South African Cheap Shots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South African Cheap Shots

I'm just wondering about other peoples opinions on what I see as the high tendancy of South African teams, especially forwards, to have cheap shots and generally unnecessarily rough play. I would say that a larger than normal percentage of South African players seem to want go out of their way to hurt other players as opposed to the normal cut anf thrust of a rugby match. I'm not referring to hard tough play which they are renowned for, as are other teams and there's no problem with that. It's just that to me they seem to take every opportunity to intimidate and hurt players and I don't think that officials seem to notice, possibly due to the uproar that you get from SA officials when they think that they are being victimised.

I'm just after watching the highlights of Saturday's match and in the few minutes of highlights I spotted:

Sexton getting a shoulder to the head while prone on the ground at a ruck from Du Plessis (I wondered on Saturday why he went down injured and just spotted the reason why).
    Mike McCarthy getting a puck to the face from Etzebeth (?), ironically, at the maul leading to Heaslip yellow, 1.5 mtrs from the touch judge,
    Sexton getting knee to the ribs from SA 6
    Strauss taken out off the ball by De Villiers in open play, with W Barnes no more than 5 mtrs away.

I would also be referring to the previous Lions tour (was that the time that Botha got a suspension for dislocating Adam Jones shoulder at a ruck) and even this summer's Rugby Championship with the elbow Greyling gave to the face of McCaw.

Any thoughts.

Yep, I hear you. It's rough out there.
    Watching the first half of Whales v Bargentina I thought the 'counter-rucking' was more about attempting to harm than attempting to retrieve the ball.
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I thought Van Der Linde was a disgrace. Guess he wanted to show everyone he isn't the useless sack of ****e he was while he was picking up big bucks in Dublin...
      \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
      Dalai Lama

Comment

Would like to see footage of the off the ball scuffles that took place sporadically around the pitch. There was never any replays shown from other camera angles. The boks are all about intimidation and bullying. Dirty f*uckers but thats why i love when we play them. I would like to think we fronted up to them. If only we had poc, ferris and o brien on the pitch. Would have been an interesting battle. McCarthy certainly didnt shirk...

The lions tours to SA are the only lions tours im interested in watching. I love seeing them get beaten.

Comment

We fronted up with a much smaller side and didn't give the feckers and inch. I'm proud of the lads for that. McCarthy also got a bit of (legal) payback on Etzebeth when he cut him in half too.

Barnes should get a kick up the arse for allowing that carry-on (and for condescendingly telling Heaslip that the more he complained the less credible he was becoming). He should have actually listened and paid some attention to what was happening. It's not as if the Boks don't have form.

Comment

Wayne Barnes has to take a serious amount of the blame for a lot if it, all of the things the op mentioned were directly in his path.

I watched the France Aus game and they went at it, but when an Aussie took out the French 6 while waiting to catch a kick off the very same as jp pieterson there were no handbags, punches or shoving because Nigel Owens had stamped his authority on the game long before it

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
              We fronted up with a much smaller side and didn't give the feckers and inch. I'm proud of the lads for that. McCarthy also got a bit of (legal) payback on Etzebeth when he cut him in half too.

Barnes should get a kick up the arse for allowing that carry-on (and for condescendingly telling Heaslip that the more he complained the less credible he was becoming). He should have actually listened and paid some attention to what was happening. It's not as if the Boks don't have form.
              Barnes was 100% correct telling Heaslip to get lost. Just because he is captain doesnt mean he gets to bitch and moan
              My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                Barnes was 100% correct telling Heaslip to get lost. Just because he is captain doesnt mean he gets to bitch and moan
                Just like Poite does to Munster captains? Surely the captain is allowed point out foul play and ask what the ref is going to do about it?

Comment

I think there are ways of subtely handling a ref and moaning constantly isnt one of them, see how JDV approached once towards half time and changed the way Barnes reffed them in the second half.
                  "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
                    Just like Poite does to Munster captains? Surely the captain is allowed point out foul play and ask what the ref is going to do about it?
                    Maybe Wayne didn't like the facial hair.

Comment

Playing against south Africa...brutal physicality and "cheap shots" are the norm....expecting anything less would be naive.
                      "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
                        Not like you to completely miss the point, oh actually...
                        My computer thinks I'm gay
                        What's the difference anyway
                        When all the people do all day
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by BeTheJay View Post
                          I'm just wondering about other peoples opinions on what I see as the high tendancy of South African teams, especially forwards, to have cheap shots and generally unnecessarily rough play. I would say that a larger than normal percentage of South African players seem to want go out of their way to hurt other players as opposed to the normal cut anf thrust of a rugby match. I'm not referring to hard tough play which they are renowned for, as are other teams and there's no problem with that. It's just that to me they seem to take every opportunity to intimidate and hurt players and I don't think that officials seem to notice, possibly due to the uproar that you get from SA officials when they think that they are being victimised.

I'm just after watching the highlights of Saturday's match and in the few minutes of highlights I spotted:

Sexton getting a shoulder to the head while prone on the ground at a ruck from Du Plessis (I wondered on Saturday why he went down injured and just spotted the reason why).
                          Mike McCarthy getting a puck to the face from Etzebeth (?), ironically, at the maul leading to Heaslip yellow, 1.5 mtrs from the touch judge,
                          Sexton getting knee to the ribs from SA 6
                          Strauss taken out off the ball by De Villiers in open play, with W Barnes no more than 5 mtrs away.

I would also be referring to the previous Lions tour (was that the time that Botha got a suspension for dislocating Adam Jones shoulder at a ruck) and even this summer's Rugby Championship with the elbow Greyling gave to the face of McCaw.

Any thoughts.
                          game was full of them, touch judges were right in front of 2 incidents of punches being thrown and did nothing about it, both should have been yellows, the deliberate clattering of Sexton should have been a yellow as well, you could see players reacted straight away to it. Good news was the "hard man" handing out much of this was the one that McCarthy made to look like a 3 stone weakling in a tumble dryer later on, hence why I laughed so hard at it
                          \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                            game was full of them, touch judges were right in front of 2 incidents of punches being thrown and did nothing about it, both should have been yellows, the deliberate clattering of Sexton should have been a yellow as well, you could see players reacted straight away to it. Good news was the "hard man" handing out much of this was the one that McCarthy made to look like a 3 stone weakling in a tumble dryer later on, hence why I laughed so hard at it
                            is there no citing officer at Autumn Internationals?

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                              is there no citing officer at Autumn Internationals?

There is. there was two citings. None mentioned from our game though.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...g-3291903.html
                              Life is good

Comment

Working...
                              X