Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Shirts and Dodgy Anthems Play Part in English Defeat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Purple Shirts and Dodgy Anthems Play Part in English Defeat

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...gs-matter.html


    Brian Moore saying that the purple kit and the screeched version of GSTQ helped England turn in an underwhelming performance against Australia.

    I remember watching the buildup to that game and remarking how nice the new white England shirts that they had in the team line up screen was. Then they ran out in the purple nightmare. Damsons in distress.

    I think he has a point - that the anthems and the shirt add an intangible percentage point to the performance.

    How important is tradition? Is morkeshing actually hampering teams performances?
    To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

    #2
    Must admit when I saw the English kit I thought I'd gone colour blind for a minute. Horrible doesn't even begin to describe it.
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

    Comment


      #3
      I just saw the highlights today.... not sure why they bothered with the kit..

      in an aside... maybe we should have a brianMoore thread... there seems to be a lot of his stuff in the database, under no particular guidance..
      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

      Comment


        #4
        I was at the game, and bought a ref link. Poite kept calling England "pink" as in "use ze ball, pink".

        I laughed and laughed all day long ..
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
          http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...gs-matter.html


          Brian Moore saying that the purple kit and the screeched version of GSTQ helped England turn in an underwhelming performance against Australia.

          I remember watching the buildup to that game and remarking how nice the new white England shirts that they had in the team line up screen was. Then they ran out in the purple nightmare. Damsons in distress.

          I think he has a point - that the anthems and the shirt add an intangible percentage point to the performance.

          How important is tradition? Is morkeshing actually hampering teams performances?
          In the end of the day its commericalism. If Nike say play in pink and purple with yellow spots all over it, the team will do just that.

          That being said - no pun intended here - a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. I dont see how the colours making a difference in terms of the performance
          "The Munster fans are probably the best fans in Europe in any sport" - John Hayes. 26/12/2011 after his last ever match.

          Comment


            #6
            Interestingly 55% of the readers votes from that reputable media outlet believe the kits were responsible for the defeat.

            Comment


              #7
              Purple Shirts and Dodgy Anthems Play Part in English Defeat

              Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
              Interestingly 55% of the readers votes from that reputable media outlet believe the kits were responsible for the defeat.
              Thank The Lord it wasn't down to them just being a bit sh'te!!??!!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                Thank The Lord it wasn't down to them just being a bit sh'te!!??!!
                to be fair it wasn't, it was also down to Australia being significantly better in the breakdown area
                \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                Comment


                  #9
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-11-19 at 18.14.47.png
Views:	1
Size:	532.0 KB
ID:	2471393

                  A horror showClick image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-11-19 at 18.18.28.png
Views:	1
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	2471394
                  Last edited by FORWARD....; 19th-November-2012, 18:19.
                  "We are going to hope to keep improving the environment in Munster. It’s about improving and setting standards where players and coaches can improve. Hopefully we can offer that more than just money.” Johann Van Graan 20/12/2017

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                    I was at the game, and bought a ref link. Poite kept calling England "pink" as in "use ze ball, pink".

                    I laughed and laughed all day long ..
                    A ref link..?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      England's kit was officially described as "regal purple", in order to reflect their place among the "rugby royalty".....a modest bunch eh?

                      http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/intern...and-australia/
                      If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The dumb in plum stayed glum!
                        Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Confidence is a good thing...but ffs in order to reflect their place among the "rugby royalty" wtf? is there something wrong with the water over there?
                          If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Say what you want about the aussies and that crap manager they have the aussies still run some great tries in, a joy to watch when they are able to compete up front
                            My computer thinks I'm gay
                            What's the difference anyway
                            When all the people do all day
                            Is stare into a phone

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Purple Shirts and Dodgy Anthems Play Part in English Defeat

                              There was a big roar of anticipation for the first scrum, and an audible groan when England got dicked.

                              England weren't that bad, but they made terrible decisions turning down kicks.

                              Still, I can wait for Ross and co to get stuck into their front row at the 6N. Hopefully the demons from last year will be buried ...
                              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X