going forward.

build for the future
    Thought thats what we were doing for the past 3 years? Is there an actual future or is the plan just endless transition like Arsenal to shield ourselves from the reality that we aren't good enough?

Beating France is a rarity, many players in our squad will have never done so. The psychological boost of doing so would be far greater than blooding some more lads in defeat. Not to mention our fairly poor record in the Aviva, about time we were turning that place into something intimidating. Losing 3 out of our 4 home games this season with an already poor recent home record would be extremely poor.

Comment

Throw caution to the wind and start with a few other young guns like he done with Paddy Jackson at the weekend. An outing against the French in Dublin will stand them in good stead. People say that props only learn to get better with on the job training. Why not for the rest of the positions? Everyone knows France will break their duck with Ireland. Some things never change. I hope I'm wrong.
      Deccie can't do anymore damage to his reputation after the weekend, so he may as well go for it. Plus, the World Cup draw is done and dusted so one less thing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
        Well with the Championship gone now it's about time to build for the future and for that reason I'd drop nearly everyone over 30 from the squad and pick the following team.

Killer, Best, Ross (exception as without him against France it could be like Eng last year and would kill the backs.)
        Henderson, Ryan
        POM, SOB, Heaslip
        Kearney

Subs bench is being picked to give guys 15/20 mins experience. I'm not too worried about winning but would like to see a performance that might bode well going forward.
        There is prize money involved for the IRFU from every match.We will not see a weakened 23 IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
          There is prize money involved for the IRFU from every match.We will not see a weakened 23 IMO.
          But you can't buy that type of exposure for younger players.

Any idea how much the prize money is for winning a match? Can't find anything on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterLux View Post
            But you can't buy that type of exposure for younger players
            You can buy **** all of anything when you have no money.

I am certain on the prize money .

Comment

Henderson, Ryan
              POM, SOB, Heaslip
              Kearney

I am a big fan of Archer, who has come on no end this season, and McGrath who has got stacks of potential but I think it is a bit early to be taking on Domingo and Mas myself. Declan Fitz has not done anything wrong, he has only had 90 seconds to even try in one game, so think it would be unfair for him to lose his spot. Agree with the sentiment of the post however and would certainly like to see Henderson starting ahead of DOC, who is a bench player now and a very good one at that. I am not sure how fit Ryan was on sunday, if you have back issues, as I do, you can normally spot them in others!! I would certainly like to see Marmion involved but pigs will fly before that happens. Is Sexton expected to be fit?

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                You can buy **** all of anything when you have no money.
                As the lady with teeth in her vagina said, it's a vicious circle.

Comment

Henderson, Ryan
                  POM, SOB, Heaslip
                  Kearney

Wouldn't have POM near the team unless we literally have no one else. Would keep Jackson but promote Madigan to the bench and bring him on for a 30min cameo.

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterLux View Post

Any idea how much the prize money is for winning a match? Can't find anything on the net.
                    £12 million fund.£3.7million if you win 6 nations (£4.5million if you achieve a slam). Bottom place gets £0.75 million,the rest fall in between.
                    Thats in sterling as well not euros.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                      Thought thats what we were doing for the past 3 years? Is there an actual future or is the plan just endless transition like Arsenal to shield ourselves from the reality that we aren't good enough?
                      Sorry Dowlinz but there is no way even the most warped mind could vision what was done in the last couple of seasons as rebuilding. Quite the opposite in fact, we stuck with old, tired and declining players until their bodies just gave out. What we are doing now is 'rebuilding' although it's been in a large part forced on us by injuries and old players just not being up to it anymore.

For France, I hope Kidney keeps the faith with the youngsters. I would consider strongly introducing a goal kicker though to allow Jackson concentrate on his overall game without this aspect to worry him. I'd have gone for Madigan against Scotland but ditching Jackson now would be a very bad call (and it would be unlike Kidney to do so). McFadden (even though he's not a wing IMO) for Earls is the call I'd make just to take over kicking. I'd make a strong case for Henderson & DO'C swapping places. We could do with Hendersons energy and strenght on the pitch from the start. Otherwise, same team; Madigan to come into squad for ROG.

Nothing to lose now. everyone is expecting a fairly handy French win. Let the young players play without fear, IMO the result doesn't matter a jot, the performance of individuals & units does.
                      Last edited by Mcork; 25th-February-2013, 15:24.
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Steve Walsh junior is reffing so it could be a decent game of rugby if the weather is good. Hopefully, most of Quinnie's corporate pals won't bother turning up.
                        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork View Post
                          Sorry Dowlinz but there is no way even the most warped mind could vision what was done in the last couple of seasons as rebuilding. Quite the opposite in fact, we stuck with old, tired and declining players until their bodies just gave out. What we are doing now is 'rebuilding' although it's been in a large part forced on us by injuries and old players just not being up to it anymore.
                          rebuilding should have been done on the summer tour.
                          Summer tour should not have been a tri nations country.
                          That tour denied us any development strategy, and also
                          humiliated our (partly) top first XV.

Who decided we go on that tour? In hindsight, the fault
                          lies with this person, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork View Post
                            Both Sexton and Murray were parachuted into starting positions when neither were the best in the country at the time. We started the campaign with young wings, we've moved away from the POC/DOC partnership, moved from a munster frontrow to a mostly leinster one. Not sure how you could say we haven't attempted to transition since the grandslam when only 4 players who started against Wales in 2009 started against Wales in 2013.
                            I would say Kidney's era will be remembered as a failed attempt to transition from a very strong Munster core. To say he hasn't tried to move away from that core would be very strange seeing as none of them remain.

Comment

The IRB sets the tour schedule, mcmtmolloy, SFAIK.
                              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Working...
                              X