Peter O'Mahony
    Eoin Reddan
    Mike Ross
    Donnacha Ryan
    Jonathan Sexton
    Mike Sherry
    Devin Toner
    Simon Zebo

A few selection decisions to be made - wingers and back-rows. Some doubts about who will be subbing too.

Wales will be missing some lock-forwards, Lydiate and Priestland, but will otherwise be close to full strength. Confidence will be a little lower than last year. First game up is probably the best time to play them.

The winger selection is going to be interesting, back row probably heaslip SOB Henry with POM first sub.

I reckon he will go for Fitzgerald and gilroy, but it's a tough call

What? Zebo and Fitz i meant.
    Last edited by lawrence; 27th-January-2013, 21:01.

Comment

Don't think he can look past Zebo after last weekend - his confidence will be sky high
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

The wings willbe Zebo and either Fitzgerald/Trimble with earls probably on the bench
        The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
          The wings willbe Zebo and either Fitzgerald/Trimble with earls probably on the bench
          Should be Earls & Zebo. Earls playing 13 for Munster is going to hurt his international career.

Comment

11 Zebo
            14 Keet
            15 Kearnage

2 siege gun boots and a try machine in Earls on the wing.
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
              Trimble isn't in the 33-man squad. Wings will probably be Gilroy and Zebo, which would leave Fitzgerald, Earls and McFadden competing for the bench spot.

Comment

Dissapointed the TOD didn't make the training squad. Looked Solid the weekend and is young enough to fit into Irelands next WC Plans.
                The problem with this world is there are too many snakes... and not enough Ladders!
                Originally posted by joconnell
                If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comment

Probably should have read the squad properly, Zebo and Luke so on the wings,

luke has been good since he came back and Earls has had very little time on the wing this year.
                  The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
                    Should be Earls & Zebo. Earls playing 13 for Munster is going to hurt his international career.
                    That depends on two factors. How long DK remains as top dog, and whether this is BODs last season or not, he is getting very close to the end of his career. At the moment Earls distribution is not quite good enough for OC at international level. Would still expect to see him on the wing with Zebo and Kearney.
                    IMO Ireland's biggest issue in the backs is Darcy, will it be a case of his one good performance in five keeping him in the team indefinitely.
                    The fixture set up could not be better for us. Wales in poor order first up after the AI. Win that and the spring opens up beautifully infront of us. Could be along time waiting for a chance as good as this again. Before anyone thinks I'm being arrogant I'm not is just that I don't see the other teams as any good either.
                    Definition of Insanity. Playing the same game plan over and over again expecting a different result.

Comment

Combined total of Wesh (x 3 teams) wins in HEC this season = 3 i.e. the same as our weakest representative Connacht.
                      A 16.6% win ratio (3/18) versus a 66.7 (16/24) for 4 Irish teams. Average brought down by Connachts meagre 50% win ratio. There should be little doubt about the result on Saturday but somehow I doubt there will be any over-confidence considering this teams abilty to simply not turn up on the big occasion.

The players at Kidney's disposal seem to be in reasonable form although some are undoubtably undercooked (BO'D, Kearney, SO'B, Best) although 1st up Wales have the same problems.

Kidney can't afford a loss in this one. There can be no excuses (even though Poite is the ref I believe which is usually a valid one for Irish teams). He either delivers a win or his resignation for this match. It's as simple as that really.
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork View Post
                        Combined total of Wesh (x 3 teams) wins in HEC this season = 3 i.e. the same as our weakest representative Connacht.
                        A 16.6% win ratio (3/18) versus a 66.7 (16/24) for 4 Irish teams. Average brought down by Connachts meagre 50% win ratio. There should be little doubt about the result on Saturday but somehow I doubt there will be any over-confidence considering this teams abilty to simply not turn up on the big occasion.

The players at Kidney's disposal seem to be in reasonable form although some are undoubtably undercooked (BO'D, Kearney, SO'B, Best) although 1st up Wales have the same problems.

Kidney can't afford a loss in this one. There can be no excuses (even though Poite is the ref I believe which is usually a valid one for Irish teams). He either delivers a win or his resignation for this match. It's as simple as that really.

You overlook the 'club Wales' mindset all too lightly. They don't give a fiddlers about the regions, ask any Walian, it is ALL about the national side and playing for it. They jump about 5 levels in terms of performance the second they get into the Millenium. The tri nations sides merely outskill them usually, and Samoa and Fiji have taken to knocking as many of them out as they can get away with.

This aint no cakewalk.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

This aint no cakewalk.
                          Never said it would be and Wales do have a decent team. However 4 losses in a row against them would not be acceptable and it would destroy morale. A huge huge game. The single biggest game since 2009, same fixture at the same venue. However for the coaching team, there is a lot more riding on this one in many ways.
                          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

My guess at the team

15 Rob Kearney
                            14 Simon Zebo
                            13 Brian O'Driscoll
                            12 Gordon D'Arcy
                            11 Craig Gilroy
                            10 Jonathan Sexton
                            9 Conor Murray
                            8 Jamie Heaslip (c)
                            7 Chris Henry
                            6 Sean O'Brien
                            5 Mike McCarthy
                            4 Donnacha Ryan
                            3 Mike Ross
                            2 Rory Best
                            1 Cian Healy.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 David Kilcoyne, 18 Michael Bent, 19 Donncha O'Callaghan, 20 Peter O'Mahony, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Ronan O'Gara, 23 Keith Earls

Kidney tends to side with international form over historic reputation or what they're doing for their club so could see Gilroy and Henry holding their places over POM and Earls. Likewise retaining the locks who played well in the autumn even though DOC has done little wrong. Kidney will probably side with Kilcoyne over Court for bench impact and I don't think he'll abandon the Bent project despite whats been happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork View Post
                              Never said it would be and Wales do have a decent team. However 4 losses in a row against them would not be acceptable and it would destroy morale. A huge huge game. The single biggest game since 2009, same fixture at the same venue. However for the coaching team, there is a lot more riding on this one in many ways.

Agree entirely.

The Welsh management are hanging crepe with the injuries (usual deflect and distract tactic) but they'll be seriously gung ho to make up for a miserable November series.

Having said all that, no country is fueled on confidence more. The peacocks of rugby.
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                              X