Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do we need to beat Scotland by?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do we need to beat Scotland by?

We will probably need to beat Scotland by about 20 points to keep the championship alive for us and put some pressure on England and then match what they do against Italy and France and of course hope they lose to Wales.

When Kidney says the championship is still open that is what Ireland must be planning for - whatever their public utterances are - and that will confirmed when and if England beat France the day before. With Sexton, Zebo and Healy out -the handicap betting is +4 Scotland.

3 narrow wins and 2nd place is realsistically what we are playing for now - so on balance it is better to experiment a bit with the team rather than plod on as we are - apart from getting a win against France (because of our embarassing stats) we can risk a loss to to Italy or Scotland - 2nd or 3rd place is no big deal.
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

I'd be happy with a win in Scotland,the way things are going.
    Last edited by taz; 12th-February-2013, 10:48.

Comment

I'd be happy with a loss, provided we showed some leadership from the spine
      of the team, and the emergence of a viable no 10 other than rog/sexto.

Comment

Thats the key for me, alot of people pointing the finger of blame on the management, but we have very experienced players on our team. I am not letting Kideny totally off the hook, but we all know that his coaching style is one of player responsability and playing as you see it.
        Our Senior players went missing for large parts of the game on Sunday.

Comment

One ****ty afternoon in Dublin and it's all wailing and gnashing of teeth. We produced our best rugby in a long while at the tail end of the Autumn and in Cardiff. We have the best scrum in the championship. We're playing new locks, a new blindside, two new wingers and suddenly the calls are for sweeping the decks?

Sexton willl be a big loss (if he's out). Killer will replace Healy. If we'd been going to Edinburgh after Cardiff we'd have been looking for a win, and we should be looking for one in a fortnight.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
            One ****ty afternoon in Dublin and it's all wailing and gnashing of teeth. We produced our best rugby in a long while at the tail end of the Autumn and in Cardiff. We have the best scrum in the championship. We're playing new locks, a new blindside, two new wingers and suddenly the calls are for sweeping the decks?

Sexton willl be a big loss (if he's out). Killer will replace Healy. If we'd been going to Edinburgh after Cardiff we'd have been looking for a win, and we should be looking for one in a fortnight.
            Would agree with all that if it wasn't odds on that ROG will be starting.

Comment

1 point or more. Thread.
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

I'm not saying we should clear the decks at all, we can't afford to clear the decks, but we need the players to step up to the plate. Best has certainly stepped up, O'Driscoll is always there for us, but we need Heaslip, Kearney, McCarthy, Darcy etc etc to step up. Ryan also was quiet for me on Sunday, but maybe he was injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
                  I'm not saying we should clear the decks at all, we can't afford to clear the decks, but we need the players to step up to the plate. Best has certainly stepped up, O'Driscoll is always there for us, but we need Heaslip, Kearney, McCarthy, Darcy etc etc to step up. Ryan also was quiet for me on Sunday, but maybe he was injured.

Agree completely, Bitter - wasn't aiming that comment at you. There's been a few calls across a few threads for us to experiment, be bold and all the rest but I think our selection is there or thereabouts. I'd probably give Jackson a run in Edinburgh on balance, but I don't think we've got a test fly half waiting in the wings being blocked, so the difference will be marginal.

All in, we should be going to Edinburgh looking to win. Any of our FH options is a match for Jackson.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

It would seem almost inconcievable that Kidney wont start Rog but if England have brushed France aside and we need even more that 20 points against Scotland then the championship will be over us and he should at least bring on Jackson very early (though I would prefer Madigan) and experiment at centre (in some shape of form). Fitzgerald looks really good at the moment and he should be given another run. Would love to Iain Henderson having a galllop at some stage.

To struggle to a narrow win with nothing riding on the game will be depressing - much better to keep one eye on development even if Kidney takes a (further) dent in his win stats.
                    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                      1 point or more. Thread.
                      Actually one point is enough.

Comment

After a fup up, it always seems to come down to advanced algebra with Ireland if we're to win. Bloody tiresome at this stage.

On a side note, I got a lovely brochure asking me if I'd be interested in parting with 4500€ or 9000€ for 5 or 10 year IRFU membership thingy. Delivered in a gold envelope too. It must have cost a pretty penny to print. Looks like they were banking on Ireland to win against England and take advantage of the Monday morning fervour. The enclosed letter from Philip Browne opened with "With the recession now behind us, let us look forward…".

The last sentence is made up.

Comment

Scotland seem a massive banana skin to me, they've scored tries out wide and looked good for their win against the Italians.

They also managed to score points against England, which is something we couldn't really manage. Not sure I agree with the sentiment of totting up points aggregates prior to the game, I dont really rate Johnson but they seem more unified and buying into an approach than they have for years.
                          I am the million man.

Comment

3-13 to 2-8 should do it.
                            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Agreed......we'll be happy/lucky to get out of murrayfield with a win
                              "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Working...
                              X