'English' rugby player forced to return home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former England flanker Hendre Fourie has revealed his disappointment at not being able to stay in Britain after his work visa was cancelled.
    South African-born Fourie's contract with Sale was cancelled last week after a shoulder injury forced him to retire. And now that he is not playing professionally, he cannot get a visa to remain in England.
    The 33-year-old, has been playing in England for eight years and has a son who was born in the country during that period.
    Fourie - who represented England in eight Tests - played for Rotherham and Leeds before moving to Sale last season but only made three appearances for the club due to his shoulder injury.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...4292_2,00.html

Horrible situation for him and his family, but surely an even more embarrassing situation for Team England who have to effectively deport one of their 'own' players for not being English.

Shows what an utter ****ing shambles international qualification is these days.

And a disgraceful act to seek to deport him.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
      Shows what an utter ****ing shambles international qualification is these days.

And a disgraceful act to seek to deport him.
      Should think they are itching for the RFU to fall into the trap and start a row which will allow them to scapegoat Hendrie.

Comment

Who?

Comment

Re: 'English' rugby player forced to return home

He was in the UK for 8 years. That was plenty of time for him to sort out a long term visa if he wanted to remain.

To be fair, I am coming round to the idea that, as a mimimum, you should have indefinate leave to remain in a country before you can represent that country.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
            He was in the UK for 8 years. That was plenty of time for him to sort out a long term visa if he wanted to remain.

To be fair, I am coming round to the idea that, as a mimimum, you should have indefinate leave to remain in a country before you can represent that country.
            Technically though, you cannot have indefinite leave to live in England because England is not a country which is the loophole the IRB has to deal with to be fair to them. As you say, Fitzy he had plenty of time to sort stuff out though so only really has himself to blame.

Comment

added this comment on other thread, surely it raises the issue of wanting to "represent" a country without wanting to apply for the relevant citizenship, should you be allowed to represent a country while preserving your status as a citizen of a different country?
              \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                Technically though, you cannot have indefinite leave to live in England because England is not a country which is the loophole the IRB has to deal with to be fair to them. As you say, Fitzy he had plenty of time to sort stuff out though so only really has himself to blame.
                ??
                A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                  ??
                  I presume it's to do with the fact that you don't become a citizen of England as such but become a citizen of the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Cianostays View Post
                    I presume it's to do with the fact that you don't become a citizen of England as such but become a citizen of the UK.
                    Yes, indefinate leave to remain in the UK.

One wonders if any of the Ulster Saffa contingent might have similar issues in the future.

Comment

Yes, indefinate leave to remain in the UK.

One wonders if any of the Ulster Saffa contingent might have similar issues in the future.
                      What about our own?

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                        added this comment on other thread, surely it raises the issue of wanting to "represent" a country without wanting to apply for the relevant citizenship, should you be allowed to represent a country while preserving your status as a citizen of a different country?
                        The problem is obviously that different countries have different durations and qualifying criteria before making you a citizen. Also there would be nothing stopping say France fast tracking sportspeople into becoming citizens after a year.

I like to see a dual pronged approach - you must be resident for at least three years and have indefinate leave to remain in that country.

I wouldnt really be that bothered about what passport(s) the player has.

Comment

The problem is obviously that different countries have different durations and qualifying criteria before making you a citizen. Also there would be nothing stopping say France fast tracking sportspeople into becoming citizens after a year.

I like to see a dual pronged approach - you must be resident for at least three years and have indefinate leave to remain in that country.

I wouldnt really be that bothered about what passport(s) the player has.
                          I do because of one thing, we need to be honest now. Are you representing your nation or just getting paid to do a job. It's one or the other, or at least should be, not the fudge whereby you can claim to represent your nation but actually you hold a completely different nationality. That's just nonsense however you look at it and is the fundamental problem with where we've now got. When you now get players (as they do) openly admitting they just see it as a chance to play rugby at the highest level then the IRB perhaps need to just admit it's not a match between national teams, it's a whoever one union can get to play for them against the same from another union. Basically stop calling it the Irish national team and just admit it's a selection.

In terms of nationality, I don't believe anyone has ridiculously long that the IRB couldn't say you must be anywhere longer than (for arguments sake) 5 years to qualify.
                          \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Because England, Wales, Scotland and, to an extent Ireland (because it is an all Island team) do not exercise control over their nationality at a legal level the whole system is reliant on goodwill and honesty. It is open to all levels of abuse. I don't know what the situation is in the UK regarding grand parents and passports but because one grand parent qualifies some one for a passport in some countries that are part of the IRB (Ireland for example) I would assume the IRB have to have that as a blanket sanction for everyone. Obviously residency is a different issue but it must be the case that in some countries, members of the IRB, three years residency qualifies someone for nationality so that has to be the IRB ruling; I suppose it could be called the lowest common denominator residency rule.

It is not perfect but I don't really see a way around it, I suppose I would just hope that people would not be so cynical about something so fundamental to their identity and I appreciate the irony of someone with my moniker passing such a judgement!?!?!??

Comment

The problem as I see it is one of rugby tourism. Typically SH players not good enought to pay for the country of their birth suddenly discover an English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish grandparent and declare for that country without ever identifying with that country on an emotional basis.

The worst are the IRFU. They actively sought Strauss and Stander and signed them to potentially play for Ireland at a future date. Strauss may know the words to and sing the national anthem, but he is not an Irishman. None of this is against IRB rules.

At least Barrit and co.in England arrived to play club rugby and "qualified" for England through the residency rule. They are not Englishmen

Comment

Working...
                              X