PUMA end Irish deal 4 years early

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PUMA end Irish deal 4 years early

Rugby: Puma have prematurely cancelled Irish rugby's lucrative kit deal a year early. The German sportswear brand took the decision in December, four years into a five year multi-million euro contract.
    This will be officially confirmed after this afternoon's IRFU committee meeting and means the union must find a new kit sponsor before the November 2013 internationals.
    Puma have explained their decision to leave the Irish market as “strategic”.
    Several Irish players - including current national captain Jamie Heaslip, Tommy Bowe and Luke Fitzgerald - were on five-figure boot deals, which also ended in 2012.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rug...329239698.html

Strange. There must have been an opt out after 3 years.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
      Rugby: Puma have prematurely cancelled Irish rugby's lucrative kit deal a year early. The German sportswear brand took the decision in December, four years into a five year multi-million euro contract.
      This will be officially confirmed after this afternoon's IRFU committee meeting and means the union must find a new kit sponsor before the November 2013 internationals.
      Puma have explained their decision to leave the Irish market as “strategic”.
      Several Irish players - including current national captain Jamie Heaslip, Tommy Bowe and Luke Fitzgerald - were on five-figure boot deals, which also ended in 2012.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rug...329239698.html
      I presume that deal was done just after the 2009 GS win? If it was, you'd imagine the IRFU extracted a hefty premium on the back of the GS. If they did, then it's not inconceivable that Puma are fed up with the return they have generated given Ireland's form since then.

Equally, it may just be that they now consider Rugby to be non-core and so are pulling out. It will be interesting to see if some other Union/big club/province picks them up.

Anyways, I always much preferred the Canterbury gear, particularly the GS strip.

Comment

Wonder if O'Neills will try to get in on the act, there would be something quaint about an Irish company supplying shirts for the Ireland team.
        I am one of the 5 clowns woo hoo

Comment

Originally posted by DONC View Post
          Wonder if O'Neills will try to get in on the act, there would be something quaint about an Irish company supplying shirts for the Ireland team.
          It's all about the beans. They'll wear sack cloths if the money is right.

I can't see O'Neills having that kind of money.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
            It's all about the beans. They'll wear sack cloths if the money is right.

I can't see O'Neills having that kind of money.
            Would be great to see an Irish company get that contract. Their Harlequins and Cork Con gear is decent. Could see Nike or Adidas sweep in on the deal first though. Was never a big fan of the puma gear anyway.

Comment

Well that AI black jersey was definitely a once off then!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
                Well that AI black jersey was definitely a once off then!
                Awaiting the 2013 AI Irish purple kit

Comment

Must say im delighted . . .hated their gear . . . .can say I like Adidas either.

Comment

Admiral are favourites to take over.
                    We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                    Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                      Must say im delighted . . .hated their gear . . . .can say I like Adidas either.
                      Same here. Both make me light up like a Christmas tree with static shocks, due to the cheap polyester.

(First world problems, compared to their controversial manufacturing of same, I'll admit ... )

Comment

Originally posted by Breadscrum View Post
                        Would be great to see an Irish company get that contract. Their Harlequins and Cork Con gear is decent. Could see Nike or Adidas sweep in on the deal first though. Was never a big fan of the puma gear anyway.
                        o neills have being growing steadly in the uk rugby market in union and league,their gear is of the highest quality,they did the irish jersey many moons ago...shannon rfc also also use o neills kit

Comment

Will Nike dip their toe in Irish waters again?

Added to that O'Neills do make the worlds coolest rugby shirt's either would be great as our second shirt

http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/...-old-boys.html
                          I am one of the 5 clowns woo hoo

Comment

Hopefully Nike.

Their tracksuits and off field stuff is the least obscene.
                            I am the million man.

Comment

To be fair Puma have never been that massively rugby so not surprised.
                              \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Working...
                              X