Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substitution strategy

Is there one?
    I simply do not understand how Irish rugby coaches can not be clear on the importance of tactical substitution or have a coherent policy/strategy to implement or effect changes.
    For years now we have seen the 3-minute cap being given for no apparent reason other than to boost the players pay packet or caps total.
    The Leo Cullen 6-second cap was probably the best of all in that regard.
    Today we say a seriously under-performing Andrew Trimble left on the field about 50 minutes longer than his best before date. Then we saw DOC come on to replace DR for I don't know what - a cup of tea and a sandwich? Then DR came back on for a few minutes before (possibly) our best performing forward was taken off and DOC brought back on. Ryan was totally knackered, McCarthy still looked like he had lots in the tank.
    Ross was totally out on his feet but had to endure until finally Bent was brought on.
    Kilcoyne came on for Healy at the direction of the referee who thought obvioiusly that Healy was suffering a head injury - then that was reversed after a few minutes.
    Kilcoyne was never seen again.
    The team was suffering, had given their all and fresh legs were called for but none were coming until far too late to change the result.
    Then on comes ROG - what for? Seriously? I'm a fan of ROG but even I agree his day is done and he had nothing useful to add at that stage no matter whom he replaced.
    Other than Trimble I'm not complaining about the performances of the players mentioned but for the benefit of the team the changes needed to be made and were not made. It was a serious blind spot for O'Sullivan and it's a serious one for Kidney.
    Anyone who has watched hurling or bogball knows that tactical substitution is not just expected, it's essential. Whether it's for poor performance, change of tactics or fatigue it gets done and players deal with it. - well except for a few Deise hurlers anyway. Why can't Irish rugby coaches apply the same principles?

Couldn't agree more with all of the above Richard. I was watching the game in both frustration & amazement that these guys who were out on their feet after giving thier all were not being called ashore! We had a decent bench who would have been itching to tear in. Also along with the above mentioned, we could have done with bringing Cronin in a lot earlier. Strauss was working hard in the loose and at scrum-time but his darts were awful. We were being targeted at the line-out time and again. Cronin is pretty decent in the loose too & his throwing was better. Serious questions to be asked about Kidney's ability to manage the 23 man game!!

Comment

Cronin's lineouts were awful.
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Agree with all that Richard. On 63 or so we had a scrum under their posts, 1 point in it and all to play for; their fresh LHP buckled Ross - opportunity gone and a few minutes later we had a scrum under our own posts - reason we were there was because Ross's legs were gone in the previous scrum and between the kick to touch and their fresh forwards working it up a bit; still no move from Kidney. Inevitable happens in the scrum again and an easy 3-pointer for the young FH. Game now out to 4 points and any chance of a win gone with about 10 mins left. I think in the meantime Ryan and DoC had swapped again. That was the game gone for lack of prompt action when it was obvious to anyone, even someone like me who knows nothing of the front row.

Agree as well that McCarthy was way fresher than Ryan and that DoC looked full of running - as he should coming off the bench. Yep, very poor game management from the sidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by East Terrace View Post
          Cronin is pretty decent in the loose too & his throwing was better.
          What game were you watching? His throwing was awful today.
          Life is good

Comment

Have to agree. Ireland's lineout was a bit of a mess today. To be expected though, considering the absence of Best, POC etc.
            "Newmarket hit Clonlara hard in the first ten minutes but doing so to a team like Clonlara is like hitting a bear. Better off to play away and not to antagonise the beast."

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
              Cronin's lineouts were awful.
              From what i seen of leinster this year....that seems to.be the case too.
              "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Re: Substitution strategy

Originally posted by East Terrace View Post
                Couldn't agree more with all of the above Richard. I was watching the game in both frustration & amazement that these guys who were out on their feet after giving thier all were not being called ashore! We had a decent bench who would have been itching to tear in. Also along with the above mentioned, we could have done with bringing Cronin in a lot earlier. Strauss was working hard in the loose and at scrum-time but his darts were awful. We were being targeted at the line-out time and again. Cronin is pretty decent in the loose too & his throwing was better. Serious questions to be asked about Kidney's ability to manage the 23 man game!!
                Strauss' s darts were fine. Fast and straight. Our lineout was fine after the first couple. 1 of which was cronin btw.
                Cronin is a serious risk still in the lineout
                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

I honestly think Kidney needs to go. POM was making tired man mistakes for 10 minutes before came off. Ross did several big carries that showed he was out on his feet but it took a series of poor scrums before he comes off. McCarthy subbing topped it though, WTF was he doing?
                  \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

The DOC on / off was awful. Not very happy
                    My computer thinks I'm gay
                    What's the difference anyway
                    When all the people do all day
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Personally I found the Leo Cullen 6 second appearance quite hilarious.

But yes, Kidney has major issues in his use of the bench. Too many pre-planned subs and not enough tactical ones.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                        The DOC on / off was awful. Not very happy
                        I think that was forced as well due to head injury rules - the weird bit was leaving Ryan to finish the match when McCarthy was the better player. Or for that matter leaving Heaslip on the park.
                        \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

I think kidney only makes pre planned subs. He doesn't seem to do tactical subs.
                          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork View Post
                            I think kidney only makes pre planned subs. He doesn't seem to do tactical subs.
                            If that's the case, then Irelan would be better served if Deccie wasn't there.

Let him go off and play a round of golf, read a bouk or just have a snooze. Let Niallo or Axel manage the game and we might actually win something. There were things begging to be done there today and it was just ignored. Sideline let the team (& country..) down, bigtime.

Comment

Even better timing of pre planned subs would be an improvement. As pointed out elsewhere, D'arcy had run himself into the ground 1st half and was gone during the10-15min where SA upped the tempo early in 2nd half. Although one also has to ask whether we can afford a player who has no more than 40mins in him. Ross was also gone after 60mins although for props that's perhaps less unusual. The Mccarthy sub was obviously pre planned as well as he was our best player and should have stayed on.

Unfortunately the evidence is not shining a good light on kidney.
                              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X