Lansdowne decision due today.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lansdowne decision due today.

The big decision is imminent, rumours in the media that it will have reduced capacity, be unviable and that the IRFU are going it alone at the Irish Glass Bottle plant in Ringsend.

Anybody know what time the decision is due? I hope its nice and early so we can waste the day discussing it in a 50 page thread[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

What kind size are we talking of for Ringsend?

Comment

I've no idea but I would hope that it would be about 70K with a roof etc. the Lansdowne project was always a bad idea, its just too small. A 70K in Ringsend with a roof would attract a huge number of non rugby events.

Comment

The Irish Glass site would allow a much increased capacity it is reckonedapprox 75,000. Would cause huge political problems for Bertie though and leave the FAI snookered.Its estimatedthey can swap LR for the Irish glass site and 300 million euro.

My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

The Irish Glass site would allow a much increased capacity it is reckonedapprox 75,000. Would cause huge political problems for Bertie though and leave the FAI snookered.Its estimatedthey can swap LR for the Irish glass site and 300 million euro.

Nothing but pluses there sewa, what's the down side?
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

The FAI can rent the new stadium in RingsendI assume. I can see where the IRFU are coming from in all this, the FAI were getting a 50% share in the new Lansdowne road even though the IRFU owned the real estate worth anything upto €1Billion.

€300m would go a long way towards the new stadium, with lottery grants,premium seats and corporate boxes they would be able to finance most of it without any major debt.

Comment

The down side is the government have committed to paying out a large chunk of a new development providedthey get the credit. For the IRFU to go it alone would be to kiss goodbye to that money and a lot of politicalgoodwill.Bertie still dreams of Abbotstown.
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/.../story21585.as p

Trying to find an article I read on it the weekend but this has a few details.
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

The down side is the government have committed to paying out a large chunk of a new development providedthey get the credit. For the IRFU to go it alone would be to kiss goodbye to that money and a lot of politicalgoodwill.Bertie still dreams of Abbotstown.

Bertie might be history soon enough though[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Not often I do this but LF had a decent debate on it with articles posted so,

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=5541
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Ringsend looks like a good idea, assuming a much larger capacity could be accomodated.

Comment

The more I think about it the better it sounds. Bigger stadium and control of it still with the IRFU. They still have that land bank out in Newlands cross donn't they? Could sell some of that if additional funding is required.
                        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
                          Ringsend looks like a good idea, assuming a much larger capacity could be accomodated.
                          Yea, it seems like a go0d idea alright, where is Ringsend??........ n(o smut please..!! [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img][img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img])
                          He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/03/04/story21585.as p

Trying to find an article I read on it the weekend but this has a few details.

That is a stunning "read between the lines" piece, isn't it ?

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
                              The more I think about it the better it sounds. Bigger stadium and control of it still with the IRFU. They still have that land bank out in Newlands cross donn't they? Could sell some of that if additional funding is required.

They wouldn't need to sell the Newlands land to fund it. The sale of Lansdowne would leave them with a massive stadium and hundreds of millions left over. Cushty. [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X