Ireland v England, 3pm Sunday Feb10th 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland v England, 3pm Sunday Feb10th 2013

Injuries permitting, no changes to the starting XV.

At least they know they can defend like monsters, the concentration was top notch across the full 80 yesterday, but for two different reasons: Attack in the 1st and Defend in the 2nd.

The one thing I'd really hope to see is an improvement in game management when we have the ball under pressure, we reverted to blappng their high balls toward the 22 aimlessly when the heat was on after minute 50. Teams know if they kick it deep to us we'll not do a whole lot with it.

If we're achieving parity on the floor with England then sending one of the back row back to either support, or destroy by running the ball back at them, especially with freight trains the like of Tank and POM should be used more often.

Scotland didnt provide a whole heap to the game yesterday, they were gamey but never tried to stranglehold England. Johnson and Dean Ryan is an odd combo, but thats for a different thread.

Hon Ireland
    I am the million man.

With the same team we can beat them and with some confidence as well. We've reached a state like a few years ago where a few players are irreplaceable, namely Ross, D'arcy, Sexton and BOD. We suddenly become a much weaker side without any of those, particularly Ross and D'arcy where nobody even knows who our backup 3 and 12 are.

On the subject did anyone catch Frankie mentioning Archer in relation to the what if scenario of a Ross injury? Is he taking the piss, off his head or flaunting a client?

Comment

Think they have a better and deeper bench than we do Dowlinz, they can bring on lads that are not far off as good as the starting 15.

We take a dip in certain enforced substitutions
      I am the million man.

Comment

I've seen them a few times, and they pound the **** out of you for 60 mins. They blow hard in the last 20 though.

It will be a tough task, but I'm confident that if we are within a score of them coming up to the last quarter we will win.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Earls in for Gilroy.

Court onto the bench for Kilcoyne
          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
            Earls in for Gilroy.

Court onto the bench for Kilcoyne
            Why? on both counts
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
              Why? on both counts
              Gilroy was good in defence but didn't do much little else. He kicked 5 times badly back to the opposition in the second half. One of which led to a try. You just can't do that at this level.

Court is a better scrummager then Kilcoyne in my view and thats what we need next weekend. Horses for courses. the following week could be different.

Way too much fanfare about yesterday IMO. That second half performance was every bit as bad as we've played in the last 15 months and a repeat next Sunday will ensure the GS dream is over.

Had Wales a smidgeon of conviction yesterday they could have won that game with the amount of ball we gave them in the second half.

We should have put 50 on them and lessened the physical toll by holding onto the ball.
              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Its the lack of impact of the bench that's key for me....

DOC while he has been great this year is not an impact player....Ryan or mike mc are more impact type players...not suggesting we swap them round...but just a general observation...

Killer has more impact than Court but i know where Cowboy is coming from...

Fitzpatrick is no brainer ...he has to be there...

if it same xv....i just don't agree with having rog on bench....don't get me wrong he will be there....

But id rather see a guy who play 10..who's not as good as Rog but not far off.......but is a way better options at 12 if needed...

Its not a slight on rog...he only gves one option or in yesterdays case...no.option....and in the most physical of fixtures next week he won't be a option either.

But it won't happen.
                "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

How typical of our luck is it that D'arcy after nigh on 2 seasons in dreadful forms starts resembling the player of yore and then gets injured. After the 1st game of last years, there would have been widespread relief if he had been declared forfeit. Yesterday our defence was rock solid. I wouldn't blame Earls for the fact that we struggled in defense when he came on. Neither himself or BOD have experience defending that 12 chanel. They managed admirably in the end but had way too much defending to do due to our insistence on aimlessly kicking the ball back to them.

Interesting to see who will line up at 12 v England

Gilroy is a young player and he'll hopefully have registered the fact that he should have held on to the ball and looked for support instead of just riding himself of the ball. If there is a kick, it needs lenght and accuracy. I certainly wouldn't drop him though. Overall he was good and we need to show faith in these players.
                  Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                    Its the lack of impact of the bench that's key for me....

DOC while he has been great this year is not an impact player....Ryan or mike mc are more impact type players...not suggesting we swap them round...but just a general observation...

Killer has more impact than Court but i know where Cowboy is coming from...

Fitzpatrick is no brainer ...he has to be there...

if it same xv....i just don't agree with having rog on bench....don't get me wrong he will be there....

But id rather see a guy who play 10..who's not as good as Rog but not far off.......but is a way better options at 12 if needed...

Its not a slight on rog...he only gves one option or in yesterdays case...no.option....and in the most physical of fixtures next week he won't be a option either.

But it won't happen.
                    If we're chasing a game ROG to 10 with Sexton to 12 is a fine option as it improves our attacking options with ball in hand, as it did against NZ. If we're leading a game and comfortable then the switch is also a fine option with ROG's ability to control and see out a game as it was against OZ. Where it's not appropriate is when we're leading and its not comfortable, its backs against the walls all out defence and we need our best defenders out there, like it was yesterday but Reddan also isn't an appropriate player to bring on in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                      If we're chasing a game ROG to 10 with Sexton to 12 is a fine option as it improves our attacking options with ball in hand, as it did against NZ. If we're leading a game and comfortable then the switch is also a fine option with ROG's ability to control and see out a game as it was against OZ. Where it's not appropriate is when we're leading and its not comfortable, its backs against the walls all out defence and we need our best defenders out there, like it was yesterday but Reddan also isn't an appropriate player to bring on in that case.

Agreed....your right reddan falls into that category with rog....
                      "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Marshall at 12 if Darcy is injured. Move Earls to the wing in place of Gilroy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
                          Marshall at 12 if Darcy is injured. Move Earls to the wing in place of Gilroy.
                          Marshall is injured ( i think)

Comment

Yup.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                              Marshall is injured ( i think)
                              Thought he might be back by now.

Comment

Working...
                              X