X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planet Rugby’s 6N Awards

The 2007 Six Nations Awards
    Tuesday 20th March 2007

It's that time again, the time when the tackles, kicks and hits are forgotten, and we gather in the clubhouse to reflect on the silly side of what we get ourselves into every weekend.

Gathered below are a few of the moments of mirth from the past seven weeks of action, and if you think of any you feel we missed out on, drop us a line!

THE RICHARD KIMBLE AWARD FOR MISTAKEN IDENTITY

Scotland wing Sean Lamont who earned a yellow card after Rory Lamont hit David Marty with as late tackle in Paris. True, the brothers do bare a vague family resemblance, but touch-judge Donal Courtney - who flagged the incident - might owe Sean a drink or two. Firstly, he was so close to the tackle that he almost fell over it. Secondly, Sean had the ball at the time; Rory was wrapped around David Marty. Thirdly, Rory is dark-haired; Sean sports a keep-the-ships-off-the-rocks peroxide mop. And lastly, Rory plays his rugby bare-handed; Sean wears fluorescent orange mitts that wouldn't look out of place on the meat hooks of a motorway maintenance man.

Fine: Courtenay and Lamont to swap clothes and have a pint together for clarity's sake.

THE 'HOME IS A CASTLE' AWARD FOR MAKING THINGS TRICKY FOR VISITORS

Twickenham's stadium outfitters, who kindly gave video referee Donal Courtenay a TV screen so small he couldn't even see the corner flag/touchline that Jonny Wilkinson brushed when scoring his try against Scotland, while the rest of the watchng rugby world got Wilkinson's right knee's indiscretion in glorious digitally-pixelated frame-by-frame slo-mo and rainbowrama technicolour.

THE MA'A NONU AWARD FOR ODD PRE-MATCH ROUTINE

After receiving a mysterious summons from a local pub, Martin Corry, George Chuter and Julian White found themselves in Lord Bath's Kama Sutra room at Longleat House on the Monday preceding the Wales game. Although we should point out that none of if his lordship's 'wifelets' were present, Corry later remarked that he had never seen White so 'enthusiastic'. This bizarre episode goes a long way to explain why the English chose to roll over and take it in Cardiff.

THE FREDDIE FLINTOFF AWARD FOR POST-MATCH ANTICS

This goes to England tyro David Strettle who was forced to imbibe the 14 glasses of red wine that his thoughtful team-mates had sent his way following his debut in Dublin. Just as the young wing was settling his 'fine' in full, a bottle of champagne was plonked in front of him. "Courtesy of Mr Ronan O'Gara," announced the waiter.

NICKNAME OF THE TOURNAMENT

The tongue-in-cheek moniker that Wales bestowed upon Stephen Jones for his pitiful record as skipper of the side - Captain Crap. Gareth Thomas led Wales against England, meaning poor Stephen remains 'CC' for at least the next couple of months.

THE SOFA-IN-THE-STUDY AWARD FOR MARITAL BLISS

Referee Chris White, who might yet still be paying for his decision to call time on the Italy-Wales match just as it was getting interesting - his lady wife hails from the valleys!

THE TRUE SPIRIT OF RUGBY AWARD

This goes to two: Wales for accepting referee Chris White's apology about the 'misunderstanding' in Rome with good grace, and Irish TMO Simon McDowell for awarding the French try that broke Irish hearts.

DIEHARD FAN OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP

This goes to Rhodri Griffiths of Cardiff who was knocked down by a car driven by Wales star Alix Popham on the Tuesday preceding the England game.

"I have no recollection of being hit, I was knocked unconscious on the floor for a couple of minutes," Rhodri groaned from his hospital bed.

"I was told I did a 360 degree flip in the air. I came down on the bonnet and I was flung across the road as he braked. My

Team of the Six Nations
    Tuesday 20th March 2007

It's Rugby World Cup year, and with the Six Nations over and local rivalries laid to rest for another 11 months, the old arguments about North v South are about to be dragged out of cupboards everywhere, dusted down and flung at the opposition.

It's also the end of a Six Nations that started indifferently, threw up a few eyebrow-raisers to keep it interesting, and culminated in one of the finest finales to the tournament in living memory.

Different players shone at different times - remember Vincent Clerc's performance against Ireland? David Strettle bursting onto the scene against France? James Hook's solo against England? Alessandro Troncon's two man-of-the-match displays?

But there were a hardy few who stood out all the way through, even if it was because their teams were so obviously weaker without them on occasion. These are the men who make it into our Six Nations Team of the Tournament, but are these the men who could take on and thrash a Southern Hemisphere XV? Let the bar banter begin...

15 Girvan Dempsey - The Irish full-back has entered a renaissance period, rising above a tired-looking Geordan Murphy in the pecking order. Not the silky runner Murphy is, but he brings a little more bite and thrust to his excursions into the three-quarter line, causing all sorts of problems and making all sorts of opportunities for those around him. Even took a couple himself...

14 Sean Lamont - A quiet tournament to begin with, but that try in Paris was confirmation that his huge stride is back to terrorise defences everywhere, and he got through a lot of unsung work coming into the line off his wing. Imagine what he could do if he had a genuine playmaker at fly-half.

13 Brian O'Driscoll - Not a lot to say about BOD that hasn't already been said. Absolutely no coincidence that Ireland lost the crucial game with a try scored through his defensive channel when he wasn't there. Is so revered in Irish rugby circles that pulled hamstrings are now actually seen as stigmata... how Ireland must be praying that his twitchy muscle will relax before September.

12 Gordon D'Arcy - Often overshadowed by the rugby deity outside him, D'Arcy has bounced back from the injury that robbed him of the momentum he showed in 2004, and he matched his illustrious partner step for step in creative genius and strong running this year once more.

11 Denis Hickie - Another Ireland back to bounce back from a long-term injury, Hickie has carried on the superlative run of form he came into at the end of last season and is heading for the Rugby World Cup peerless throughout his land. Or any other land in the North.

10 Ronan O'Gara - Remember these words: 'Kiwis know their rugby and know a lemon when they see one. O'Gara should have painted himself yellow and jumped into a gin and tonic. His kicking was duff, his tackling was duff and he didn't look like he could run a pack of girl guides'? Perhaps the author may be asking for the tomato ketchup right about now... Sadly, we were robbed of the chance to watch Ronan shoot down his nemesis Jonny Wilkinson, but the way in which the fly-half orchestrated the obliteration of England and Italy showed that Munsterman has come a long way from the timid chap who suffered so in 2005.

9 Harry Ellis - This was a particularly close call, as Alessandro Troncon of Italy merits a mention for the way in which he marshalled, as does Pierre MIgnoni for his game-breaking abilities, but Ellis offered a little more than just direction, taking the initiative and creating stacks of chances for his team. Sadly for him, few of his team-mates were on his wavelength.

8 Sergio Parisse - Another close call, with Denis Leamy close behind, but Parisse's defensive displays when Italy were being rocked, as well as strong running going

Comment

That selection is spot on-not convinced about Lamont over Clerc but the rest couldn`t be argued with IMO

Comment

Would pick mignoni over ellis. other than that not too much disagreement here.
        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

For me

15 undecided

14 Clerc

13 Darcy

12 Jauzion

11 No stand outs Hickie showed a yellow streak against the Scots but despite getting MOTM for that match(undeserved really) how he didnt get MOTM for his rampant display against Italy bemuses me

10 Tough call but O'Gara - his kicking up to the Italian match was explemary and his range of passing in that match was simply joyous

9 Mignoni (by a country mile)

8 Parisse

7 Wallace - Ran amok against Italy and was Ireland's best performer all through against the French. His handling has improved all ends up over the last season or two.Combined with strength and pace it allows him the ability to offload whilst taking one or more tacklers out of the game

6 Betsen

5 Borto

4 O'Connell

3 Castro

2 Ibanez

1 Milloud

Comment

Originally posted by Speebs
            11 No stand outs @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Hickie showed a yellow streak against the Scots@@@@/SPAN> but despite getting MOTM for that match(undeserved really) how he didnt get MOTM for his rampant display against Italy bemuses me
            [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img] I must have missed that, although I agree he didn't deserve MOTM for that game, and was clearly MOTM against Italy.

Comment

If he put his feckin head down and went for the line hed have got there.

Then again hes had to wear a head banadage more than once in the past so youd hardly blame him!

He was brilliant against Italy though. Italians couldnt deal with his incursions into the centre - then again they had to try and watch Darcy and O'Driscoll so it must he hard to pick targets in that scenario.

Comment

Working...
              X