Ireland V Wales Under 20 International 31-03-2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland V Wales Under 20 International 31-03-2000

I was clearing out a room at home lately and came across a 'program' i.e. basic team sheet for an Under 20 international played in TP on 31st March 2000 V Wales. As I recall Wales were going for a second Grand Slam in 2 years that evening, and we beat them. It is interesting to look at that Irish team and reserves from this remove:

15. Gordon Darcy (L); 14 Andy Dunne (L); 13. Paddy Wallace (U); 12. Shane Moore (L) captain; 11. Simon Keogh (L); 10. Jeremy Staunton (M); 9. Kieran Campbell (Ex/LI); 1.Noel Foxe (L); 2. Adrian Flavin (Ex/LI); 3. Niall Treston (L); 4. Donnacha O'Callaghan (M); 5. Paul O'Connell (M); 6. John Skurr (Ex); 7. Andrew Hughes (U); 8. Chris McCarey (U).

Replacements: Ben Urquhart (L); Frankie Roche (M); Andrew O'Brien (L); Aidan Kearney (L); Kieran Lewis (L); Mossie Lawlor (M); James Norton (L).

The Wales team and replacements included some players who made a career in the pro game - backs Jamie Robinson, Mark Jones, Gareth Cooper, Ceri Sweeney; and forwards Alix Popham, Michael Owen, Robert Sidoli. The replacements included one James Jones (surely not!).

It is fascinating looking at these squads how players do or do not 'make it' in the pro game. Of course in 2000 the academy systems were in their infancy, and the pro career path was not quite so apparent. Still it is interesting how some Irish players have had substantial careers in the pro game - D'Arcy, Wallace, Staunton, Flavin, POC, DOC,, Lewis, Mossie Lawlor and how many seem to have been AIL players only. The great mystery is Campbell, who looked that night like he would be an Ireland 9 for the next decade, but who seems to have disappeared after a fitful career mostly on the fringes. Tries were scored by Dunne, Staunton (looking like a strong competitor in Munster and Ireland to ROG) and Treston. I see that I had placed asterisks beside two names as the games major figures - Campbell and POC. My menory is that Owen came on for Wales, as the new messiah of Welsh forward play, and while fielding a drop off by Staunton, POC appeared from nowhere like a red headed maniac (even poking out from under the helmet) and drove him off his feet and over the sideline and almost over the old low wall in TP on the stand/West side.

Does anyone know what happened to some of those named like Skurr, Treston (who played really well) etc?

Treston plays AIL with Clontarf

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
      Treston plays AIL with Clontarf
      IIRC he had a brief time in/out of Leinster squad I thought he had injury problems.
      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Shane Moore X connacht spent time in the states after then came home to work with Anglo. His just recently gone with the family to live in Dubai
        When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Ireland by 3. The ref will probably screw us though. Great to see these youngsters getting gametime.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Treston suffered a very bad break of his leg in November 2003 [source: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...ry-195425.html and http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...re-146553.html ] which ended up needing six operations to get right.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugonaut View Post
              Treston suffered a very bad break of his leg in November 2003 [source: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...ry-195425.html and http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...re-146553.html ] which ended up needing six operations to get right.
              Was Treston also in a band and had to retire. Like Bresie
              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Simon Keogh is a qualified solicitor now as far as I know.
                "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                  Was Treston also in a band and had to retire. Like Bresie
                  Dont think so, he works with a stockbroking firm in Dublin. Retired from rugby last season.

Comment

John Skurr is the Irish Women's Sevens coach - IIRC he has also coached the Ireland Men's Sevens......

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/26683.php
                    Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

Lewis played for Munster before injury put paid to that. There's a class of campaign telling me I should say goodbye to P. O'Connell. I'd sooner say hello.
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Apologies for the bump, and the slight change of topic. I just came across shots of the 2009 U-20 squad. its shocking how few of them are playing at the highest level today - a lesson in how hard it is to make it a senior level and how early promise usually doesn't carry through.

http://www.inpho.ie/app/WebObjects/I...vesRha29d1ZE.a

Comment

Working...
                        X